Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

JMS to write Red Mars TV series

WORFWORF The Burninator
It was announced awhile back that a tv series based on the Red Mars books was going to be made and today they revealed that JMS would be writing for it.

I've not read the books, I feel like I should though.

Link

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I've not read them either, though I've always felt that I should read them at some point
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I read Red Mars a long time ago... all I remember was something about a murder mystery. Not what I was expecting and I never bothered with the other books. But that doesn't have to mean anything.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    edited January 2015
    It is a really good example of hard sci fi. The author has issues developing likeable characters. I read the books a while ago and enjoyed them well enough. I feel like it is best read on how future technology will impact society over individual characters. He also just wrote 2312. Another interesting look with a really bleh main character.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The books are a great read, but only after you've invested a lot of time getting into them. The author's other books all have the same problem. :) Incredibly detailed, well thought out, but difficult to get into. [i]The Years of Rice and Salt[/i], for example, is another fascinating book which requires real effort to get in to.

I'm not sure how well Red Mars will work as a series, given the lack of easy-to-relate-to characters. I expect to see some dumbing down by the producers to "reach a wider audience."
  • I don't know -- with the popularity of shows such as "game of thrones" and "breaking bad" (even BSG to some extent), it has been shown that a show can be popular without likable characters.