Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Need a backup solution

HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
I want to backup some important personal data online, however I have no idea where I need to go to do this or what is recommended. I cannot use my shared server account because the files are way too big, and most file sharing sites have an upper limit of about 10gb for file sizes. Some of these backup files are about 50gb. I would need around 500gb of space... Any ideas?

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I don't really trust most of the online backup systems, so I don't have much advice in terms of who to choose. One fairly good system I have seen, though, is getting some computing space, such as Amazon's virtual server, installing your own OS and running a backup system such as Bacula to it. It's quite a bit of effort to set up, though.

No matter who you choose, though, the most important thing is to ignore anything they say about encryption and do it yourself. [b]Always[/b] encrypt your data before you send it to the backup service if you don't control where the data is stored. It's the only way to be sure that your data is actually safe. For example, Dropbox claims that they encrypt your data on the server for safety, but because the encryption is server-side, there is no way to guarantee that it actually is, and even if it is, they control the key, not you. They can do whatever they want with it.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    I'd probably upload encrypted packs inside a password protected RAR.
  • 500gb is quite a much and it can easily become quite pricey when searching for provider.

Plenty of them offer 50gb or such, but 500gb goes usually to "enterprise grade" for some reason.

Google has storage space offering too, in form of Gmail, Picasa and Google docs space. I know that there were hacks to make Gmail mailbox to look like a storage space, 400gb costs 100$/year.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GmailFS[/url]
    It's against the rules though....
    [QUOTE=HuntSmacker;194328]I'd probably upload encrypted packs inside a password protected RAR.[/QUOTE]

Password-protected RARs are pretty much useless. Make some encrypted virtual discs with dmcrypt or TrueCrypt or something and upload those.

[QUOTE=sinclair;194329]500gb is quite a much and it can easily become quite pricey when searching for provider.[/QUOTE]

Actually, a lot of the "average user" hosting providers, such as Dreamhost (where Firstones lives at the moment) provide absurd limits, sometimes even "no limit." Although access speeds are not the best, they are viable as a remote storage space.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I was going to suggest Dreamhost too, they used to offer an insane amount of space, now it's just unlimited.

But I agree, you should encrypt your files before you put them up there.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    The issue with online storage is that most residential upload speeds are stupid slow and would take forever to do. You may wish to consider, as an addition or an alternative, getting an external hard drive and storing it in another location such as a safety deposit box at a bank.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I use a pair of seagate FreeAgent drives, one 500gb one 2tb, and just mirror the 500gb to the 2tb.
    I use two 1TB drives. I keep them both at work, and alternate which is the latest copy. It's far from perfect, but it's enough for my needs.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    [QUOTE]Make some encrypted virtual discs with dmcrypt or TrueCrypt or something and upload those.[/QUOTE]

Actually it is vitual discs, just packed into a rar for that extra protection. :D

BTW I have 1TB of disk space and hundreds of DVDRs, but I want a backup solution that would be safe in the event of a fire.
    The only drawback to having my 2 external drives and mirroring them locally, is if there were a fire or something of that ilk, i'd have no offisite backup, and since my backup is mostly my mp3's and photos, that'd be a few hundred gigs of data impossible to recover. so there is something to be said for offsite backup
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I GeoCache my Backup's in a secret cave...

Well, maybe not so secret but...
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    Even if you find a host, uploading and syncing that much data would take a long time. It might be worth your while, to just buy an external drive, and get a safety deposit box with your local bank/credit union.
    JackN... The BatCave???
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Most of us don't call that part of our anatomy a "secret cave."