Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

New Item for Desk

Thought I'd show this to you all since I think you'll appreciate it. I recently got my own office (yay!) at work, and have thoroughly enjoyed locating items with which to decorate it.

While searching for some reasonably sized/priced Star Wars vehicles of display quality (which are difficult to find!), I came across these really cool 1/144 scale vehicles made by F-Toys in Japan. Highly detailed for their size and fully painted! So I scoured ebay and various online vendors, and finally landed a set of Rebel Fighters (A-Wing, B-Wing, X-Wing, Y-Wing)!

They are a tad small to display on their own in an office, but I realized that together, they could make an attractive addition. The only thing unattractive about them are their rather plain bases.

Well, my dad does a lot of wood working so I got in touch with him. Went down there to visit one weekend, and came back with this!

Next step? Track down the TIE Fighter, Interceptor, Bomber and X1 Advanced for an Imperial display! That base will be a little trickier!

Comments

• MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    I like it! Very chic. :)
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    You got the wrong logo there.. unless you plan on having another one with the imperial logo and imperial fighters. Then that's better. :P

We dont want none of that rebel scum here.. :P
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    That's awesome! I want one now!

Amazingly, Refa's suggestion is a good one: you should definitely do an Imperial one too! Your work colleagues can then tell what kind of mood you're in by your desk ornament :D
  • Yep, I definitely plan on doing the Imperial display too. Just a couple things holding me back:

-the cost of the ships. Where the rebel fighters were $15-20 each, the ties go for $25-40 (with the exception of the tie advanced). There are practically no US sellers so most of them have to come from Hong Kong.

-the design of the base. The rebel symbol proved trickier than I thought with the points; they have a higher chance of breaking off. The Imperial base has a different issue; the interior parts will take some doing to get cut out.

Neither is insurmountable, it's just going to take some more time and money!
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Another option to consider, find older versions of the Hasbro Titanium Series toys. They were generally high quality die-cast models of likely the same scale. Probably cheaper, too. I know I was able to pull in most of these with ease.
  • I considered it; the titaniums would be more durable if nothing else. However, the scale of the Titanium line is a bit smaller, the ships aren't in scale with one another, and the moldings are much more detailed on the F-Toys models (apparently done in cooperation with Fine Molds).

That said, I do really like the Titanium line; impressive paint apps on some of them! I collected all of the BSG ships, but never really jumped on the Star Wars ones...not too sure why.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Very impressive.

The Titanium ships are pretty good, if you only want the fighters, the scale should be fine. Plus they did release a TIE Defende too ;)

I like the giant lego stormtrooper in the background :)
  • The circle is now complete...!

Tracked down the TIEs and my dad cut out the Imperial symbol for me over Thanksgiving. I finally had time to finish the sanding and varnishing over Christmas/New Years.

Funny thing happened when I finished it though...I decided I didn't want clumsy hands all over these awesome displays, so I've decided to display them at home in our Star Wars room (yeah, we have one of those now...there was no more denying it, for either of us!)

I did pick up a set of the Koto ARTFX+ Stormtrooper (TFU versions) for the office though. I've come to appreciate Kotobukiya's durability vs. detail; they make for great 'common area' display pieces!
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    That's the same fugly Cisco VoIP phone we have at work as well. ;)
  • Yeah, my colleagues--who have all been here longer than me--have the nicer, full-color, touch-screen ones!
  • That's pretty cool...

I'd like to represent my coolest object on the desk, the Milky Way galaxy.

Text is actually located on the backside, thus the mirror image. Also the camera made a blur on the galaxy core for some reason, dirty lens or something.

The image makes it a bit tricky to see, but its a glass cube and the galaxy inside has been formed by shooting tiny fractions in glass with laser.
  • Very cool, Sinclair! I've always been a fan of the laser-art cubes, but never found one with a design I really liked...

...until now. Where did you get it?
  • I got it from [url]http://www.crystalnebulae.co.uk/[/url]

Everything worked well with the order and all, it came to Finland in one piece. Also I found the price very reasonable.

Its made by one scientist/professor from SixtySymbols, and it was featured here:
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjGlBn-0TSc[/url]
  • Thanks for the links! How big is the cube?
  • Here is a pic to see the size of it, depending how big your hand is :)
    Its roughly 6cm each side.

Seriously speaking, it is not that impressive than I first thought. After I first got it out from the box, I glanced it for few minutes with good detail and then put it on the table.
    Its like "salt inside glass", but I find it more important to understand what it represents. An definite eye-catcher certainly, but it doesn't provide fun for weeks.

Still I can recommend it highly, it is something that you can enjoy seeing every day.
  • Hey, I've got decorations! Piles of papers that I should clean up!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Neat! If I had space, and a desk, I'd have all of them!
  • I think that all of use that work at offices have a similar fugly Cisco VoIP phone...

Cool ships displays, BTW. :)