Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

What's with this obsession about the Human Barbie?

I can't help but notice that the press keeps bringing this topic up like this is something special or news worthy. The latest article I've come across was this one on Yahoo (The Psychology of a 'Human Barbie') about yet another young female who has gone through a lot of trouble to look like a human doll. Why do these people get side lined as mentally deviant or sick? Why are they focussing on the human barbie? All the cosplayers who enjoy dressing up like anime or movie characters can't all be crazy!! What about athletes or bodybuilders and all those who go under the knife to look and feel better about themselves? Whose business is it anyway? Maybe it's just much ado about nothing by the media but still, the topic keeps popping up.

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    First I've heard of it to be honest. Half of this stuff I figure only hits the media because it gives someone, somewhere something to talk about (and sweeping generalisation ahead) its usually the type of media "personality" that likes to hear the sound of their own voice.

If it doesn't cause any harm, whats the problem? Too many people these days are too interested in sounding off and involving themselves in things that really are none of their business. In my humble opinion anyway! ;)
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I think these stories originated on social media and took a while to reach mainstream outlets. It's just that the topic keeps coming back and it's probably just to stir interest to rack up views, to take a stab at 15 minutes of fame. Just like this icebucket fad that has been making its rounds on the internet. Hey look at me!!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Do I have to look at you? :p
    Nope! lol If anything I'm a bit creeped out by those barbies!!!
    They do look a bit odd, but then again there are folk out there covered in tattoos head to toe who could be considered equally "deviant". Live and let live is a good way to live
    I agree, it's not really anybody's business really. Funny though how they work hard to look so artificial and then go around claiming it's all natural. I was born that way!!
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    edited August 2014
    Personally, I view cosmetic surgery as a plague on society. I can understand if someone was born with a deformation, or if something happened to them in life that disfigured them and they want to look more normal or go back to how they looked, but this whole thing about using surgery to change the body you're born with is pretty disgusting to me. It's this whole idea that we are somehow flawed and that there's some ideal way that we're all supposed to look. I heard from a friend who did some teaching in South Korea that it's getting to be pretty popular for Korean women to get surgery done on their eyes to make them look Caucasian, which is just absolutely disgusting to me.
    As for this whole Barbie thing, to me that girl looks like some monster from a horror story that I'd want to blow away with a shotgun if it came near me. What the hell is her body going to look like as she ages? These people apparently don't think about that sort of thing, or I guess they just say that they'll keep getting surgery. And where do they get the money for this? Do they just go in debt and never get out?