Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Star Trek Into Darkness Teaser

[URL="http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrekintodarkness/"]Oh my. Wow.[/URL]

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    Interesting but I hope he's not Khan.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Sherlock went bad!
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408101/"]On the IMDb he's indeed "rumored" to play Khan.[/URL]

I don't know what to think about that....
    If it is Khan, then I suspect he will be more of an action villain and less of the intellectual he is in ST2.
    Probably.

I'm finding it does make it easier to imagine him voicing Smaug, though.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I'm going to go dark-horse and guess Captain Garth. There are too many good reasons for it not to be Khan, while Garth would make good fodder for an evil (ex-)admiral story.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE=Biggles;196724]If it is Khan, then I suspect he will be more of an action villain and less of the intellectual he is in ST2.[/QUOTE]
    I don't know, I can't really see someone as good as Cumberbatch being just an action villain...his abilities cry out for an intellectual villain in my opinion
    Taking Biggles' earlier comment and expanding on it, I'm kinda hoping they have taken the concept of Khan, having someone frozen for centuries and then being revived by the crew of the Enterprise. But it's not Khan...it's Sherlock.

And now he's on a rampage because there are no more crimes to solve no Earth.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Gary Mitchell character maybe?
  • [QUOTE=David of Mac;196727]I'm going to go dark-horse and guess Captain Garth. There are too many good reasons for it not to be Khan, while Garth would make good fodder for an evil (ex-)admiral story.[/QUOTE]

I do hope you are right. That would make for an excellent movie!
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    I'm still betting on Gary Mitchell. But I think its clear when he says "His return" that he is indeed from Earth.
    By the way, scroll down and watch the Japanese version of the trailer (Japanese subtitled, english speaking), and see the last couple of frames.
  • It's odd. The plot synopsis, as given by Paramount, certainly sounds like a Gary Mitchell thing, but the trailer looks nothing like that, and in fact seems to support more the Khan thing.

My take on the plot is that it IS Khan, but more the Space Seed Khan, except this time he succeeds in taking over the Enterprise, and uses it to try and exact revenge on the planet that outcast him and his "family." The crew then take the desperate act of driving the ship into the ocean to stop him. And then the blond med/sci officer we see screaming might be the crew member who ends up swooning over him.

But really, I am appalled at the lack on ingenuity evident in this film. ANOTHER revenge plot with ANOTHER attack on Earth and the fleet gets wiped out AGAIN. So far this series is not boldly going anywhere.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I've thought it was Gary Mitchell all along.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Being a teaser trailer it is suppose to be all action to drum up hype: "Kirk! Bad guy! ZOMG ENTERPRISE SPASHING DOWN!" As a general rule I don't think teasers are the best metric to determine the plot of a movie.

Edit: Japan's version has an added scene at the end. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BrHlQUXFzfw[/url]
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Yeah, the action revenge thing is overdone. Star Trek was always an "smart" show. It's interesting how so many Scifi (but not all) are somewhat cerebral and non-action, yet these new Star Treks are more action than cerebral. Not that I won't throw my money at my theater to see it, or anything :D
    [QUOTE=Akrovah;196735]But really, I am appalled at the lack on ingenuity evident in this film. ANOTHER revenge plot with ANOTHER attack on Earth and the fleet gets wiped out AGAIN. So far this series is not boldly going anywhere.[/QUOTE]

That's why I really don't want it to be Khan (I don't have a problem with Gary Mitchell or Garth). This movie should have been released a year ago but the writers kept having problems coming up with ideas.

It was pretty obvious to me then that they had no idea what to do with Star Trek and if they do use Khan, it just means all they did was look at the most popular villain and rehashed him instead of trying something new and interesting. When Khan was revived in Space Seed, he didn't care about revenge. Conquest yes but I don't see him rampaging just because. It's not until he was marooned on Ceti Alpha V for 15 years that he became the obsessed with revenge.

Watching this trailer earlier, I did think it looks so much like the previous movie that it could almost be the same one. Earth being attacked again? Remember when Earth was only seen a handful of times because the stories were more about seeing what was out there and not what our planet looks like like in 250 years?
    You forget, this is not Star Trek.
    These needs of the ratings outweigh the needs of the viewers...
    That's it, I'll just have to make my own Star Trek movie :)
    [URL="http://dduane.tumblr.com/post/37330828885/micathemineral-ussawesome"]certainly looks like Elizabeth Dehner[/URL], so Gary Mitchell?
    [QUOTE=Biggles;196743]You forget, this is not Star Trek.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize it at first but that's what I thought when I saw the trailer. They are going for a totally different direction. The gloves are off and they are going for the gritty and dirty. I must confess, I always thought ST was too sanitary.

What's the worst that could happen? :D They can't beat SW.
    But you know, It was sanitary because Gene Roddenberry saw a promising future... ;)
    [QUOTE=JackN;196750]But you know, It was sanitary because Gene Roddenberry saw a promising future... ;)[/QUOTE]

I know, and I also doubt he would have approved what is currently being done to his baby. There was always some life's lesson hidden somewhere in his stories and Star Trek is turning into Star Bucks, the Diet Coke of SciFi. Not knocking JJ, but he's trying to reinvigorate an aging franchise, and trying to appeal to a new audience. I guess that's the price to pay.
    Roddenberry didn't approve of a lot of what happened to Star Trek in the later years of his life either. He hated Star Trek 6 and the concept of DS9.

He also tried to stop TNG taking the more serious and political turn that it did after season two.
    Obviously Roddenberry hadn't seen Star Trek 5. :D That, I would have understood. ;)

I still haven't seen that much of DS9, enough to enjoy most characters, but it's all bits and pieces. The concept of a station was a bit unsettling at first, but B5 did a great job of that.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    And the funny thing is I've always thought that Star Trek 6 was one of the best Star Trek movies ever.
    I have, too.
    I'm not sure why he didn't like it, the whole idea of two enemies trying to put their differences aside is one of the central themes of Star Trek.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    He didn't like how committed the crew was to seeing the Klingon as enemies, [i]especially[/i] all the allusions to real historical racism on their part. He wasn't the only one; Nichelle Nichols refused to let Uhura ask, "Would you let your daughter marry one?"

I remember reading Roddenberry was also upset about Kirk shooting the brain-eel after it crawled out of Chekov's head in TWOK, saying Kirk would've studied it as a new life form.