Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Spacy Games, Early Access, Kickstarter

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    Read the ingame news when you dock, there are some conflicts going on. Also check the game forums, people are doing a pretty good job of helping each other find items like combat stabilisers :)
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    edited December 2014
    Thanks a lot Worf, the emperor is sick and the locations mentionned in the forum are only 132-140 LY away... I doubt they'll still want those drugs when I get back. lol I'm screwed!

Edit: Emperor Sickness Worsens... I don't think he's going to make it. I dismissed the mission and picked up another one asking for non-leathal weapons which I was able to fulfill. I don't expect all missions to work out perfectly at this stage. I'm currently near Achenar, the imperial center of the galaxy if memory serves.
    edited December 2014
    Well, I'm slowly but surely getting along with ED. There are a few things that still annoy me and spark a vivid urge in me to kick some FD developer in the nut sack. lol It's so easy to waste credits it's not even funny. I regularly end up frying on the surface of stars or accidentally firing on police ships in the heat of a dogfight that they actually have no business poking their noses in gets me fined and mad. You also get attacked for firing accidentally on a station. Your only way out to avoid total destruction is killing the game in the task manager. Who thought that was a good idea? Power management is also something that wasn't so annoying in the original games and I don't mean the balancing act during dogfights which we know from the X-Wing and Tie-Fighter games. I mean when you want to upgrade your gear. I bit the bullet and installed a more efficient power plant to bypass the issue. I'm still looking for the MMO aspect of the game. Not much interaction and I'm never quite sure if I'm battling an NPC or not. I sold my interdiction device. Too much of a hassle. I got a docking computer instead. It's a double edged sword as it makes docking an automatic task, but it also removes some gameplay. Overall the game is fine but I can understand that some may not like it. I mean the gameplay is three decades old. As far as I'm concerned this is as close as a B5 game we could have hoped for without the actual B5 universe and its creatures. ;-)

Edit: I went and purchased another FSD interdictor device, it makes no sense to have a jump cloud analyser thingy and not be able to interdict a wounded foe. lol I had to get rid of half of my cargo space to mount it, which makes no sense... but I am not complaining, I'm not really into trading.
    edited January 2015
    So I'm still playing ED... but the more I play it, the more I find things that aren't where they should be in terms of refinement. The game still needs some polish as far as gameplay goes. There are a few walls you inevitably will run into that are quite frustrating. You often get access to missions that you are far from being qualified for that involve mainly ship to ship combat. When you are rewarded over 100K for a hit, you know it's going to be tough, but when you are offered 8K you don't expect to get your a$$ handed to you and you will. From the start your controls appear to be frozen and all you manage to do is power up your FSD to barely make your getaway with a battered hull. If that sounds like fun to you, it does not to me. I guess reading the manual might help, but it shouldn't if the game were leading you into learning the ropes as you play. It doesn't help that you can't pick and choose what parts of your ship you want to have repaired when you are short on funds. It's all or nothing, until the devs fix this.

I finally got beam lasers that used to be great in the old games, but I'm not really getting the results I expected. I can fight bigger ships like ASPs but they don't stay until the end (which is the smart thing to do) and jump out of a loosing battle and I can't follow them because I can't jump that far with my Cobra. I sold my FSD interdictor device and jump cloud analyzer again because they are of little use to me at this point of the game. It's more lucrative to inspect unidentified signals that contain pirates and police ships fighting each other. No expensive gadgets required.

I also got blown to bits inside a station again, this time because the automatic docking computer (ADC) was taking its merry time to know where it was and where it needed to go. Just great. LOL Also noticed that it's not helpful to use the ADC as it does not try to avoid collisions with ships that are leaving the station which you are trying to dock at. I hope the devs will jump back into their saddles soon and get busy. ;-) At least I'm more or less back on my feet in the Eliteverse. I'm best at exploring than anything else right now, that's code for, I'm in logistics. lol
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Yeah there are a lot of things that still need a good bit of work! The docking computer being a prime example; the music is a nice touch, but functionally its a complete waste of space and time to use.

The rest of your points are also pretty much the way I feel; bounty hunting at the nav point is the best way to make money if you're not into trading but it can be an exercise in frustration.

Hopefully we get a big feature drop soon with some improvements.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    I've been playing Elite as well. So far I enjoy it a lot. I've got myself a Viper, and I spend time flying around resource collection sites collecting bounties. It's pretty lucrative. I can make a decent amount of money every trip out.

I've got buddies who do a good job of trading, but space trucking just isn't interesting to me. I make around 100-300k every trip out, depends on what ships I find at the resource collection sites. I get Anaconda's which take a lot of time, lots of Cobras, a few Asps. The viper is capable of taking them all down with the right setup.

Every once in a while, the anacondas try to ram me. I lost to one once. It sucked because bounties are tied to your ship and I had racked up about $250k in bounties. So all that was lost.

You guys are welcome to come over to our teamspeak. We have about 7-8 guys playing.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I'd love to, but unfortunately my current internet connection is only suitable for solo play. It might not be the most sociable "MMO-type" out there, but I'd love to see some actual people rather than NPC's all the time
    You can still hop on tspk and bullshit with us. We play in a private group and we are currently spread out a bit.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Fans of Nexus and Homeworld: http://shallow-space.com/

"Command elements of the Terran Confederate Navy's Gamma fleet as you progress a diverse set of random encounters and scripted missions played out on a grand campaign map. An epic story awaits you as you prove your worth against the enemies of the Terran Empire. Design your fleet, building smaller ships to supplement your capital class vessels. Level your officers, strategically position your forces throughout the stellar system to combat insurgency. You will command factories and control the future of your fleet, but you are not building an economy. You are going to war."

http://pulsarthegame.com/

A cooperative first person starship simulator for 2-5 people
    Glad to see space games are celebrating a comeback. :-)
    edited January 2015
    Slowly but surely I'm upgrading my cobra with some effective gear. I swapped my fixed beam lasers with tracking beam lasers which helps a lot when you are struggling with mouse and keyboard during dogfights. I added a guided missile rack and am saving to get a second one of those asap. In other words, my cobra is growing teeth. I dispatched a pirate cobra in less than 30 seconds. It cost me 2k in missiles but the bounty of 8k+ sure made up for the trouble. I purchased an additional cargo rack to double my hauling capacity to 32t in hopes this will attract more lucrative contracts but I'm not holding my breath. I got rid of the auto-repair module which doesn't seem to do anything, I suspect it's not implemented yet. Another device on my list of things to try is the ECM gear which I'm assuming knocked out my controls in my failed attempt at taking down an anaconda (the description says it only affects ordinance fired at you though). The latest 1.04 patch included a lot of mumbo jumbo about things that were fixed that only a developer would understand. lol

Anyway, once you've got more punch, the game starts to become more satisfying and raises its rank to mostly pointless to mostly fun. ;-)

I installed the ED iphone app the other day, it's nice to be able to check on your status outside of the game, but I'm still waiting to see what else it will be good for as of right now it's only good to show off how much of a geek you are. lol

I dispatched 3 pirate ships with my tracking beam lasers in one instanced battle and I didn't have to fire a single missile. Granted they were weaker ships but still, not too shabby, 10k in rewards.
    edited January 2015
    http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2015/01/a-list-of-spacesci-fifantasy-games-you-can’t-miss-in-2015/

A collection:

No Man’s Sky

Exploration

Inner Space
    Exploration

Rebel Galaxy
    Blow ships up

TerraTech
    Minecraft your petty tank into a robust factory machine nomming machine.

Fractured Space
    Capital ship deathmatch.

Robocraft
    Currently free early access. World of Tanks meets Sci-fi blocks

Dreadnought
    Capital ship combat in atmospheres

Enemy Starfighter
    More classic spaceship combat

Take on Mars
    Current Early Access. SP and cooperative Mars exploration and base building.

Maia
    Early access. Dwarf Fortress set on another planet. With a better UI.

Kerbal Space Program
    Early Access. Sandbox to space program management. Multiplayer mod too!

Limit Theory
    Space exploration sim.

Stars Beyond Reach
    4X. No units, more of a competitive SimCity.

Habitat
    Early Access. Space RTS. Construct your base from debris in Earth Orbit.

Factorio
    Build a manufacturing plant.

Shallow Space
    Space RTS inspired by Nexus Jupiter Incident and Homeworld.

Flagship
    Space RTS, but from the first person view of your flagship's bridge.

Galactic Princess
    Like FTl, but build your own ships and more open sandbox/survival focus.

Mandate
    4X, RPG, Tactical game.

edited January 2015
    Epic! @-) It's going to be a great year in space gaming.
    Definitely some great looking games coming :D
    edited January 2015
    Another ED update today (1.05)... mostly fixing bugs underneath the hood again as far as I was able to figure out. I scratched two pirates out of the sky, racking up rewards up to 28k, minus 5k in guided missiles. :D I upgraded my shield generator again, it's definitely worth the money as you become somewhat immune to attacks. Those missiles do make a big difference and you enter a dogfight with much more confidence. No one escaped since. ;-) This is indeed the most lucrative way to make a living in ED that I managed to figure out, going by what was mentioned before. I'm reluctant to fight ships with a clean record unless they attack me, which may indicate an online player falling for my lower battle rating. It is still hard to tell who you are fighting. BTW, the dogfights I initiate occur in unidentified signal instances with pirates and polices forces, not jump points near a star. Helping out police keeps the other pirates ships busy while you take them out, one by one.

I ranked up to imperial "Master" today and shortly after I received an invitation to visit Achenar, the home system of the Empire. I suppose I should feel privileged. ;-) I wonder if this will open up other missions... as it turns out, nope. lol So you require permission to get there but once you are there, you pretty much have nothing to do. Even the "palm tree hotel reception style" station is while nice nothing special as it is used elsewhere. Okay then. ;-)

I wasn't sure if I could beat an imperial clipper so I gave it a try when I was interdicted by one. It blew up right before I did after ramming me. So it was a close battle.(*) It was good to know where my limits are but all things considered it's not worth it as I fired 6k worth of missiles and there would have been no reward as the attacker had no bounty. I have a feeling I've been fighting mostly NPCs so far because they are way too chatty. The live chats are colored in blue if I'm not mistaken and those have been rare so far. (*) On second thought, it was probably because of a low rated pilot. As it turns out, these imperial clippers are a tough nut to crack at the hand of a better AI. I tried myself again at the naval mission (see below) to take out a military traitor general and I managed to only damage the ship to 50% until I was out of commission and had to bail. Even with my shield cell (which is a very useful device after all) I was unable to stick around long enough. I will have to upgrade my hull armor which I'm currently saving up for (150k).

Looks like I ranked up as far as I could on both the federal and imperial navies. They both want me to take on a heavy opponent so this means I have to upgrade as much as possible if I am to have the slightest chance at progressing. Still learning how to use some of the tools. I sold my kill warrant scanner, seems a bit useless to me. I thought it would allow you to cash in your bounties without the need of docking at a station, but no such luck. If it's only good to check on the bounty of a pirate it clearly has missed the mark in my book. At this point in the game I'll take on any challanger that is a match to what I can deal with since this is where the credits are. I cashed in 36k for downing 3 ships, that's quite a lot for a few minutes of battle. One of them was an Asp. Not too shabby if I can say so myself. ;-)
    Sid Meier: Starships just announced: Early 2015

edited January 2015
    Oh Kickstarter: Into the Stars

"Take the role of Captain as you explore a massive solar system in search of a new home for humanity. Outfit your ship, select your crew and set off on a journey where you must scavenge resources, shelter civilians and outrun a hostile alien force in order to survive."

The Sid Meier game sounds interesting. I just hope they actually do some QA on in before launch this time!
    I refuse to play any SM games, his games are too addictive. ;-)

Finally making some good cash in ED, 85k in a one hour playing session, not bad at all. Love zapping those pirates during random interdictions too. It's all about knowing when to fight and when to run and picking the right stations as bases of operations to go on illegal yet profitable runs. I don't agree with salvaging being considered an illegal act. It's more rewarding than mining and less of a hassle at this point.
    I've taken to doing the hunting missions, where you have to hunt through a couple of systems for your target. The length of time taken is usually a good bit less than bounty hunting at the nav points for a similar reward.
    edited January 2015
    I will try that next, I've almost saved up enough cash to upgrade my hull to withstand a greater beating and my FSD to jump farther distances. All I have to do is find my way back to the station that has the gear I want. I upgraded to version 1.06 tonight. They supposedly fixed the problem of players getting destroyed inside stations for no apparent reason.

I don't know if this is supposed to happen or if it's a bug, but I got interdicted again by an NPC with a clean record who destroyed my ship in less time than it takes to say yippy-ka-yeah! Is there a weapon that can penetrate both shields and hull armor and slice you up like a turkey? Haven't tried rail guns or any other projectile weapons yet but this seems a wee bit much especially coming from a small ship like this. If this is their idea of fun, they've got it all wrong. Since they record everything that people do in-game I hope they notice people logging off in frustration.
    The hunting missions are fun but make sure you are well armed. Every target I've found has been a tough kill.
    edited January 2015
    I'll try, but I fear my cobra will only get me so far. I'd hate to have to part with my guided missiles.

Well I got my answer, I went on a conflict zone mission and butted heads with an anaconda which was down to 25% and had her knocked down to 2% when my cockpit windshield blew out and then my internet crapped out. X( :(( So I would have died anyway... as I suspected, I'm nowhere near ready. Why they let you even participate on such missions goes beyond me. I may not use the propper tactics yet, targeting sub-systems instead of burning off the shields and then hit the target with missiles but even repleneshing my shields quickly does not help much to protect me long enough against the resulting onslaught. Bottom line, I had no business going there in the first place. Anyway, now I have to figure out what the status of my cobra is... the ED app says I'm back at the station I accepted the mission from. The truth is slightly different, I was floating in the battle zone at 71% hull strength. Even though I'm stuck with a 10.2k bill for missiles an 2.5k in repairs, I can't consider myself too lucky because dying cost me 13k last time. lol

Another thing that was kinda silly, once I arrived at the conflict zone it was not immediately apparent who the enemy was. So I picked a side. I guess I didn't choose wisely. lol
    Stingray, its a plasma weapon. I've had it happen too. Thank goodness I'm fast. Ran out with like 10% hull after a single shot.
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for the information SpiritOne, I'll look into this. Hmm, plasma accelerators... 800k+ per weapon, it's going to be a while before I'll get one of those. At least I know now what's killing me. lol While doing some research on the subject matter I've gotten confirmation on a fact I noticed while hunting pirates. If you shoot a ship that belongs to the strongest faction in a system, police will turn hostile on you. I got fined and shot at a couple times and I didn't know why. Another annoying thing is, don't forget your "stolen" loot in the cargo bay, you'll get fined as well when you enter a large station. That's why I've learned to appreciate the smaller outposts despite their shortcomings.

Installed update... 1.07. They are tracking mysterious player deaths now. :))

On a black box retreival mission I ran into three clean pirates that I had to fight all at once (2 eagles and a sidewinder) and I scratched them all out of the sky with only repair & reload bills as a result. No bounties to collect. I'm still unsure if those clean kills count towards your battle ranking. I have my doubts because the unit used to compute your ranking is credits. I'm glad I had a shield cell mounted otherwise I would have sustained even more damage. Those cells need to be reloaded on stations, which kinda sucks. Since I didn't get interdicted for the last two updates I'm assuming they dialed down the probability for a fight with pirates. I installed FSD interdicting gear on my ship again because I want to test the nav beacon camping scenario to make some extra cash. ;-)

I just decided to swap my missile racks with multi-canons. I wasted too many costly missiles on unfinished business. So I looked for an effective yet less expensive alternative. I also upgraded my hull again with a military grade composite. I hope it has more to offer than an excessive price tag of 350k. Those multi-canons are quite effective all things considered, you can't use them at long range, but when the projectiles do hit, they are devastating.
    Here's 37 minutes of Homeworld Remastered gameplay footage from the hour long Homeworld panel at PAX South, so you've got the panel as commentary as well :)

Link
    edited February 2015
    I'm glad they are remastering Homeworld. I bought the games back then even though I wasn't very good at them. :)) I noticed the current trend to re-release old games with better visuals and audio. It's a good idea as some are true gems.

I have been goofing around the new ED 1.1 beta for the last few days and it clearly shows that the initial release is nowhere near to complete as some may have expected when they purchased the game a few months ago. Many features from the previous games do not exist yet, as the developers just didn't have the means to implement them in a year's worth of development time. But the future looks very promising indeed and over the next months this game will very likely surpass any of the prequels and wannabe clones.

As the exorbitant prices of the larger ships hinted at, people were not really meant to be able to play with those right away. The beta does allow you to try them nevertheless by opening the door just far enough to get a foot in if you know where to look and what to do to get the necessary funds. ;-)

I tried a couple but I'm best with my trusty cobra. The bigger ships are far less manoeuvrable and I usually end up as a dust cloud. The python is a very nice ship but requires different tactics in combat. The Type 9 transport is huge and slow.

The bottom line though is that it is quite pointless to spend too much time to play the game in its release state to be quite honest. The current mission set is repetitive and becomes stale quite quickly. Too many people loose their assets to bugs or unwanted side effects. The rewards do not match the efforts and as I stated before, some missions are not meant to be played with low skill levels and the tools provided.
    I'm quite looking forward to the 1.1 update. I like the idea especially of going for a ride on the 'explorer starport' into unknown sections of the galaxy. I almost need to make another account so that I can have one to play with in known space and another for exploring unknown space so that I don't have to make long trips home.
  • Speaking of exploring unknown space,

ALL ABOARD THE NO MAN'S SKY HYPE TRAIN!