Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Rewatched season 5...

So, I have watched Babylon 5 numerous times. But I always seem to taper off in Season 5. Usually because of Byron. Months go by, and eventually I just restart the series. Never making my way through season 5. (That and I think Deconstruction of Falling Stars was a wonderful end to the series).

This past week, I decided to correct that. I started with season 5. I'll admit, I skipped the Byron parts. Even the satisfaction of watching him blow himself up. Can't stand that guy, or that entire arc.

However, I was surprised by how good the rest of the season was. The shadow of Byron was cast so heavily on season five in my memory that I honestly couldn't remember much besides him, the bombing of Centauri Prime, and my loathing for Sleeping in Light. (Which I still have not re-watched, reading Legions of Fire first I think).

Re-watching it in its entirety for the first time, possibly since it's original air date, and I'm surprised how much I forgot. Them finding shadow tech on the Drazi home world for instance, totally forgot about that. #1 being made head of the ISA Intelligence division... just a couple excellent surprises that well...felt new.

I also forgot how well the show wrapped itself up. The last five episodes are basically one long farewell...tying up all the characters stories quite nicely, even some of the more minor characters. Almost hard to watch, especially knowing that some of the actors are now beyond the rim... but...refreshing at the same time. And I think, the ending is still unmatched in US television. SG1 didn't really have an ending, BSG fell apart, and...well, nothing else really told a continuous story IMHO. It was just so well done, and I forgot how WELL done it was.

Just thought I'd share.

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I find it quite interesting to go back to old shows and watch them again for the first time, with more mature eyes. ;)

You'll catch details you didn't even know were there in the first place.

I'm enjoying my Voyager marathon right now and it's a lot of fun. The web is also full of episode details and rumors about the cast. It's quite engrossing. :)

The ending of B5 was quite emotional at the time. I doubt it's any less now. It's the worst and the best moments that make us who we are. Life is good, while it lasts. :)
  • For starters, Byron never bothered me. I thought his followers were weird as hell (but then again, I see them at the sci-fi convention every year...I mean that in the general sense) but Byron himself never rubbed me the wrong way.

The rest of Season 5 is great. It has the best non-JMS episode (Day of the Dead), the Centauri War arc, etc. etc. It really was pretty good. I've liked it more and more as the years have gone by. During the first runthrough on the Sci-Fi channel when I was in middle school I was a bit "meh" by it but catching it on DVD in high school I was much more impressed.

Probably the moment that struck out at me more during the third-time through (the DVD) was the flashback Londo had after he is crowned emperor. The music swell during that....dear god, one of the most powerful moments of the entire series, and yet I didn't seem to emotionally catch it during the first two run throughs (but I was also 11 and 14 when those aired, so I was a bit younger).

And of course Sleeping in Light....I've seen it properly 4 times, the last time when I was 20.....got me everytime. Even just THINKING about it gets me. There's very few things that have had that same emotional pull on me.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Seafroggys;195402]I've liked it more and more as the years have gone by.[/QUOTE]

I've never been truly disappointed with Season 5. It didn't have the long build-up and clear payoff of the preceeding seasons, but it had a huge pay-off in character development. I also find Byron to be fairly well written and very well acted now. The followers are a little odd, still, but overall the arc is really not that bad.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    The Byron storyline is not the greatest part of B5 but it's far from the worst (TKO?). It also helps to consider the behind the scenes reasons as to why it happened, although it does make me curious as to what the show would have been like if the EA Civil War had gone into the first half of season five as planned.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    The Byron *storyline* wasn't that bad. But the actor and his followers just absolutely killed it, buried it, and salted the ground.

That said, the rest of season 5 was quite good. And...I watched Sleeping in Light. Gah that episode is such a downer on a whole.

Oh well...now to read Legions of Fire. :)
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    My husband and I rewatched it recently, and my opinion is the opposite, the actor/character Byron really isn't that bad. We both had a much harder time trying to get through the first half of season 1.

Granted the first season of any series is difficult to get through. We often have to pep talk each other to make it past a series growing pains (Eureka we nearly stopped watching after episode 2), but after BSG and Firefly which hit the ground running it makes it a lot more difficult.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Here's the thing.

Byron is supposed to be this charismatic likable person, that naturally draws people to him. (we are told this in the series many times).

But he's this moody jerk, who rarely says thank you, and is generally just an ass.

Now, picture if the personality of Marcus was applied to Byron. Suddenly you have a very likable person, driven, charming, capable, and friendly person who you sympathize with rather than want to punch. You know...a Byron with emotions other than angst. Puts a whole new spin on the entire arc, and makes it work. Even the other telepaths who look all moody and emo can be forgiven, as he'd naturally be there to help them out. Instead of "Poor me, I hear everything people think" we get a guy excited about who he is, yet knows the truth of the psi corps and how wrong they are. He's searching for a new solution, a home where teeps can be themselves. It's the way I think his character was intended, but they got the wrong actor for the spot, and worked with what they had.
    I can't help it, my brain automatically tries to push those episodes and my recollections thereof in the recycle bin of my mind. I just don't care about that part of the overall story. The Psi Corps was a much more interesting part of the subject matter of reading minds or mind control. The actor didn't really help, but he was not responsible for what was done with his character. I wonder if we'll live to see a remake of B5. ;)
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    From what JMS said in the script books, Byron was supposed to be somewhat creepy. He's supposed to be a charasmatic guy but we were also supposed to get a feeling that something wasn't right about him.
    I've always thought fans were too hard on the fifth season. It had it's flaws, and one of the major problems with it is the fact that it had to follow the mindblowing third and fourth seasons, but I still think it was good. Well, I have to admit that Byron's line are just so cheesy. It's weird, when I think about the character Byron I actually do like him, but when I watch an episode with him he just annoys me. I really liked Byron in the Psi Corps Trilogy, especially the one in Bester's head in the third book.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    A#. I never said it was good, I just said it was not as bad as people make it out to be and that, IMHO, first half of season 1 was worse.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    [QUOTE]Granted the first season of any series is difficult to get through. We often have to pep talk each other to make it past a series growing pains (Eureka we nearly stopped watching after episode 2), but after BSG and Firefly which hit the ground running it makes it a lot more difficult.[/QUOTE]

With the exception of Andromeda. Excellent first season, and downhill from there....
    And Dexter. The first two seasons were amazing, then after that...
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    And Lost.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Lost got better after the dreadful third season.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I never got past the halfway point of Lost's second season. Are you telling me it got even worse? There's no hope of me ever watching it then! ;)

As for Season 5, it has a lot to recommend it, but I admit I often had little interest in the Byron arc beyond the effect it ultimately had on Lyta. I agree the last few episodes were and excellent conclusion and farewell to the characters, but I regard Sleeping in Light as the finest finale out there. I think I've watched it no more than 4 times however, as to this day it puts me through the emotional wringer every time
    I know I've said it before, but I actually find The Fall of Centauri Prime much sadder. I remember the first time I saw it, it was so depressing, but so fitting. All of Londo's choices lead to that.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    That ones powerful too, just in a different way. I've still never seen the start of that episode tho. My box set was one of the ones that had the start clipped off for some reason, and I've never been able to get a replacement that had it
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=DarthCaligula;195437]I know I've said it before, but I actually find The Fall of Centauri Prime much sadder. I remember the first time I saw it, it was so depressing, but so fitting. All of Londo's choices lead to that.[/QUOTE]

On the other hand, if you take the longer view and consider the events from the Centauri trilogy, his choices had a part to play in ultimately setting the Centauri on a far better path than the one they were on in Midnight on the Firing Line. They went through a lot of hell, but they came out better.
    Aaaaaaaah screw the Centauri Trilogy, but still, yes, Londo sacrificing himself both times (the second being when he and G'kar kill each other) allows him to give his people a future finally.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    The Centauri Trilogy ends the series IMHO. Wrapped up all the loose ends perfectly. :)
    Well I didn't care for it and prefer my own imagination to those books. So there.

Edit: OK, so to elaborate on why I don't like those books some more, I thought the books were pointless. It's like the only reason they existed was to answer the question of what happened in that inbetween time, and for no other reason. The Psi Corps and Technomage books actually have points to them, while I felt that the Centauri trilogy just plodded along with no real message or anything. I also think that he screwed up on the characterizations, especially Galen. Just from what we saw in the show of him, and even more when compared to how Cavelos wrote him in the excellent Technomage books, which I actually consider to be the perfect end to Babylon 5, it ends with a message of appreciating mystery, which I think was Cavelos saying to fans that we should cherish our own imagination and interpretations and what the show is, and not worry about how it's not going to continue.
    Galen in the Technomage books would never have manipulated someone's emotions like he did with Mariel (and let me also say that I thought it was so stupid that Galen actually used the seven words to make someone fall in love forever. I think that pretty much everyone understood that to be some sort of metaphor that Elric was using). I really don't see Galen brainwashing a woman to further his own goals like that asshole Spooky Electric in Boogiepop. He totally screwed up on Galen as far as I'm concerned. Back when I first read it, all I knew of Galen was what was in Crusade, and after seeing him in such pain over Isabelle's death, I really didn't see him doing what he does to Mariel in the Centauri books.
    Oh yeah, and Peter David killed the duck/cat joke and I wanted to punch him in the face after the fourth time he used that joke in the book.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    heh, guess I'm the opposite. I didn't like the technomage books. Probably because I never really liked the technomages themselves as a major plot point. as part of world building, they were fine. But as main characters? Meh.

To each his own I guess. :) (That said, Galen had no problems killing someone in cold blood, even when other options were available. (The Lost Tales)
    Regarding The Lost Tales, I always thought he knew full well Sheridan would never be able to bring himself to kill someone like that. It was just his way of pushing Sheridan towards the outcome he wanted whilst making Sheridan think it was his own idea.

I too wasn't all that fond of the Technomage books, but that was more because I preferred knowing very little about them and their motives. I always thought them a group that didnt need explaining or having a spotlight thrown on them, they lost their sense of mysticism after that.
    I think she did a good job with depicting the Technomages, and actually prefer it to how JMS did in Crusade. It's more the story itself that I liked in the Technomage books, the serious and mature look at depression and suicidal thoughts.
    As for The Lost Tales, well, I just pretend it's fan fiction. I thought it took more away from B5 than added to it.
    A few more little gripes about the Centauri books (looking forward to that, huh?). I thought it was stupid of him to have that part when Londo hears the kids nearby, which is right before the beginning of In the Beginning, and then Londo thinks to himself that he'll tell a story to the kids, while in the movie Londo tells the kid he'll grant any request at all that the kid could think of, and the kid says he wants to hear a story, and Londo is pleased with such a simple answer. Hell, Peter David even wrote the novelisation of the movie, so how did he forget that?
    I realize that he was supplied with the wrong dates though and that's why there's the bizzare problem of how the entire fifth season up to The Fall of Centauri Prime is apparently supposed to take place in about five months.

OK, OK, I won't keep going on about my problems with those books.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    My biggest issue with the Technomage books was how the second and third ones shoehorned events into the episodes. The most insane example being how "The Geometry of Shadows" had a totally different plot grafted on top of it, to the point where the Technomages' ship blows up at the end of the episode, in the space of the cut between the ship heading for the jump gate and Sheridan staring vacantly into space while monologuing.

Galen and Sheridan running into each other at Z'ha'dum was also pretty groan-worthy.

(Granted, some of that happened in the Centauri books, like Vir smashing Londo's keeper after finding his body, or Londo flirting with Delenn during the dinner scene in "Objects at Rest," but an extra line here or there or something happening after the end of the scene is a lot easier to swallow than trying to watch "Geometry" and imagine that Sheridan is musing about the power of magic while the rest of the dome is losing their shit because hundreds of people just died horribly without warning right on their doorstep).
    Yeah, I agree that it was weird that she changed so much about what happened in those episodes. Also, it was shown pretty clearly in the show that Morden was not allowed on the station, yet he walks around freely in the book. I guess it could be that Garibaldi prefers the devil he knows. It's not like the Technomage books were perfect, but I still vastly prefer them to the Centauri books.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    While we're taking about the books, something just occurred to me. I was listening to something mentioning the history of salutes, and I remembered that in the ITB novelization or one of the Centauri Prime books, Londo muses that the providence of the Earth handshake is silly. It seems to him that, rather than grasping someone's main hand to show there isn't a weapon in it, it would instead be perfect for immobilizing the other person's main hand, while attacking them by surprise with the weapon concealed in your off-hand.

And then I remembered that the Centauri handshake involves grasping [i]both[/i] forearms, preventing exactly that. So, that joke was actually a bit deeper than it seemed at first glance.
    Finished watching all 7 seasons of ST Voyager and then I watched a single B5 episode just to get a feel how both compare and B5 still wins hands down.

Voyager has better production values but it lacks heart and soul. I suppose I should compare B5 to DS9 to be fair. When Voyager originally aired I lost interest and I can see why. To wait a week to see another bland episode is a bit much. And to top it off it's not even the fault of the captain whose name shall not be mentioned. ;) The bottom line is that a boring story about a ship's long voyage home is not that compelling.

I know, I didn't have to watch it all to figure this out, but now I have and I don't have to ever watch it again. :D
    Why the hell would you submit yourself to all seven seasons of Voyager? I mean, were you with a bunch of friends and you all mocked it? That's the only way I could see someone enjoying that show.
    I just felt like having a quick scifi fix. Like a bag of potato chips, unadulterated fun. ;) Zero nutritional content, 100% entertainment.