Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

What Next?

A few months ago now, I finished B5. While I have yet to watch Crusade or any of the movies, I'm looking for something else to watch. Currently leaning towards either Stargaze:SG-1 or Farscape, but I thought I might ask you guys for suggestions before starting anything. It doesn't have to be a show, either-novels or comics could work as well.

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    edited May 2015
    Stargate SG-1 is great for the first 7 seasons and early 8th, after that it fizzles out because it is without O'Neill (and to a lesser but not least degree Hammond) who kept things interesting. It's not that the rest of the cast and the newcomers were bad, but RDA was the salt in the soup and you notice his absence. In essence I felt that the show had "jumped the shark" after that and it never recovered. I've noticed that many shows I've binge-watched that run beyond 7 seasons have had this problem (Frasier, Seinfeld, X-Files, Stargate SG-1). It's like the writers are running out of ideas after the show's main plot has run its course. You won't notice this as much when you watch a show an episode a week. Haven't watched Farscape yet... I'm trying to watch Andromeda... it's not easy to get into... Kevin Sorbo is Hercules... lol
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    If you don't mind animation, I hear Chronicles of Humanity is a pretty good scifi webseries.

*shameless self promotion* ;)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I would agree with your critique of SG-1; seasons 9 & 10 are nothing special. I truly miss the days of SG-1 prior to that, and Stargate Atlantis. Alongside B5, those two are probably my favourite scifi shows of all time, so I would definitely recommend SG:A once you're finished with SG-1
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I really liked Eureka, although the first four episodes are cringe causing and the show didn't really hit its stride until season 2.

You might like Crusade as I feel it is different enough to stand on its own without being "Just more B5." It also hit the ground running.

Agents of Shild is also quite good, especally after the events of Winter Solder. I'm one of the rare people who enjoyed season 1 so take that suggestion with a grain of salt.

But really, the best sci fi show ever is Teen Wolf if only because I am madly in love with Stiles. If Dylan O'Brian did something with Joss Wheton I woud... I would.... just implode.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    Personally, I find Joss Wheton extremely overrated.
    My recommendations are probably totally different from what you might expect. My favorite shows besides B5 are Neon Genesis Evangelion (the original, not the terrible remake, which I'm hoping so much is intentionally bad), Boogiepop Phantom, and Serial Experiments: Lain. They all happen to be anime, but I don't actually consider myself to be an anime fan. Lain is very interesting in the context of the current state of technology and the Internet. Strange how it came out in the late 90's, but really doesn't feel dated.
    The 60's show The Prisoner was an inspiration for B5 and is pretty good, but you'll have to put up with a lot of cheesy stuff that can be frankly embarrassing to watch. The core of the show is a very good message though. There's an old interview with Patrick McGoohan where he explains the thought behind the show and what most of it actually meant that's really cool. A great concept that could have been done better and that I'd say is worth checking out.
  • FarScape is turning out to be really fun. It has a similar sense of humor to B5, and as long as you don't try and take it seriously, it's great. Y'all should watch it.