Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

We are back! Now what?

Now that we are back we need to figure out both short and long term plans.

* Use the modern discussion layout or the old school categories. I prefer the modern one as it puts discussions first and help make the site look more alive. It does not leave a good impression if the first thing a new user sees is a bunch of categories where the newest posts are from 2001.
* Skinning. This will take a bit of research but I would like to find something sci-fi ish and modern. Trying to apply the old color scheme on this new system might not be worth it.
* What should we do with the old categories so it doesn't pollute the new discussion category list?
* There is a new social addon where users can use their facebook or twitter login for their user account. I am sure there are more in various plugins. Should we enable this?

Long term discussions
* What role/community start to cater to?
* How do we get our name out there so people come here (example, force Darth_angelus to host his machinma community here, or get a modding community for an upcomming scifi game here)

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    It's good to be posting here again :D

My vote would be to keep the old categories but rearrange them so the most active areas (such as Zocalo) are at the top. Forums that aren't used so much, it would be a shame to delete them but perhaps if they're at the bottom of the list, it won't be such a problem?
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    edited July 2014
    It looks like categories have an archive feature so they can still be visible but not polluting the current list.

If that doesn't work out here are my thoughts for some of the current categories:
    Combine all B5 tvshows/movies into one category.
    Remove all 0 post categories.
    If a mod has subcategories combine them into their main category.
    Combine any remaining subcategories in archive into archive.

There is a tag plugin which *could* be used in some cases. For example the worldwide threads can be tagged with their language and all moved into worldwide.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    edited July 2014
    We have waaaay to many sub-forums.

Given the number of posts we had here *before* we got hacked to death, we'd probably be fine with just the Zocalo, and archive all the rest.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    My thoughts: Zocolo, Babylon 5, and Warleader. Archive the rest. Only reason for Warleader is for those that fail our "limited sanity" test :)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Shockingly I agree with RC.
    so Hmmm, need to figure out why our names are showing up twice... Crois and worf are fine, but Biggles, ShadowDancer, and myself are messed up.

Also, apparently they don't like the font color tag on this board :)
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Its where your avatar should be, none of them ported over.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I'm perfectly fine thank you RC! You can be messed up by yourself! ;)
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    coool
    Ah, that is better!
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Great work on getting something up again. Really thought I'd never see this place again.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    edited July 2014
    I'm with you on that C_Mon, I've missed this place!
    *Just realizes he's been a member of Firstones for 15... FIFTEEN years...

Dang... That is literally half my life. Just turned 30 a couple days ago.
    Yep, its not been the same without it!
  • purple!
    PURPLE!!!!!
    PURPLE!!!!!!!!!
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Holy cow...out of a random thought, I keyed in the addy...low and behold, there is living breathing board again!

Missin ol' blue though.

Man how life has changed since the last time I was active!

Jake
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Amazing how many people are trickling back in. Shows you how tight this community is.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    Aaaand there's a forum again! I've barely posted over the last five-ten, but I always check.
    This is great! After the last year of not having the forums, it feels fantastic to see that our little community still exists! :)
    I am amazed at how many people keep trickling back in!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Yeah, the name showing up twice thing was my broken avatar. It's back now, so you can all relax.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Man...I've missed this place. So good to have it back on my daily rotation. :)
  • We are back? Didn't even notice we were gone...
  • In BetweenIn Between The Ultimate Lurker
    Great to see you all again
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    edited August 2014
    Hello everyone!! Finally the forum is back online! It's good to see some of the old-timers are still among us. ;-)

I just looked at my profile... it's been 15 years since I joined. Holy *Beep!*

And of course the topic got derailed... now what was the question again? LOL
    This is Firstones...of course it got derailed! ;)
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Wow... I feel like a Firstone waking up from a long sleep...
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Hey it's Jack!

• JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Hey how do you log out when you are done? :D