Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

There shall be light!

One question which has been plaguing me for the last few years since the begining of the end of the incandescent light bulb has finally been answered. I'm going to switch to LEDs. I wasn't sure at first because the first attempts produced poor colors and light, but now seems like a good time to take the jump and go for it.

I'm replacing all my 40W and 60W bulbs with 4W which produce an equivalent output of 30W thanks to the advancements made in LED technology. Sure they cost more initially but they use less energy and last much much longer (20-25 times longer).

I still have a few halogen bulbs which will be replaced soon after I've found the right LED equivalent. :)

Comments

• croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Like this? [url]http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/831e/[/url] :P
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Until they come out with reasonably priced 100-150W Incandescent Equivalents in LED, I'm going to have problems. I don't like florescent - tend to give me headaches. And nothing else is that strong. These days I do use florescent, but I also have a lot of headaches as a result. Can't wait until LEDs come far enough that I can get high lumen bulbs for something my wallet can absorb.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I already have two mobile multi-color true-color LED lights and they are very nice to look at when they run through all their colors. :)

It's probably just a matter of time before they come out with stronger LEDs, just look at the flash lights on the market.

I ordered online to get a better price.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Random Chaos;195857]Until they come out with reasonably priced 100-150W Incandescent Equivalents in LED, I'm going to have problems. I don't like florescent - tend to give me headaches. And nothing else is that strong. These days I do use florescent, but I also have a lot of headaches as a result. Can't wait until LEDs come far enough that I can get high lumen bulbs for something my wallet can absorb.[/QUOTE]

You can get LED bulbs that bright here for about 3000 yen. They're still a bit expensive. Dimmer ones, which I find to be more than bright enough, are really cheap (e.g. 1000 yen). I use 400 to 800 lumen bulbs throughout my place in a range of tones depending on purpose.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I'm slowly replacing the incandescent, CF and Halogen lights at the new cafe with LED. Until recently all the LED's were way to cold for my taste, but now you can get much warmer ones, But man don't they cost a fortune!
  • Leds have one major design flaw, they don't produce enough heat. Which is something you want during cold weather, especially winter.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Part of the reason why they want us to stop using incandescent light bulbs is the heat factor. I seldomly used my lights for that purpose so I don't miss it (yet).

While the light coming from those LEDs is warmer now, it's still not quite as warm as what I'm used to. Some actually tend towards pink and not yellow. At least they waste less energy and they don't irritate the eyes.
    I just found out that an efficiency group here in Maine will give me up to $5k to convert my businesses to LED (or other efficient lighting) YAY!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Congratulations!

Your FirstOnes subscription fee is now due! Owing to a billing error, you're account is now dues fees for the past 5 years, and plus interest your account now owes $4999.99.

Payment may be made to SDindustries, care of President ShadowDancer

regards
    ShadowDancer
    El Presidente
    Indeed....