Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Disney buys Lucasfilm

WORFWORF The Burninator
If you thought Star Wars had been run into the ground already, Disney have bought Lucasfilm, Lucasarts, ILM and Skywalker sound. Episodes 7-9 are already being planned and it is said more will be made every three years after that.

[URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20146942"]Link[/URL]

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    The phrase to best sum up my feelings on the matter is probably: "frak that"

EDIT: although upon further reflection, the only positive thing I can think of from this is that we'll hopefully get more John Williams scores. They were about the only really great thing from the prequels IMO
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Mt dad has talked about reading in a magazine he got when star was was first being released that the initial plan was to have 12 films and the droids as the main "narrators" of the film. Sadly he long lost the article.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Eh, I think its a good thing, or at least better than with Lucas at the helm.

Jake
  • Lets just say I lost my marbles at work when I heard this minutes after it was announced. Jesus I could barely work for the next couple of hours.

This could be very good, get a good director involved and you can have some amazing movies. The main cast is still alive so its totally possible.

However, there is one majorly bad thing about this. Which could ruin the entire movie. We will no longer have this to pump you up.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke8XrwBApKE[/url]
  • I'm just laughing at all the Star Wars fanboys. This series has gone to hell.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    You guys don't realize what this means. This is Disney we are talking about. The next trilogy will be about the Ewoks, in fact it will be about the chief of the tribe. In the first movie we'll see him as a child and how he grows up.... :D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I stopped caring about any new Star Wars movies after the first prequel. I feel nothing about this announcement because I can't see it changing anything, in reality.

Ultimately, this is the problem with franchises and a culture that demands them over new, at-least-somewhat original works.
  • Yep. Disney is only capable of producing films about cute little midget species that only little kids like. Such as Tron, Up, and Lion King.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Lets not forget Disney made Avengers.

George Lucas made Han shoot last, Jar Jar and Noooooo....
  • Mr_BesterMr_Bester Earthforce Officer St Louis MO
    Hopefully this means we get unmolested original trilogy on Bluray
    Wasn't there also a live action SW TV series planned? The Clone Wars 3D series is ok, but I haven't bothered watching that one in a while as it isn't really targeted towards adult viewers.

Spaceballs II and III would be nice as well. ;)
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    in 2009, disney bought marvel, 3 years later we got The Avengers directed by Joss Wheadon, in 2012 Disney has purchased Lucasfilm, With plans for Episode VII in 2015.. Joss, Please wait by your phone...
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    While I'd be happy to see Joss work on a Star Wars movie, he is currently busy with Avengers 2, the S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show and overseeing the other Marvel movies.

The Clone Wars cartoon series actually does a better job of mature story telling and developing characters than the prequel movies that spawned it. They're also not shy about showing the gritty and horrific side of war. Sure, there is the occasional episode aimed more for kids but those are quite rare.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Clone wars is pretty good, the bad part is that Clone Wars is about as close as we get to good ole fashioned space opera right now.

Jake
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Stingray: yeah there is a live action show planned, but the problem is that they don't have the technology to do it cheaply enough for tv yet, and I don't see Disney altering that
    I don't know about that, BSG managed to pull off a pretty convincing show. I guess the lightsaber duels are going to push the budgets over the limit. ;)

At least George Lucas will just remain as a consultant and let people who know a thing or two about entertainment and story-telling do their jobs. He has said that he's not going to make any sequels because people were so upset about the prequels. So the message from the audience was loud and clear, THX crystal clear. :cool:

Speaking of BSG and Ron D. Moore, he's a writer on I, Robot 2. Will Smith is as yet unconfirmed.

Speaking of Tricia Helfer, she's been acting in a new TRON Uprising animated series alongside Bruce Boxleitner and Frodo Baggins too!! Why do I not get informed about these things??? Dammit!!
  • [QUOTE=Stingray;196405]
    Speaking of BSG and Ron D. Moore, he's a writer on I, Robot 2. Will Smith is as yet unconfirmed.
    [/QUOTE]

Oh please no, haven't we suffered enough?
    And Joss Whedon working on Star Wars.... whoopty doo.
    All this talk about Star Wars also reminds me, I rewatched about half of the first Star Wars movie not too long ago, and it was just hilarious how much the prequels don't match up. So Owen doesn't want Luke to know about Anakin, right? So why does he buy the droids that Anakin USED TO OWN? Hell, Anakin even built one of them! And then later, Obi Wan Kenobi also doesn't recognize the droids, and says "I never owned any droids". Uh, yeah you did man, and these are the exact ones you used to own. I remember that there were some others, but I can't remember what they were. It's like every five minutes you notice something that makes no sense when matched up with the prequels. I mean, they had YEARS to prepare for the prequels and make sure they match up, but these screw ups are just so glaring and obvious. What the hell happened?
    What the hell happened? They realised they could make a metric fuckton of money from it and bugger the story
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    At least Disney can't do any worse than what have already been done. But I rather see a new IP space opera instead of building on old crap.
    I agree with [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Schafer]Tim Schafer[/url]'s opinion on all this:

[quote]The best entertainment news we could ever hear would be some rich person just bought every IP, forbidding anyone from using them.[/quote]
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    [QUOTE=DarthCaligula;196408]And then later, Obi Wan Kenobi also doesn't recognize the droids, and says "I never owned any droids". Uh, yeah you did man, and these are the exact ones you used to own.[/QUOTE]

Threepio belonged to Anakin as a child, his mother between movies and then Padme until her death.

R2 was just a random droid on Padme's ship originally, then he belonged to her for the second movie and Anakin for the third.

Obi-Wan never owned either droid, so what he told Luke was true. From a certain point of view.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    his point of view is that hes a blithering idiot.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    "It's as though millions of nerds suddenly all cried out in Terror..."
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE=Stingray;196405]I don't know about that, BSG managed to pull off a pretty convincing show. I guess the lightsaber duels are going to push the budgets over the limit. ;)[/QUOTE]

BSG was almost entirely bottle shows on standing sets. They didn't do as much location work or sets-of-the-week as Firefly or a Stargate or Star Trek show, and when they did, they stretched out their dollars to get everything to look as cinematic as possible (i.e., no Enterprise-style cave set or SG-1 soundstage village that looked the same for every planet). None of BSG's tricks would work for a Star Wars story. The rare pre-attack Colony scenes were just Vancouver with a couple CGI establishing shots, and there was a minimum amount of special signage or clothing needed thanks to the present-day art style. Most of the other planets (occupied Caprica, Kobol, the Algae Planet, Earth, and Other Earth) were uninhabited, so they could just go out and shoot in the wilderness or closed off city streets with a colored filter and maybe some prop ruins and debris. The most elaborate planet set they had was New Caprica, and that was amortized over five or six episodes. There were a few special cases (cool Cloud 9 in "Colonial Day," before it turned into a single hotel room and bar in season 2, Ragnar Anchorage/The Temple of Five, the prison and mining ships), but those were all minimally redressed location shoots that had the same off-the-shelf wardrobe advantage Caprica had.

The impression I've gotten of the Star Wars show was that they wanted to visit a different planet every week like Firefly or Trek, but not to have it be the same bit of California bushland or soundstage cave every episode, nor to be the Vancouver airport with the signs papered over in Aurabesh. Making an artisanal planet to the standards of Coruscant or Miranda or, God forbid, Pandora for a weekly show would be hellaciously expensive, no matter how much they stretched out the production process.

I don't think they've said anything about the TV show since the buyout. Hellaciously expensive might not be as much of a barrier anymore. Disney is the company that just kept plowing wheelbarrows full of money into John Carter, and that was a much dicier proposition than a Star Wars TV show. It might also help to release some or all of the episodes theatrically, either as a feature like they did with the pilot episode of the CG Clone Wars, or as one of those one-night-only simulcast events like the Met operas and HD-transferred Star Trek episodes.

On-topic, I'm optimistic about this move.

ETA: [url=http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/11/2/luke-skywalker-to-be-primary-focus-of-new-star-wars-trilogy.html]A rumor-tastic article full of nothing but good news.[/url] Highlights include: The sequel trilogy will focus on the original cast, with a sequel-sequel trilogy about their kids (presumably, as adults), both based on Lucas's original secret outlines for Episodes 7-12 which mysteriously started never having existed in the late nineties. It looks like they're continuing to move forward ever-so-slowly on the live action TV show, which remains cost-prohibitive at the moment. And, of course, the cruelest of remarks if this is all a bunch of invented rumor-mongering bull: Restored releases of the original trilogy.
    This might disappoint Jos Whedon fans...

[url]http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/11/09/star-wars-michael-arndt-signed-to-write-script-for-episode-vii/[/url]
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Dammit! oh well, I still am cautiously optimistic.
    I for one did not buy Lucas' excuse for waiting so long to get back to SW, and the prequels don't really show anything that wouldn't be possible earlier. It may have not made business sense, but the technical explanation was just a bad joke.

I'd rather have a bottle SW show than no show at all any day. :)

I can't say I am a fan of one particular director. They all have their hits and misses.
  • Yeah, technically many things could have been done in the pre-CGI era. I mean, if you can do Hoth, than you could have done the place where those flying bugs lived. The battle droids would have been difficult without really clever animatronics or stop motion. By the early 90s blue screen technology was practically seemless so things like the Senate chamber with thousands of senators would easily be doable.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Look at Jurassic Park, which was done with Softimage in the mid 1990's - no reason at all that such detailed CGI creatures could not have been done for Starwars, had Lucas wanted to.
    I can hardly dare to think about what we waited for... Jar Jar Binks? Capital punishment is something that I usually do not support, but there are exceptions. There were plenty of characters in the SW universe in charge of comic relief, we definitely didn't need this.

I haven't watched any of the prequels since I saw them once. I just don't feel the need to. I do not want to turn towards the dark side because of this... suffering, anger.

I still can't believe that nobody at the Skywalker ranch told him, "listen George, me and the guys think you are going about this the wrong way." Nope, nobody. Even at NASA, before the Challenger catastrophe, engineers raised objections on launch day... here, apparently not one soul...

The only good thing about this debacle is that hardly anyone of the actors and actresses got too negatively affected in their careers. But overall the franchise hit rock bottom indeed.