Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Interstellar

Anybody seen it yet? I hope it's as good as the trailers make it seem.

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I'm going to see it one night this week. I am moderately hopeful that it won't suck
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    The Bad Astronomer did not like it, but its soaring high on Rotten Tomatoes. Big Hero 6 is on my go to see in theaters next queue
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    I'm mixed on whether to go see it. I'm getting the impression that it is sort of like Contact, which was far from my favorite SciFi. I'll probably catch it when it hits streaming (Netflix, et al).
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Same here, it comes off like a visual spectacle that was Gravity. At least Big Hero 6 is funny.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I really enjoyed it but I can see why some wouldn't.

There is a little bit of a Contact vibe but I'd say it's more along the lines of 2001.
    Is it wrong to prefer 2010 over 2001? ;-)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    No, I really enjoy watching 2010 too. 2001 is a masterpiece, but it is harder to watch
  • Personally, I found 2001 to be absolutely boring.
  • I love 2001, but its one of those movies that you have to be in the right mindset to see. Its not something you pop in to enjoy for the day, you really have to be "I want my mind blown" and you can't be tired in any way. As long as you do that, its a great movie.
    edited November 2014
    That sums it up nicely actually. I have to be in the mood to watch a movie anyway, and TV for that matter too. I'm not one of these people who can just stick something on and just veg out in front of it; I really have to be in the mood, and prepared to divert my attention on to it, otherwise it just becomes background noise and I don't take it in. 2001 I REALLY have to be in the mood for.

EDIT: Oh, and going back on topic, I'm just back from seeing Interstellar. I really quite enjoyed it. A little predictable in places, but good performances from most of the actors (I'd marry Anne Hathaway in a heartbeat!), and some good touches of humour.

My only complaint was the sound. I don't know if it was just the theatre I saw it in, or it was by design, but I found it really hard to hear a good proportion of the dialogue, either because the soundtrack was too loud, the background sound effects/noise was too loud, or a combination of both. I almost wished I could have had subtitles on at a couple of points. Did anyone else get that, or was it just me?
    In other news, HBO wants to make Asimov's Foundation with Interstellar's Nolan.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    edited November 2014
    Had one or two moments of questionable sound but not sure it's as extensive as you experienced.

Thinking about seeing it again.
    Yeah I want to see it again too, tho I might go to a different cinema next time to see if the sound quality is any better. My hearing isn't too bad, but I really struggled there
    edited April 2015
    Well, I finally saw Interstellar and overall I enjoyed it very much even though I didn't at first quite know what to expect. Emotionally the movie was all over the place, moments of sadness, hilarity, love, anger, despair and hope. No movie has had this effect on me before. In a way it's not a scifi movie at all but a quest to find ourselves. We don't need to go to the stars, we have all we need right here. It's funny that a movie that features space exploration is not about that at all... at least that's how I understood it, your mileage may vary. The robots designs didn't do it for me although the voice acting was hilarious at times. The soundtrack was well done though as was the cinematography! Nolan has proven what he can do outside of comic books. I didn't get everything but that's ok, definitely worth watching a few times. ;-)
  • Favorite scene is when two characters are fighting hand-to-hand, and the camera pans out to show just how insignificant it all is; great movie. Y'all who haven't seen it yet have absolutely no excuses left.
    Not sure I have a favorite scene yet. I'll have to watch it again.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    I thought it was fairly boring. The whole predestination time paradox thing with the blackhole and her dead being her ghost. Meh
  • CanavandriveCanavandrive Registered User
    I just watched it I liked the effects but the music was super creepy.
    I found the acting to be melodramatic but i like how it expressed the human idea of survival.
    I had a few laughs from the robo dude "Whats your honesty factor? 90%" , "And your humor factor? 70%! Self destruct in ten minutes!" "Okay lets make that 50%" "Knock, knock."
    Its a lonely film or at least gives that impression, which is probably how space travel would be.
  • Music was one of my favorite parts of the movie, actually. And the sound design kicked ass. You could hear every creaking bolt on those spaceships.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I just saw it. I say it is a good modern update to 2001 which I have a hard time making through now a days. It is nice when the science is (mostly) solid and can still drive the plot of a movie.

Bawled at the end but grief is an emotion one must learn to live with.
  • edited April 2015
    Cathartic sad endings are the best kind of endings, as any B5 fan would understand.