Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

X-Wing and TIE Fighter Return

WORFWORF The Burninator
Looks like GoG.com will be re-releasing X-Wing and TIE Fighter, along with a few other old Lucasarts games.

Tomorrow

Link

It's going to be so good playing these again and hopefully they'll sell well enough to show there's still interest in Star Wars space sims. I suspect we'll be seeing more Lucasarts games being rereleased as well.

Comments

• SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    hell yes!
  • I have X-Wing, but I could never get past the first mission (I only played it back in like 4th grade). I could play Wing Commander just fine, but this game I always had difficulty with. I think I remember running out of energy or something and I ran out of shots.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    You have to divert power to weapons (from shields or engines) so they recharge :)
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Sweet, never finished any of those games either. The only one I did of this type was Freelancer.
  • @Worf can you travel back in time and tell that to my 10 year old self please? Thanks.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I used to be absolutely addicted to Tie Fighter, tho I never really got a chance to play X-Wing. Something I might be able to remedy now!
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Esh, spent so many hours on X-wing...on an IBM 486-24, always had to run it off a boot disc. Yes Weapon/Sheild/Engine management was key in several missions. I remember a specific mission protecting a medical frigate from tie-bombers that were approaching from both sides, the only way you could intercept both waves of bombers before they were withing firing range was rush to the first set, take them out as quickly as possible, then divert all resources to engines and rush to intercept the second set and hope you were able to get to them early enough to diable them before they were in range.

Favorite ship from that game was the B-Wing though...

Jake
    Yesterday Gog released the next wave of old Star Wars games:

Xwing vs TIE Fighter
    Xwing Alliance
    Dark Forces
    Galactic Battlegrounds
    Knights of the Old Republic 2
    Battlefront 2

Apparently there are more coming tomorrow and next week as well.
    Cool, dark forces is fun also! And did I say the B wing was my favorite...meant the Y-wing...the B-wing wasn't in the orginal X-Wing game as I recall.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Dark Forces was awesome at the time!! It holds a special place in my heart... for a video game that is. lol
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    edited January 2015
    I still have the original Tie Fighter disks somewhere in my closet. Used to play it a lot. It was one of the best space fighting games, but it was pretty hard though.

• Games used to be harder in general.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I think the Redemption mission in X-Wing was probably one of the hardest missions of them all!
    The B-Wing was added to X-Wing in an expansion pack :)

Those games had some really tough missions.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Even though I blatantly cheated in TIE Fighter, there was one mission I was never able to get past. If I remember right, it seemed that I needed to be in two places at once immediately to protect different ships, neither of which was where I spawned in. Looking back on it, it was probably a power-management puzzle.
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    Games used to be harder in general.
    I agree. It used to be really hard to play through games in the past, but now it seems a lot easier. But I think too hard games are not very enjoyable either and it can get frustrating quickly if it gets too hard. Afterall games are supposed to be fun. :)
    Thanks SD...yep that was the mission, defending the Repemption. Don't know how many times I had to restart that mission until I realized that as soon as the first wave of bombers were taken care of, you had to divert all power to engines and book it to the opposite side of the battlespace. Memory on it is a bit hazy now, but IIRC, to win the mission, it took heading off to intercept the 2nd wave even before those bombers appeared...so it helped to be able "see the future" as it were.
    DofM...Sounds like you are refering to same level in X-Wing as SD...and yes it very much was a resource management puzzle.

Jake
    GoG.com have updated their editions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter to include the Collector's CD Rom versions of the games. It's the best way to play them, so thought I'd mention it.
    Ooh, and there are Mac versions of X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and both Rebel Assaults, now. Thanks for the heads-up. Nothing I haven't played before, but I might get X-Wing and TIE Fighter. I don't miss either Rebel Assault that much.

You know what I'd like? Racer. That was fun. And it'd be nice to play the later X-Wing games. Or, you know, a new space-combat game. Those are popular around here, right? :p
    As much as I want a new X-Wing game, looking at how EA are turning the new Battlefront into a huge step backward for that series, I think I'll be happy to just keep playing the old games.

I've got no doubt we'll see Racer sooner or later. Probably sooner as they don't have many Star Wars games left to rerelease :)
    edited May 2015
    Now, I'm way more excited about the GOG re-release of Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, Star Trek: Judgement Rites, and Starfleet Academy. Well, the first two, since SFA is Windows-only (for now?)

I'd thought it'd be a fun 50th Anniversary release to make a 3D remake of 25th and JR. You could probably get them on the full spectrum of devices, from phones to consoles to desktops. Maybe do something like the Arkham games, where there were unlockable skins, so you could swap models of the characters and ships and play in the TOS or movie-era. Heck, while I'm writing computer game fan fic, let's salvage the audio recorded for "Secret of Vulcan Fury" and throw that in, too. But just being able to play it at all is good, too.

ETA: Having played it, it's almost everything I hoped, aside from some slight vertical stretching, and the fact that since it's emulating the DOS version and not the Mac version, there are a couple small differences. Namely, I was used to saving the game whenever I damned well pleased, and the old Mac MIDI instruments were better (okay, "different") than their DOS equivalents, so all the music sounds off to me. I guess I still have a reason to try and beat SheepShaver into submission one of these days, after all.
    If you really want to play this on a phone or tablet, you could transfer the files and use a Dos emulator.

iDos 2 for iOS or Dosbox Turbo seem like the best options.

It seems likely we'll see the rest of the Star Trek games published by Interplay (can't wait for Klingon Academy) but it would be nice if GoG can bring back games from other publishers too :)