Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Life is inevitable!

StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
At least after working in my backyard these few days, I'm convinced that life as we know it, is indeed inevitable.

Yes, I ran out of gravel to haul, but don't panic, more is on the way and should be at my place by Thursday. Tomorrow is "Assumption of Mary" day and so most stores are closed and no deliveries are made.

And as is custom for any physical activity I'm hurting in places I didn't know I had muscles at. ;)

I feel like I'm part of a road gang and I'm glad when it is done and over with. :cool:

Comments

• CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Are you burying bodies in your backyard? If so, I have a few tips to share.

If you're not, just forget I said anything.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    My backyard is not really suitable for such use. The neighborhood watch consisting for the most part of pensioners also leaves too small a window of opportunity to hide anything anywhere. It's amazing how many people have to walk dogs. There are at least three cats that make their rounds through my lot as well. So there is no escape. ;)
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    If you've got problems with the pensioners.. I have a solution for that...

For a fair price, no questions asked.
    I could use some tips on how to discourage those cats from using my backyard as a public restroom. ;)

It's not that bad but I get the impression I'm probably the only one in the street who knows what WiFi stands for. :D

The proportion of car to farming equipment that drives by my front door is about 2:1. It's fairly quiet though most of the time.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Are you sure you didn't mean death is inevitable?

Jake
    What I meant to say is that given the right circumstances and opportunity, life will find a way to thrive and grow. I don't need further proof that there is life out there in the universe. It's obvious to anyone who has worked the earth. Life is fragile and rare, but the stuff of life is everywhere too in the sea of death, the great void of space.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Have you discovered a gravel based life form or something?
    Well, not exactly, there are some individual grass plants that managed to survive the initial onslaught and then after I covered them with synthetic felt and about 1.5" of gravel had the balls to pierce through the same and show a few individual blades of grass just to put me in my place.

The goal was to keep the lot as maintenance free as possible for the time being without having to use chemical means. It seems to work for 99% of the area covered, but there is a tiny fraction of rebels that attempts to regain the territory that was lost in battle. ;)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Well you can't keep a good rebel down!
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    The more you tighten your grip the more organisms that will slip through your fingers.

Jake
    So far plant life has been kept in check. At least the overall concept appears to be working quite effectively.

In a couple of weeks, a rigid 5ft. fence will be installed around the perimeter which should keep most of the cats out who insist on doing their business on my backyard. They have been doing this all their lives and they have no concept of ownership or trespassing. So I can't really blame them but I will take steps to discourage their habits without harming them. I could put a sandbox in the corner they use anyway, but I'm not sure I want to take care of a handful of cats that roam in the area. My goal is to minimize maintenance, not to make more friends. :D
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE=Stingray;195753]So far plant life has been kept in check.[/QUOTE]Now let's see how long it takes before something bigger starts rearing up its head.
    And actually some plants don't survive in longer growing grass and thrive on open ground.
    Like lovely "pointy" spear thistle.

[QUOTE=Stingray;195708]And as is custom for any physical activity I'm hurting in places I didn't know I had muscles at. ;)[/QUOTE]Yep, best way to find where muscles are is doing lots of heavy work for few days.
    And if you can top it with some Jujutsu excersize or similar all the better because that works well as that "last straw" for muscles.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;195753]In a couple of weeks, a rigid 5ft. fence will be installed around the perimeter which should keep most of the cats out who insist on doing their business on my backyard. They have been doing this all their lives and they have no concept of ownership or trespassing.[/QUOTE]

Yes they do. It's not [i]your[/i] backyard.
    [QUOTE=Biggles;195773]Yes they do. It's not [i]your[/i] backyard.[/QUOTE]

LOL :D

I was thinking of installing a small sand box in a corner. But I'm not sure if this will be the compromise I'm looking for. I don't mind them, just the smell of their waste.

As for my muscles, I will continue my exercise routines which I interrupted because of the landscaping project. In a few more days, the hardest part will be over. :)