Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

JMS set to announce... something... this weekend at SDCC

David of MacDavid of Mac Elite RangerCa
I considered tossing this in the Babylon 5 section, but it's not necessarily Babylon 5 related, so here it goes.

[quote][url=https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=445287592172776&id=139652459402959][b]JMS said:[/b][/url]
I’ve never done this before. Never convened a meeting of the clans before. But this is important.

If you’ve ever enjoyed the work I’ve done in comics: the bulk of my run on The Amazing Spider-Man, or Thor, or Silver Surfer: Requiem or Supreme Power or Rising Stars or Midnight Nation or Superman: Earth One –

If you’ve ever been entertained by the work I’ve done in television, going all the way back to He-Man to The Real Ghostbusters, Twilight Zone, Babylon 5, Crusade or Jeremiah –

If you’ve followed the work I’ve done in movies, from Changeling to Thor or Underworld Awakening –

If the work I’ve done has moved you or touched you or made you think about a few things in new ways...and if you’re going to be at San Diego Comic Con on Saturday or you know someone who will...then I’m inviting you to come to my spotlight at 2:00 in room 7AB, where something extraordinary will be launched into the world.

I can guarantee that you will see at least one thing that you have never seen before.

And how many times in life does that happen?

jms[/quote]

As much as previous JMS pre-announcements call to mind nothing more than boys crying "Wolf!", I hate to be cynical. Besides, knock on wood, what could possibly derail whatever this is going to be in less than four days?

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    A few years ago, JMS said something exciting was going to happen and it fell through because he said it.

Although, this statement seems a bit more certain than some of his previous ones, so we shall see.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    As much as I love him and his work, he's said these things before and it's fallen through, so I'll believe it when I see it I'm afraid!
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    I am also announcing something momentous!

Spoiler: 42
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    JMS is going to drop his pants??? :D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Perhaps it's going to be his version of Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Desperate cries for recognition...
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE=WORF;195469]A few years ago, JMS said something exciting was going to happen and it fell through because he said it.

Although, this statement seems a bit more certain than some of his previous ones, so we shall see.[/QUOTE]

If it does go bust, I expect he'll finally learn his lesson about pre-annoucements. Though it would be a little ridiculous. Okay, so you can't count on something happening when you talk about it a year in advance. Or six months in advance. But something falling apart when you announce it just one week in advance? That's God trying to tell you something, right there.

Or he'll try again with even less of a window for embarrassment, and it'll be even sillier. "I just wanted to say, there's going to be a big announcement at this afternoon's panel. *checks phone* Okay, never mind."
    [QUOTE=Random Chaos;195471]I am also announcing something momentous!

Spoiler: 42[/QUOTE]

I have something even more momentous to announce than that.

Spoiler: Me
    [QUOTE=WORF;195476]I have something even more momentous to announce than that.

Spoiler: Me[/QUOTE]

I'd put my money on Worf rather than JMS at this point. :)
    Indeed, Worf is always a reliable megalomaniac :)
    Indeed I am :D

As for the JMS thing, I think it's probably [URL="http://m.deadline.com/2012/07/comic-con-j-michael-straczynski-hatches-multi-platform-studio-jms/"]this[/URL].
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Spoiler: what do you get when you multiply six by nine?
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    [QUOTE=Entil'Zha;195483] Spoiler: what do you get when you multiply six by nine? [/QUOTE]

[SP]A headache.[/SP]
    [QUOTE=WORF;195482]Indeed I am :D

As for the JMS thing, I think it's probably [URL="http://m.deadline.com/2012/07/comic-con-j-michael-straczynski-hatches-multi-platform-studio-jms/"]this[/URL].[/QUOTE]

Oh, is that all?
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Yeah I can see that it would be good news for him and all his various projects....but I was kinda hoping for a significant, ya know...project! ;)
    He's also got a show in development on Starz. [url]http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/starz-development-spartacus-thor-348044[/url]
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I think there may actually be something to this, it sounds like he is going to do his own distribution system, but I could also be *really* reading too much in that two paragraph blub. We will find out Saturday....

During the writer's strike some chanted that it was the end of tv as we knew it and we would all be vieweing our stories online, a la carte, and so on. While I knew that was wishful thinking I do think it weakened the status quo. Since then other factors have been impacting the television distribution model: netflix, dvrs, youtube, shows posted online, and now the Viacom-DishTV debacle.

During the 2000's PC games were losing a lot of shelf space to the PlayBox games. Valve made their own distribution service for their own games to serve their own needs. Almost 10 years later it is hard to find a PC gamer who lives without Steam. It now distributes games for all sorts of developers and publishers. Many games that would otherwise not make it to the store shelf can become successful.

This could very well be a parallel. Taking a cue from the WB failed distribution system that the B5 reboot was tied to JMS is doing something similar. Steam also started as a self-serving distribution system but it became something more.

There are two big factors that I think will make this successful. First, the market has to be ready for it. I don't think it is but the market wasn't quite ready for Steam either. This leads to point two: Valve didn't cut the middle man but used both in store retail and steam and used its games as a bridge to help the market move over. If this is a new distribution system the same will have to be done as well.

Ok enough straw grasping from me.
    *tosses more straws at croxis*
    So, here's the details. I'm stealing this from [url=http://www.isnnews.net/]ISN News[/url], since aside from their punctuation and spacing issue I fixed, they seemed to have the most info.

[quote]JMS ANNOUNCEMENT
    EXCLUSIVE: J. Michael Straczynski will launch a new media company here to handle his prolific output in comic books, digital, TV series, feature films and video games. Studio JMS is designed to bring his output under one roof, and the idea is for the projects to cross-pollinate in other media.

Straczynski’s work ranges from writing/producing TV series that include Babylon 5 and Jeremiah, scripting films that include Thor, Ninja Assassin, Underworld Awakening and the Clint Eastwood-directed Changeling, and hatching comic books that include the Amazing Spider-Man and Superman: Earth One.

Straczynski will run the studio with Patricia Tallman, who has done her share of acting in horror and sci-fi films, and appeared in Babylon 5 as an actress. For the past decade, she ran Talent To Go as creator and co-owner. They have a number of initiatives that include an ambitious feature that will mark his directorial debut.

The Flickering Light, Straczynski tells me, is a fact-based film about how Nazi propaganda director Leni Reifenstahl, making a film that required Spanish actors, rented ethnic-looking Jews and gypsys, men, women and children who were imprisoned in the Max Glan Concentration Camp outside Berlin. During the course of the shoot, bonds were formed between the “actors,” who were brought back to resume their hellish existence in the camp after each day’s shooting. If you think that Reifenstahl is getting slack for liberating Holocaust victims, forget it, Straczynski told me. “She didn’t care about them at all, only about her movie, and it was the crew that looked after them,” Straczynski said. “This was a surreal existence, moving from escapism on a movie set back to a nightmare imprisonment. The script is written, we’re out to actors and we will have partial funding from the German government.”

Studio JMS has signed on to produce a web series for MTV.com entitled The Adventures Of Apocalypse Al, and they are self-financing a second web series, Living Dead The Musical. Straczynski tells me he also has two television series in development: he’s teamed with Will Smith and James Lassiter’s Overbrook Entertainment on Epidemic and with Sam Raimi on Vlad Dracula for Starz. JMS is also partnering with Image Comics to revive his Joe’s Comics imprint, which published the best-selling graphic novels Midnight Nation and Rising Stars. The first four comics that will appear under the label beginning in Spring 2013 will be Falling Angel, Ten Grand, Guardians and Sidekick.

Straczynski said that after working in these genres for so long, he realized that many didn’t realize he was the same guy who operated in other platforms. He’s got offices in Woodland Hills, and will at first set projects up “ala carte,” though he isn’t ruling out a broader relationship down the road with a studio.

“The center of the storm is what comes out of my keyboard,” he said. “It’s all about creating IP. For twenty years, I’ve had the remarkable good fortune to work successfully as a writer and producer in a wide variety of fields, from television to comics and movies. I’ve always dreamed of creating a mini-studio where I can put all of that work under one roof, telling stories that I want to tell and which can be spun up between various platforms: comics that can become TV shows, TV shows that can become movies, and movies that can become comics. With the tremendous recent success of films such as The Avengers, Thor, and the Batman series of films, this feels like the best time to tackle that dream. Best of all, unlike many other startup ventures, I’m not looking to get into these areas, I’m already working in them; now it’s just a matter of taking the next logical step: consolidation.”.

Straczynski hopes to generate a film each 18 months. He most recently completed two projects for producer Jerry Bruckheimer: Vanishing Point and Shattered Union.[/quote]
    So basically the cook just told us he's getting a new kitchen. I don't know what to say....
    [QUOTE=Stingray;195501]I don't know what to say....[/QUOTE]

That's a first! :p
  • Triple-FTriple-F Earthforce Officer
    Yeah, and ISNnews stole it from Deadline New York. Naughty, leaving the word exclusive without clarifying where it came from. ; )
    [url]http://m.deadline.com/2012/07/comic-con-j-michael-straczynski-hatches-multi-platform-studio-jms/[/url]

Largely under whelmed with what looks awfully like just a merger/consolidation of jms’s exisiting production companies - Synthetic Worlds, J. Michael Straczynski Productions, Imaginary Voices Entertainment (and whatever else is kicking around) - with maybe not a song, but certainly a dance about some new projects.

I see what the hope is. But after reading over years worth of ideas full of great intentions . . . . . .well, time will tell. Hope it works out though.
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;195502]That's a first! :p[/QUOTE]

I was just kidding. :D I was expecting more exciting content, not a modified delivery system.

I'm still waiting for the mind-altering, world-changing news that's supposed to hit us but I have a sinking feeling it's not going to happen anytime soon.

It's great news for JMS I suppose.
    [QUOTE=Triple-F;195503]Yeah, and ISNnews stole it from Deadline New York. Naughty, leaving the word exclusive without clarifying where it came from. ; )
    [url]http://m.deadline.com/2012/07/comic-con-j-michael-straczynski-hatches-multi-platform-studio-jms/[/url][/QUOTE]

That explains the formatting errors. I thought they just had a crappy CMS. Come on, it's 2012 and I can't link to an individual news story? Have a little self-respect, guys.
    [QUOTE=Stingray;195504]I was just kidding. :D I was expecting more exciting content, not a modified delivery system.[/QUOTE]

It's not even that. Unless I missed a point, it's just a merging of production companies. The delivery system will still be the same old "sell to a studio/publisher and hope they don't screw with it."
    As I've said before, I'm a B5 fan, not a JMS fan, so I wasn't really holding my breath or expecting much, hence my lack of disappointment.