Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

The Future?

Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
MS posted a Windows 8 preview: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I&feature=player_embedded[/url]

Somehow it does not look functional from a work flow standpoint, more like a cluttered advertisement than an operating system.

I'm quite disappointed, yet another product continuing the the trend of cluttered over simplification by sacrificing usability from Microsoft.

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Random thoughts:

[list][*]I like the look of the interface. I think it looks more flexible and powerful than the iOS interface and would make for a quite nice tablet interface (but see point #4). Whether it still will be by the time it finally releases is a whole other question (my money is on "no").
    [*]It would be a good interface for my parents or anyone else who doesn't do much with the computer and wants it to be easy.
    [*]It reminds me a lot of LCARS.
    [*]You can see that, despite their talk of "all new Windows!" it's actually just a shell. This was shown when they flipped over to a "standard" Windows app (Excel) and it brought with it what appeared to be a vanilla Windows 7 shell. So... MS is apparently still scared of losing its legacy support.
    [*]One video does not make an OS, and MS has a lot to do to prove that they can turn a video into a complete, coherent OS rather than the usual jumbled mess of anti-usability.[/list]
  • Seems like a good way to make your fingertips sore.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    The idea is to create an OS that works on desktops and tablets. As Biggles pointed out, you can see a more familiar looking interface running behind the scenes.

But they don't need to show that part off because everyone knows it already. I imagine if you run Windows 8 on a desktop, you get the option of the tiles or a standard Windows layout.

Biggles, I kept thinking about LCARS too when I watched it. I wonder how long it will take for someone to implement that properly.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    Honestly, I could see this working on a tablet PC...and that's about it. That interface won't work for most users, on a laptop, let alone a desktop.

That, and I also really hope they don't go the "app store" route.