Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Forums Upgraded

Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
I have upgraded the forums to vBulletin 5.0. Let me know if anything is broken. Styling will be done over the next few days.

Comments

• Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Some notes:

[LIST=1]
    [*][COLOR=#ff0000][B]CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD NOW![/B][/COLOR] The forums were compromised. I know that the spammer got into at least one admin account (don't know which). That means he probably compromised the encrypted password database, and probably has your password.
    [*]The site has no content. Yes, that's right, nothing is on the website except for the index page and the forums. Everything else has to be scoured for attack vectors from the spammer. He hit everywhere, and it's going to take weeks for me to go through every file to make sure nothing malicious is sitting waiting to be executed.
    [*]The new forums are slow. Nothing I can do - vBulletin is aware of the issue and they are working on it. I'll upgrade the forums regularly over the next several months until they speed up. Until then, we have to live with slow forums.
    [/LIST]
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    My eyes!! Zee goggles, zey do nussink!!

How is changing my password going to help, I'm not an admin... I changed it anyway. The smileys are offline. Let me guess Mister Scott, next Tuesday?

Other than that, well done!! :-)
    My eyes!! Zee goggles, zey do nussink!!

How is changing my password going to help, I'm not an admin... I changed it anyway. The smileys are offline. Let me guess Mister Scott, next Tuesday?

The forum is so slow, you don't want to edit your posts. I actually got an internal server error just trying to post this message.

Other than that, well done!! :-)
    Yeah, smilies are offline. I'm working on things still. Going to take time to get things back to "normal" around here. I also noticed post editing was broken.

As for changing your password - the reason is that the spammer could use your account to post to our site - or even worse, if you use that same password on other sites, access them also.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Someone needs to smite this spammer, and soon!

Good job RC!
    I know the colors are bad in some places. Still working on it. Going to be tomorrow at least before I get them all good.
    Post icons and smiles should be back. :-) was never a smile. Lose the nose :)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Thats better! That original colouring made my eyes hurt! Now it just needs more purple and it'll all be good! :D
    I'm trying to quote other posts and either I don't know what I'm doing or it's borked.

It is like being on a new ship and not everything is working. :D
    Colors should be a lot better now. The reskinning isn't finished, but it's improved!

If you really, really like the default skin, you can still choose it at the bottom.

As for quoting, no clue. We are running a BETA version of the forum software, so I expect some issues. But it was either that or upgrade to the latest 4.x version, then again in a couple months when 5.x came out. Twice the work, and I wouldn't have had time.
    The EDIT feature is FUBAR. I tried to edit a post, I was shown a blank message, and all I could do was delete said message, that's NOT editing. ;) I know I don't have much useful information to share these days but that's not the forum software's business. :D

Patience will be required and as well as a lot of elbow grease. ;)
  • Is this the official "I hate the new layout but I will forget it in a week" thread?
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    I hate when that shit happens, Well, good luck fixing everything.
    Hmm one thing I am liking is viewing the forums on my mobile, the mobile version is much easier to read on a small screen!
    Yeah, part of the problems with the forums is we went to a beta version. We could have gone to 4.x and done an entire reskin, then in a month or two when the final version of 5.0 comes out done it again. Or, in our case, taken the easy route and just gone strait to 5.0 before it was ready for prime time and only do half the work :D

Spammer hit again. I've shut down every last mod and hosted site and reset our entire site. If he gets in now, he's coming in through the server, not our code, in which case we will have to look at leaving Dreamhost since they are virtually non-responsive to this kind of thing from what I've experienced in the past.
    Test
    Yeah, quoting isn't working at all. Nice...

Well, that's what we get for using a beta!
  • Hmm...Fancy features. Will take a couple days to get used to.

[B]test[/B]

...Awww... :(
  • Wait..it works!
    Note: At the very least, basic HTML is enabled in posts. Just a FYI. ;)
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I'm offline for five minutes and everything changes. Even my old bookmark didn't work (I've still been going to forums.firstones.com, for reasons related to autocomplete that I vaguely remember).

Also, fine, I'll get 1password. I'm tired of living in fear. Password databases cracked, Twitters hacked, SSNs stolen. Time to take a measure of control over the madness and actually use some of those security practices I tell everyone to do.
    Oh, I should fix forums.firstones.com. I turned it off this morning when I was mass shutting down every hosted site because the hacker had another door somewhere. It was a redirect page only, but I didn't have time to audit it to make sure the hacker hadn't hit it. I'll see about bringing it back up.

What I do know is that:

[LIST=1]
    [*]Initial vector of the hack appears to be the Wiki.
    [*]After that, the hacker got into our SSH accounts and our forum admin accounts.
    [*]After cleaning up the entire main site and resetting all passwords and upgrading the forums and shutting down every other page on the main site, it seems he still had a way in, probably through a mod somewhere. So those are now down too.
    [/LIST]

I'll hopefully be able to audit all the hosted mods over the next couple of weeks and bring some of them back up. As Sanfam said today, the internet can live without the mods for a couple weeks.

I am still working on skinning the forums. Right now the thread view, forum view, and forum list are pretty much passable. I still need to hit the user pages, the popup widgets, and a number of other isolated parts. And I still need to look into changing the post graphics to our nice B5 insignia :)

Overall, excluding the obvious bugs with the new software, I think we'll get used to it. It definitely is different.

Oh, and as some of you may have noticed, your Avatars have vanished. I'm not sure exactly where they went. Most of the avatars were preserved, but a few went pop. I tried rebuilding the avatar cache today, but it didn't help. They seem to just be gone.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I blame Smaug....
    It is slowly looking better around here. Got rid of those ugly post icons on the thread list. We now have no icon for read threads, and a nice B5 icon for unread threads. Not 100% happy with it, but for now it will do.
    The first thing I disabled were the private notifications about everything. I just kept the most important notifications active. Stuff you don't need works out of the box. Who is this idiot who designed this? :D
    At least it's starting to look like it used to. Thanks RC. ;)
    The signatures are gone as well. By gone I mean, you can't have any and the ones you had are bye-bye.

So, here's the new procedure to EDIT a post. You select the text of your message and copy it before clicking on EDIT. Then you paste it into the blank text box and do your modifications and then save your message. Wow. That's streamlining at its best. :D
    The signature data is still in the database.

As for notifications...you mean you actually got them to stop??? I so far have not. I still get notifications on things I turned off :(
    We have signatures! A bit small - will have to play with the font size.

So...apparently vB is adding a user "showsignature" option. The template has it, but they forgot to actually add it to the database. So I just changed the template to make them always on.
    Font sizes on signatures are better. The parser code isn't putting in line returns though :(
    Ok, people with well compliant CSS3 browsers will have decent font sizes in the signature block. For those that know CSS, I had to resort to this!

.post-signature span[style*="font-size:8px"] {
    font-size: 10px !important;
    }

*grumble*

Why would they hard code the font sizes into their parser instead of defining them in CSS?