Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Syfy Greenlights Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome

Comments

• Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    And starbuck was a little heavier than i remember her being.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    She doesn't look it in person. She must have lost weight.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    She did over the course of the seasons
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Some [URL="http://blastr.com/2010/12/-concept-art-from-battles1s.php"]concept art[/URL] has appeared now. Gotta say I like the retro look for the Raptor! Not sure about the Cylon 'snake' tho...
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Agreed on both counts. I love that variation of the Raptor, as it seems to perfectly slot into the style of that time period. I'm wary of the 'snake" concept as well, largely because it seems to be of such single-function operation as to not be of Cylon origin. So much of what they made had multiple uses...and that just seems unlikely to be practical.

Also, doesn't the idea of a Humanoid Cylon (even if only a mechanical endoskeleton/organic overlay violate canon in that the first time we were able to discover that some models looked "like us" was after the decimation of Caprica?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I cannot fathom what purpose the "cython" would serve other than "plot device."
  • [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;190488]Sorry, I didnt think anyone would mind if I threw RC out of the airlock![/QUOTE]

I don't think he'd even notice until a few hours later. "Wha...who?...how'd I get out here?" It's kinda like giving Biggles some green tea. He might notice somethings different in the tank, but will take him awhile to figure out what.

:D
    Sanfam, [sp]the humanoid Cylon fits in with the ending of Caprica. I would go as far to say the identity of that Cylon is pretty clear.[/sp]

The retro Raptor does fit nicely between the style of military craft from Caprica and what we're used to on BSG. The snake seems like a silly idea though.

Also, I'm not sure I like the other humanoid Cylon either. It looks more like a super battle droid from Star Wars. And where is the single red eye that Cylons are famous for?
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Well, it's all concept art. This is well early in the "throw shit against the wall and see what sticks" stage. I'd bet a lot of that stuff isn't even based on anything in the script. I'm sure things will have dialed back to a more traditional look by the time production starts.
    It's been awhile since this thread was updated!

The trailer was posted today. Hard to know what it's about since it's just a collection of action shots to overly loud music with no dialogue at all but at least it looks like BSG.

Not sure it's really needed though and I don't think Syfy have even decided how they are going to release the final product.

[URL="http://io9.com/5895080/totally-badass-trailer-for-battlestar-galacticas-cylon-war-prequel-blood-and-chrome"]Link[/URL]
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Looks like it has potential.

To be honest as there'd been very little news about it I thought it was dead in the water. Tho given how quickly networks will pull the plug on things these days, it might soon be regardless!
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    I didn't realize that they had done so much already. Yeah, its a rock video without a lot of information, but it looks like it has some potential.
    You know, speaking of webisodes... What became of the ones they did for Battlestar Galactica? They aren't on the DVD boxed sets are they? Specifically the one they did with Bill Adama finding the Cylon basestar and the original hybrid.
    The Razor Websodes are on the Razor DVD (and, almost certainly, Blu-Ray) as a special feature (an infinitesimally extended version of webisodes 3 through 7 is included within the unrated cut of the movie, from the start of the dogfight sequence to when Adama watches the Basestar fly away).

The Season 3 Webisodes are in the first season 3 disc, though oddly, the season 4.5 Webisodes, which were the most well-produced and most important from a storyline perspective (because otherwise there's no reason for Gaeta to go from being perfectly all right with defector Cylons to being the biggest anti-Cylon bigot on the ship) have never been released on home-video. It's a shame, too, since they're just the right length that they could've been edited together into a bonus episode. It'd be the bottle show to end all bottle shows, but what the heck?

Anyway, all you could get from that trailer was production art, so here's my production art reaction:

I figured it'd have to look stylized, because you need Avatar-level time and money to get virtual sets that are indistinguishable from physical ones, and I like the direction they went with it. Some people might say it looks cartoony, or like a video game, but frak them. That's what they said about Babylon 5, too.

I like that they took the opportunity with the virtual sets to expand Galactica's hangar a bit, since it was always kind of cozy (and there was no way those giant shuttlecraft could've fit in it). The racks of Vipers and large number of elevators might be over the top, but what's the harm? I'm reserving judgement on the new Centurions, and I'm a little disappointed by the new Basestar, since it looks suspiciously like they took the Hybrid's Basestar from Razor and superimposed it on the TOS Basestar. Also, still very nervous about the robot ice-snake.

All in all, it's gotten my blood pumping, and it's nice to have more proof that it exists beyond a bunch of people saying they're working on it.
    And then they cancelled it.

[URL="http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/battlestar-galactica-blood-and-chrome-cancelled-syfy/"]Link[/URL]
    Honestly, I was never banking on it going to series in the first place, and I was never sure how they intended to do it as a regular web-show (I could barely understand how it made sense to serialize just the pilot movie on-line).

I do appreciate getting a semi-official answer for why the trailer was so rough, though.
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;194988]To be honest as there'd been very little news about it I thought it was dead in the water. Tho given how quickly networks will pull the plug on things these days, it might soon be regardless![/QUOTE]
    Well, I feel rather prescient now! Sadly :(
    They've uncancelled it now!

Supposedly this pilot will be aired on TV at some point and they'll make the rest as a webseries.
    And it's back!

Getting released as a webseries by...machinima.com of all places on friday.

[URL="http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/05/battlestar-galactica-prequel-date/"]Link[/URL]
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    So... what is it called now? Water and rust?
    BSG: Green versus Purple :p
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj50xJhWdcM]Here's the official trailer, complete with original music.[/url]
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Was the budget so tight that they made it using Beyond the Red Line?
    The trailer makes it look decent.
    Uhhh....that's kinda the job of a trailer SpiritOne!

:p
    And [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT79x4qM4FE]here's the link to the first episode.[/url]

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdisGiivP9c]Number two.[/url]

Well, I suppose that's one way to get seven episodes out in four weeks.
    Just watched and found it surprisingly decent. I'm glad they tied into Caprica a bit too.
    Since everyone can watch it, and the link is right here in the thread, can we agree for uncoded spoilers? Just to be safe, though, my thoughts.

Spoiler: I wasn't expecting any kind of deep meditation on the meaning of life from B&C. Everything about it, all the way back to the spiritual pilot in Razor, said it would much heavier on the action-adventure elements (while Caprica, for instance, went big in the opposite direction, with lots of character and philosophy, but very little action until the end). And even with the video game, handgun-versus-a-fighter opening, it's still not as over the top as Adama and a Centurion having a shootout and fistfight at 30,000 feet.

I wanted cheeseburger sci-fi, (but a good cheeseburger) and that's what I'm getting. A lot of the details are interesting. I like the old Raptors. Gotta wonder why the Galactica is not only so overgunned compared to what she ended up being, but compared to the other Battlestars in B&C, and what changed. Same question for the hangar bay. Maybe the Viper Mark IV was so awesome they decided they could close up the hangar bay a bit and do with only a quarter the original squadron size.

No such questions about the CIC though. That fits perfectly with the evolution we saw from the Galactica to the Pegasus/Valkyrie of smaller, more automated command systems. That's a lot of monitors and extras to be replaced by just Dee and Gaeta, but it fits.

Curious if the use of the holoband is going anywhere, or if it was something they were saving for the series. The prop looks dumbed down from the Caprica version, but we would've seen them around later if they'd been able to make them safe against the Cylons. That could be coming later in this movie, or a plotline saved for the potential series. In the mini, Adama really seemed to take it personally when he told Roslin that a lot of people died on Galactica because they wanted a faster computer to make life easier. It could be that Cylon computer infiltration hasn't yet become much of a thing.

Did we ever see Adama's back before? I know we would've remembered if he had a tattoo, even a little one. It's just as weird as I expected seeing the Caprica FBI agent as Commander of the Galactica, especially when he starts bringing up the Adamas' old mob ties.
    Episode 2 is up!

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdisGiivP9c"]Link[/URL]

I can agree to using spoiler tags as well.
    Idle thought that I just want to confirm after trying to Google a definitive answer. Is "Archeron" a real mythological or historical reference, or just a common misspelling of "Acheron"? I've seen it a lot, most recently in the name of the battlestar here. Same question for "Archonon" and "Archanon."

(It's not a total screwup, since RDM BSG does still have a few of the made up or altered names of TOS BSG. Maybe Archeron is to Archer as Gemenon is to Gemini)