Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

New Who (spoilers)

ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie."London, UK
So, what did everyone think of the opener?

I really enjoyed it, tho for some reason I found it a little disjointed at the beginning. It wasn't until the 2nd half that it seemed to reach its stride again. I'll certainly be interested see how the 2nd part plays out, what with the Doctor being killed at the start. Even tho you just knew he couldnt be 'dead', it was a good twist!

The Silence were good too, I can see them being a good "Big Bad" for this season!

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    I discovered from watching Confidential that W. Morgan Sheppard and Mark Sheppard are related, didn't know that before, hadn't even thought about it.

It was a very dramatic start to the season, curious to see where this is going both next week and for the rest of the series.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    2 hours 13 minutes and 23 seconds until we see it here, at least by BBC America's counter in the corner.

Jake
  • So am I the only one that thinks River Song is the one in the spacesuit? If not now, than the 'future' sequence at the beginning of the episode?
    I think River Song is in the suit in both time periods.
    It seems too easy to me, but it does link up two things we know about her, first she's spent time in jail because she killed a man (whom she refused to name) and second, she has yet to face the hardest day of her life. The question then, what is the reason?

Also, based on age given by the older Docter, he has gone 200 years without need to regenerate. I wonder how the writers get around this when they need a new actor?

Jake
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Maybe in the "future" suit, but if it was her as a child in the suit to begin with, then surely she'd already know what was going on? Unless it comes down to one of those "time can be re-written moments"?
    Freejack, the hardest day of her life she described was when she first appeared and met David Tennant's Doctor.

If she did kill The Doctor, yes, it's a good best she has some idea of what's going on. She might not want to change the course of events though, because it would mean she never met The Doctor.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE=Freejack;192491]Also, based on age given by the older Docter, he has gone 200 years without need to regenerate. I wonder how the writers get around this when they need a new actor?

Jake[/QUOTE]
    Simple! The Doctor simply faked his death, like in the second part of the Pandorica two-parter, and lied about his age.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE=WORF;192493]Freejack, the hardest day of her life she described was when she first appeared and met David Tennant's Doctor.[/QUOTE]

She couldn't know that yet tho, that's her future, her 'death'. Yes it was when she first met the Doctor, but not that day.

[QUOTE=Vertigo1;192498]Simple! The Doctor simply faked his death, like in the second part of the Pandorica two-parter, and lied about his age.[/QUOTE]

We saw his regeneration interrupted and his body burnt tho. I agree something else is going on, but I don't think it's that
  • [QUOTE=WORF;192493]If she did kill The Doctor, yes, it's a good best she has some idea of what's going on. She might not want to change the course of events though, because it would mean she never met The Doctor.[/QUOTE]But if she was in the suit, why did she shoot at it?

Also, I think there's one thing people are missing. Both Doctors greeted Amy and company exactly the same way each time - "king of being okay" and all that. Almost like he didn't remember the first time. Or he did, and he was deliberately trying to send some sort of message.
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;192499]We saw his regeneration interrupted and his body burnt tho. I agree something else is going on, but I don't think it's that[/QUOTE]

Aye, but it's also entirely possible that it wasn't even him at all. Remember, this is The Doctor we're talking about. He sent out those letters, so they would all be there to witness what happened. He knew exactly what was going to happen, so to me this reeks of a pre-planned event. This was a setup, just like the last few minutes of the Pandorica two-parter. Steven Moffatt isn't about to write himself into a hole like that.
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;192499]We saw his regeneration interrupted and his body burnt tho. I agree something else is going on, but I don't think it's that[/QUOTE]

Aye, but it's also entirely possible that it wasn't even him at all. Remember, this is The Doctor we're talking about. He sent out those letters, so they would all be there to witness what happened. He knew exactly what was going to happen, so to me this reeks of a pre-planned event. This was a setup, just like the last few minutes of the Pandorica two-parter. Steven Moffatt isn't about to write himself into a hole like that.
  • [QUOTE=Vertigo1;192508****e, but it's also entirely possible that it wasn't even him at all. Remember, this is The Doctor we're talking about. He sent out those letters, so they would all be there to witness what happened. He knew exactly what was going to happen, so to me this reeks of a pre-planned event. This was a setup, just like the last few minutes of the Pandorica two-parter. Steven Moffatt isn't about to write himself into a hole like that.[/QUOTE]Oh I'd believe he'd write himself into a hole, just so he can "Time can be re-written!" himself out of it.

Or maybe that's what the silence want. Maybe if he changes his fate there's some terrible consequence.

EDIT: LOL what part of your post number got word filtered.
    Moffat said in Doctor Who Confidential that it definitely was the Doctor and he was definitely dead. I don't doubt there will be some clever trickery involved, but we need more pieces to the puzzle first.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Another clone of the Doctor perhaps.

Look out for body parts.. :P
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;192512]Moffat said in Doctor Who Confidential that it definitely was the Doctor and he was definitely dead. I don't doubt there will be some clever trickery involved, but we need more pieces to the puzzle first.[/QUOTE]
    Welp, so much for that theory then! *goes back to the drawing board*
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I don't think this is really a spoiler, but if you frame-by-frame when the spacesuit at the lake lifts it's visor, you can see Spoiler: the chin of one of the Silent aliens.
    Having just watched the second episode [sp]I think it's pretty obvious the girl in the space suit is Amy's daughter. And I think she's going to be River Song as well, someone I've suspected of being Time Lord for awhile.[/sp]
    But [sp]if she's Amy's daughter then she'd only be half Time Lord, but if the Doctor is the father then didnt River just gave her father a kiss to make even Luke and Leia blush?[/sp]
    Good point but...

[sp]I don't think The Doctor is the father. They were discussing Amy's concerns about how time travel would affect her baby. It's already been established that spending time in the TARDIS does things to people.[/sp]
    Good point also, however [sp]that would turn the girl into what would essentially be a Time Lord. Ok she wouldnt have the knowledge and skills of a full Time Lord, but still...[/sp]

I'm very intrigued to find out the truth behind it all now :)
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I saw/a guy drive by today with the license plate "Dalek"
    [QUOTE=WORF;192560]Having just watched the second episode [sp]I think it's pretty obvious the girl in the space suit is Amy's daughter. And I think she's going to be River Song as well, someone I've suspected of being Time Lord for awhile.[/sp][/QUOTE]
    That explains why she's able to run the Tardis...
    Kinda makes sense, but then why or how would her daughter ended have up with the Silence?

Jake
    Hrm, so the [sp] one-eyed researcher is this season's crack-in-the-fabric-of-the-universe I guess....[/sp]

Jake
    Indeed, I think it's going to be interesting to see how that pans out.

A good stand alone episode this week, altho I kinda wish they'd kept up the pace with the main storyline a bit more. Still, it was a good entertaining episode
    I suspect [sp]the mysterious researcher is The Rani.[/sp]

Normally, standalone episodes are easier to watch but I think after such a heavy focus on the main storyline for the first two episodes, it takes a bit of getting used to.

On the plus side, Amy with a sword :D

If you watched Confidential too, you can see how much she really enjoyed that scene.
    We had some friends over to watch (since they don't get BBC America). We started joking about [sp]Schrodinger's Womb[/sp]

Jake
    Something tells me, the writers re-watched Pirates of the Caribbean... ;)
    Pirates In Space!

Something tells me they will show up again somewhere.