Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Star Trek Into Darkness Teaser

2»

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    You guys have some great memory, I can't remember what I had for lunch last Tuesday. :D

I enjoyed ST6 also quite a lot, in fact it's right behind ST4. Maybe ole Gene was a bit out of touch with his audience.

I suppose it's time to let go and hope for the best.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    ST6 is my favorite of the original cast movies. I think its awesome, and the continued use of ancillary characters is fantastic. Also, of the modern era Trek on TV, DS9 is far and away the best of those series.

Regarding JJ Trek. It's still Star Trek, Trek has always had mass appeal, yes, they are going in a slightly different direction, but that doesn't make it any less Trek than the rest.

Is it The Motion Picture with its grandiose sweeping visuals ala 2001? No. Because lets face it, a movie like that would get torn to shreds today. You have to change with the times, I think it's something Star Trek has always tried to do.
  • You know, I still haven't seen the first, third, or fith Star Trek movies. I keep thinking I should watch them some time, but I just never get around to it.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I wouldn't bother with the fith, its truly terrible. The first one I actually quite like, although it is quite ponderous. The third isnt bad, but its not brilliant either. In my opinion of course ;)
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    The third isn't as good as the one that came before it but it's the best of the odd numbered films.

The only good thing about Star Trek 5 is the soundtrack.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    ST3 was actually a necessary evil that ST4 benefited from. The death of Spock did put a very strong damper on the 3rd movie, which ST4 turned into an excellent recurring theme. Some of the most hilarious moments in The Voyage Home, are Spock finding back his mind. If anything the series needed a serious dose of humor, which it got and it made for a great experience. :)
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Yeah? "Well double dumbass on you!"

I rather like ST4, I like them all for what they are, even 5, which was killed more by Shatner's heavy handed directing and poor writing than with the plot. They could have done a lot more with it.

I love ST:TMP, because it is ponderous, I like that they tried to make a film, not just a 2 hour ST Episode, But I also see why it did not gain traction.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Back in the 60's he took a little too much LDS...

:p
    JackN, I had a very hard internal debate on weather to use the Double Dumbass, or the LDS quote... now "Everybody remember where we parked"
  • Watch ST:TMP Director's Cut. They cut out a shitton of the boring flybys, make a few corrections, even add some new cgi footage to fill in missing bits. Also added a few nice character development scenes. Its actually not a half bad movie by any means.
    Like someone else said, catch the directors cut of The Motion Picture, you really should watch The search for Spock, Christopher Lloyd literally creates the quintessential Klingon with that role, but there is no real reason to watch Star Trek 5 unless you are trying to punish yourself. Very few scenes in it are noteworthy.
    I think the best line in 5 is simply Spoiler: "What does G-D need with a Starship?"

I figured i'd use the spoiler since a few have not seen it.

IMHO Lloyd is the only thing that saves ST:3 from being utter crap.
  • I think that line pretty much sums up the film, and is one of the reasons I'm one of the few people who actually like the film a bit. The focus on the prime trio was present in that film more than any of the others and their scenes together are actually really good.
    I just saw something on the Star Trek site that pretty much confirms that Benedict Cumberbatch [sp]will not be Khan[/sp].
    Yeah, I suppose the only saving grace in ST5 is the interaction and screen time given to Kirk, Spock and McCoy.
    Row Row Row your boat was pretty funny at the time as well.
    Star Trek 5 was actually the first Star Trek film I watched all the way through, not sure I'd seen that many episodes before it either, so it did an excellent job of introducing me to Kirk, Spock and McCoy.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I think that the interactions of Kirk, Spock and McCoy in ST5 were some of their best scenes of all to be honest. It really showed their deep friendship and affection for each other, which although often alluded to and touched on, was never shown as well. Only good bit of the movie IMHO
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    ST5 was worth it for the crew interaction TBH. Wasn't that the one where Scotty had an unfortunate encounter with a bulkhead? I loved that as a kid. :D
    That's the one :D