Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Hurricane Sandy

Talk about a massive distraction. Only something the size of a hurricane could manage to distract us from the upcoming election and take the wind right out of both political campaigns. Not sure who is going to benefit from this but this storm has caused a lot of damage and casualties.

I hope those of you who are directly affected are safe and your discomfort due to power outages will be as short as possible.

Who comes up with those silly hurricane names anyway??

Comments

• We just got power back 2 hours ago. If no power at the office tommorow , no work again. It was a crazy storm.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Yeah I hope everyone here affected is ok! The pictures we've been seeing over the pond have been crazy!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;196378]Who comes up with those silly hurricane names anyway??[/QUOTE]

Over here, they just give them numbers. It makes it much easier to remember which one is headed for you when there are 3 roving around at once.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Stay safe people. I cant really fathom whats going on over there right now..
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    We got some wind, some wet. nothing major... NY got pummeled.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    We got wind and rain but nothing major as well. Rain stayed away long enough for kids to trick-o-treat.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    We got high winds for several days here in Tennessee, which also dragged cold air into our area.

We could tell it sucked for New York and such, since all the trees leaned to the North East.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Aren't there laws against making puns that bad?
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Probably a Banning offense too... :p
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    I'm lucky - only lost power for 16 hours Monday evening and Tuesday morning. My area escaped the worst of it, wind wise, but we got pounded from rain, with some localities having 10+ inches.
  • Its getting bad. GAS nowhere to be found. I stopped driving when i hit 1/2 tank Friday night. I have enought range to get out of the city if it gets worse. Norester is due in wednesday & thursday. I might be using allot of my sick time and vaction time. Will drive to work tommorw to stock up my mothers supplies then public transportation for the rest of the week. What is a 15 min commute will become 1 1/2 hour commute. I am loving it.

:rolleyes:
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Yeah, the pleasures of public transportation. All it costs you is the price of the fare and your most precious commodity of all, time.

It's a no-brainer if you want to save money, but it's the wasted time that is the killer for me.

I hope things will go back to normal soon.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Yeah, the storm Wednesday is looking problematic. This is the wind field of the storm when it is off the Chesapeake Bay - it's the point when the ECMWF is showing the strongest winds (source: weather underground):

[IMG]http://firstones.com/images/rc_attachments/Screen%20Shot%202012-11-04%20at%204.43.03%20PM.png[/IMG]

The other thing to watch is snow. Depending on the model, potential for significant snowfall on the back side of the storm, inland from the coast. Too far out to know for sure, but the potential exists.

Finally, SLOSH model is showing 3 foot storm surge from Ocean City, MD through Long Island:

[IMG]http://firstones.com/images/rc_attachments/Screen%20Shot%202012-11-04%20at%204.48.20%20PM.png[/IMG]
    Source: [url]http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/et_surge/et_surge_info.shtml[/url]
  • smashing weather map models