Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Kerbal Space Program

I don't know how many of you have heard of this fancy little game where you build rockets and send them to space!

Some video from youtube to catch the idea:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrBNPanfJ7Y[/url]

Download the game here: [url]http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/download.php[/url]

Its quite fun actually to build up a rocket and setup stages, though I have yet to witness a successful launch of my own creation...

Comments

• croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Fun!
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Yeah, that was fun!

The crew of my second rocket even survived!
  • It can be rather frustrating too... With simple rocket design it is possible to go far enough to be satisfied with the result, but once you start to build a super-rocket things just tend to fall apart.

I've been trying to use solid rocket boosters as much as possible, but usually I'm faced with overwhelming overheating problems...

There are some mod packs available which could help, but they also make the task way too easy...
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Hehe, yet another time sink. Funny stuff though.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Fun game to play around with. :)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I shall investigate later :)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    This game is amazing. There is already an active modder community in their forum making parts that allow for significantly more advanced multi-stage launch vehicles.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    wow, must try!
    Next version will include a moon. :D
    Not the moon, the Mun :D
    Can you land on it?
  • Not sure about landing, but you can crash on it.
    oh right i did download a newer version, completely forgot to try it out. :p
    Land? Crash? I'm going to build a rocket tall enough to just reach it :D
    Managing to crash into it will be a great achievement. That means I atleast got the trajectory almost correct :)
    0.12 pre release 1 is up. Going to the Mun is hard x.x I can't seem to get a rocket with enough fuel left to get into lunar orbit. When I do I totally miss and end up orbiting the sun!
    Made it to the mun twice. Once with fuel running out just as I touched down so the last rocket got destroyed but command module survived. Next time I was kind of late on the breaks so crashed into the mun at 55m/s.
    How did you do that? I managed to get about quarter of the way so far.
    I guess you need a space craft that got enough fuel and isn't too heavy. But I just tried it with a basic space craft a made it without problems (except the landing). Also noticed that the time it takes to move from Kerbal to the Mun the Mun moves almost 1/5 of it's orbital path.
    Only managed to crash into the dark side of the moon so far :) Btw: The wings looks kinda useless to have in space :)

Will be cool when the game implements...well..let's say the ability to place a big space station in orbit.....lots of fun for modding :)
    The wings make it look cool. ;)

Did make a trip to the Mun and back today, but failed the design of the last stage by not adding a separation for the command module (noticed it when I was reentering Kerbal atmosphere). It ended with three dead space men.
    I'm fairly close to landing on the mun. My two issues is that my initial launch vehicle is too big causing time to get to Kerth orbit to take forever. The second is that my orbit around the mun is too big and I use up all my landing fuel just to start landing.

[IMG]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2323/munner.png[/IMG]
    0.12 final is out
    heh, that's quite a big space ship.
    I never got to play KSP. Am I too late to the game? I believe it got an official release not too long ago.
  • You are too late. If you don't play it within 20 months of its release, the game will uninstall itself and never install again.
    edited May 2015
    "Kerbal Space Program 1.0 is now available! on Apr 27 2015." Plenty of time then. I suppose you guys are done playing the game. lol Not sure if I get the career mode and how to get those points to unlock/research the parts to build the rockets and planes. It seems like fun though. ;-)
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    Release 1.0 came out this past Monday, and I've been spending waaay too much time with it. The aerodynamics engines has changed some, plus they've added realistic heat on reentry, so I'm having to re-learn some techniques.

The physics engine is spot on for ships, and they use a sphere-of-influence model for planetary physics.

There are *many* mods you can add that include interplanetary travel and space stations (nothing B5 sized) so I highly recommend it.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    You just have to build your B5-sized station in Orbit. Croxis was creating a massive station at one time :)
    My brother and I are madly in love with Space Engineers right now (and taking a break from our epic CK2/EU4 game). My server is intermittantly up (yay being windows only or I'd run it on my VPS) and if you are part of the firstones steam group you can join. There is an incomplete 1:1 hyperion ont he steam workshop too.