Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Syfy Greenlights Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome

13»

Comments

• SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    I was decidedly impressed for a web series. It seems well done in the execution and acting. The medium forces it to jump right into the story, and they are doing just that. I'm digging it.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    When is the next part supposed to air?
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I think it's two episodes every friday.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Bah! Engage time warp!
    Here's a fun fact I just realized. Blood and Chrome has the same budget as The Lost Tales did. What a difference five years makes.
    [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXCnuArj4b8]Here are episodes 3 and 4, conveniently combined into one file.[/url]
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Gah!

[sp]Why did it have to end right there?

I like what they are doing, you definitely get the wartime feel for the show. Getting pretty sad that this is just a one off thing now.[/sp]
    I've seen recent stuff from Drexler, Pasqui... Pasquo... Adama, and the director saying there's still a chance it could go to series if the numbers are good.

I've got my fingers crossed. If it does, I'm packing up my bindle and heading out west. Working on something like B&C is my dream job.
    I agree Worf! Although I'm not completely pessimistic that it won't get picked up if it does really well, which I think it might at this rate
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT79x4qM4FE&list=SPrFaRFw9s4G4OYkHPs0afqM_nT0jLvvPy&index=1]The last installments came out today.[/url] What's everybody's thoughts?

I wished they'd gone for more character stuff like in 7, 8, 9 throughout the film (though I'm hoping that some of the additional material in the final cut will address that). The cameo at the end was kind of weird, I'm not really sure what the point of including it was.

I'm thinking a B-/C+, though I'll probably want to make a fuller review in February when the DVD comes out and I can see the entire movie straight through.
    I really enjoyed the whole series and I definitely want to buy the DVD in February to watch it through properly and the extended scenes of course.

It turned out to be a far better than I expected.

[sp]I had hoped to see more space action, so that was a little disapointing but made up for by the story and characters.

The cameo made sense to me. Six is the most instantly recognisable, so having her voice appear helped link the development along. Although I must say, when I saw the concept art for that character, I had expected it to be Zoe Greystone.[/sp]

Apparently because of the attention Blood and Chrome is getting, NBC is interested in releasing the proper soundtrack to Caprica and Bear McCreary is working on another soundtrack release for this too. So that's got to be a plus too :)
    I hadn't heard that this was making a Caprica soundtrack a priority (I assumed it was that Bear was too busy to put together the album, not last of interest from the network. Same with the way the mythical BSG bonus album of tracks that didn't make it onto the season soundtrack hasn't materialized). More Bear is always good news.

ETA: I checked his twitter to see if he'd mentioned this there, and realized it was from the Reddit AMA. So, for anyone else who missed it, [url=http://www.reddit.com/r/tabled/comments/14bskh/]here's a convenient table of the questions and answers.[/url]

That is weird about the network blocking the release of a finished piece of merchandise. Weirder than delaying B&C, which was done for eight to twelve months before it finally came out, since that's a big-time premiere and not an ancillary tie-in.
    In their eyes, they view Caprica as a failure and thus there isn't enough interest in BSG to make it worth the cost of actually distributing the Caprica soundtrack, even though it is complete.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=David of Mac;196749]What's everybody's thoughts?[/QUOTE]

All things considered, they managed to put a lot of action, FX and story in what little time they had. The occasional overacting stood out like a sore thumb, but otherwise it was quite well done. Most characters (except the trio) didn't get enough screen time for you to really care about their fate.

If by the cameo, you mean the voice-over of Tricia Helfer, I guess it gave those who watched BSG a little bit more insight about who we were really dealing with.

I'm not sure I got the whole logic of the plot. [sp]The entire mission, which played out like it was so darn secret, turns out that it was planned all along by high command and so in the end you wonder what so many people had to die for? She told them her mission was to upload a virus, which was the lie that cost her her life. What did she do that for? It makes no sense. The act of apparent treason ended up not being one, so basically life isn't worth much indeed in that universe. Which then begs the question what are they fighting for in the first place?? Funny thing is, RDM isn't even in the writing credits, so I can't even blame him for killing off so many characters.[/sp] :D

Anyway, I did like it for what it tried to do. :)
    The plan was straightforward enough, but I see where your issue came from.

Spoiler: Beka actually was a traitor working for the Cylons. The Colonials found out that she was playing them with a cover story about a computer virus so she'd be able to deliver her intelligence to the Cylons. She expected the ghost fleet to be destroyed thanks to her recording of it, encouraging the humans to surrender. However, the Colonials knew about her plan and decided to just let her do it, and used the ghost fleet as it's own decoy, attacking the Cylon bases while the ships from them were busy attacking where the ghost fleet used to be.

She wasn't in on that part, she thought she was genuinely about to deal a crippling blow to the Colonial military to force a cease-fire or surrender. And her conviction that she'd pulled one over on Adama and Coker let the Cylons believe that her information was good.

That's an interesting question about why they're fighting, and something I thought about during one of the earlier episodes. It seems to be one of those really knotty, terrible wars where the objective of both sides is to not lose. They're both convinced they're on the defensive, so if they let up, the other side will press the advantage and destroy them. Sure, the Cylons hate humans, but more than that, they're afraid of them. They can't just leave, because the humans will follow them and wipe them out. The Colonials seem to feel the same way, albeit less so. There seems to be a draft, but not a very comprehensive one (Coker figured Adama could've gotten a deferment without any trouble, and wasn't afraid of being stop-lossed again at the end of his tour), and the way Nash was talking to Adama at the end, it sounded like it was a war of choice ("The people pay for this war because they think we can win, so let them have their heroes and perfect victories").
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    [SPOILER]I knew that bitch was trouble from the moment I saw her. I was screaming at the screen 'KILL HER!!' after the betrayal was revealed[/SPOILER]