Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

heck with the Presidential election...

Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
...My state just legalized Same Sex marriage! Score one for Equality!

Comments

• croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Last I heard all 4 were passing on equality's side. This is actually a first because the state ballot voting record is about 0 to 30. Not its about 4 to 30 :)

And thank god for my state's vote by mail system.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Yes, it was defeated by vote in Maine last year, but that wasn't really a vote FOR equality, it was a vote to repeal a law. Maine allows a "Peoples Veto"

This time, people were actually voting to support marriage equality.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Pretty good news all round then!
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Well, there are about 48% of the American voters who are very very disappointed. So the news was not that good all around.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Well it's their own fault then! They should have voted the other way!
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Never vote the other way, If you'd voted the other way, you'd have gone straight to the castle!
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    On Facebook, a guy who I went to elementary school with was trying to sound sophisticated and intellectually apathetic about the election, and kind of sucked at it. One of his gems comes to mind:

"If you voted for the guy who lost, did your vote really count?"

I'm not sure he fully appreciates that you don't know who or what won until you count the votes.
    Yeah, some people also have a funny idea how polls work. You don't ask vegetarians what they think about meat. ;) "I asked all my friends who support my candidate who they are going to vote for and 98% are going to vote for my candidate which means he's going to win the elections hands down." - That's not a poll which is going to yield a meaningful result. :D
    He also said something about the president being chosen "weeks ago" by the five families in a smoke-filled room, or some damn thing, and "they say don't believe everything you hear on TV."

I swear, if you don't care to be involved, don't care to be involved. Don't invent some Plato's Cave nonsense conspiracy to justify that you're above it all and everyone watching the puppet theater is a bunch of rubes.

Weeks, he said. This campaign has been going on for almost ten years. There'd need to be more people on the take to fake a democracy like this than they would actually be fooling. And "they're all the same, in the pocket of Big Whomever" is another perennial favorite. It boggles my mind that someone would suggest President Al Gore would've invaded Iraq, or President John McCain would've gone through the ordeal with the Debt Ceiling and the Supercommittee.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE=David of Mac;196475]He also said something about the president being chosen "weeks ago" by the five families in a smoke-filled room, or some damn thing, and "they say don't believe everything you hear on TV."
    [/QUOTE]

Oh no its the [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI_0-kz4lR0"]Pentaverate![/URL]

Jake
    I saw that scene so many times playing Scene It in college, but I never knew what movie it was from. Netflix'd!
    I always go with Buchanan for worst. One, it makes it look like I know what I'm talking about since I pick someone further back than Bush 43 or Carter, and two... he broke the country! The one minimal thing a president can do is sit on your thumb for four years at least as many states as he started with, and he failed utterly! Didn't even try to head things off, until a token effort between Lincoln's election and inauguration, when states already started going off to make their own country, with blackjack, and hookers, and it was too late to do any good.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Also, don't forget Herbert Hoover among the worst list.

As for the "young and uneducated" statement - didn't the republicans win almost all the states and counties that are ranked at the bottom in education, while the democrats won almost all the states and counties ranked near the top? I don't have a list in front of me at the moment of education ranking by state, but I know where a couple states (and counties) lie, and they definitely followed that pattern.
  • I knew a guy years ago who seriously thought that the war in Iraq was fake. He said that it was all just a show being put out to trick us and that if we went over there we'd see that Saddam was still in power and everything. So then I pointed out to him that if that were true, pretty much everyone in the US military would have to be in on this conspiracy, and then he started he realize that maybe the war really was going on after all. Of course, this guy was really into crazy stupid conspiracies. I'm not joking, he thought that The Patriots from the Metal Gear games were real and that the Japanese (or at least the people who made the Metal Gear games) were trying to warn us. He talked about some guy in charge of the conspiracy called "The Architect". I'm not joking, he actually said all this. He was a pretty good guy aside from all that though. We also really liked to make fun of that To Catch a Predator show.
    That's why in The Matrix, you either have to choose between the blue or the red pill.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Imhotep;196482]Just as a side note, everyone has the right to their opinion on who to vote for in any election. The problem today is that too many people take it personally when you don’t share their political view. We have a need to rediscover the art of compromise, and learning its ok to disagree but not to hate. Compromise is how all successful governments run, just like in the 90’s when President Clinton had to work with the Republican house, and they didn’t even like each other! Yet compromise still happened, and the country prospered.[/QUOTE]

But media companies can't beat nice, friendly compromises up into a storm of sales. :p
    The problems between both sides are not just political, it's different industries struggling for survival and there are real people who are going through a very tough time due to the current policies that are being acted upon. The whole green movement for instance is supposed to ease the pressure on the environment, in doing so it puts the entire fossil fuel & energy and automotive sector under pressure. Lower demand means less money, means more unemployment, means more suffering and hardship for families.

Last I checked, whoever won or lost, media companies didn't really suffer too much due to politics. The constant pressure is coming from the customers who push for better gadgets and ease of access to digital content.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    The one big thing that neither party seems interested in fixing is software patents, and how broken that entire category is...