Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Transit of Venus

Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
Beautiful event. Stayed cloudy for the first 40-50 minutes or so, then the sun came out, so I missed the best part of it, when Venus hit the sun. Spectacular non-the-less in my solar scopes.

Anyone else see it?

The next big event for us in the US is in 2017, when we experience a total eclipse for the entirety of North America.

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Nope, overcast and rain, but then I don't have the proper gear to look straight at the sun even if the conditions were perfect. I'm doing a ST:Voyager marathon right now and I see the starship move underneath a solar flare during the opening credits for every episode, that'll have to do for now. ;)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    It was cloudy here until 1:45pm, when I saw the first break in the clouds.

The transit finished at 1:36pm.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    My Fiance and I got to see it, focused the sun through some binoculars onto a piece of paper, could clearly see Venus.

Really cool! And I cant wait until the solar eclipse in 2017! :D
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I stayed up to watch the start of the transit on the nasa feeds, but judging by the sound of rain in the early morning there wouldn't have been any chance of actually seeing it for myself.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    The weather is always bad when there's something interesting to see in the sky :(
  • No, but let me guess, it was a tiny ball that went past the sun. Not very interesting, even if the next time it would occur happens couple hundred years from now...
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    There are people who travel the world to see a solar eclypse. You'd think if they've seen one that would be it, but no, it's like a reason to explore the planet no matter where it takes them. I guess these events mean something special to some people while to most it's not very interesting. I don't get tired watching the night sky. I discovered a really cool app called Star Walk which is pretty sweet as it uses your iPhone's compass to show you the night sky you are currently looking at. With some practice you can actually make out some constellations quite reliably. :)