Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Sense8 is now on Netflix

I haven't watched it yet, so I have no idea how good it is, but expectations are not particularly high.
Tagged:

Comments

• croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Ahh excellent I shal begin watching tonight
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I didn't think it was out until the 5th? Looking forward to it though.
    Some reviewers have the first 3 episodes
  • You can watch the trailer, not the show. The show does start on the 5th.
    What are the reviews like, by the way?
    edited June 2015
    So far mixed. The most common criticism I see is the slow build (which is fairly normal for jms) and a lot of mystery that wasn't resolved in 3 episodes. Another is that the messaging is a bit heavy handed, but these short 12 episode seasons don't leave as much room for nuanced character development moments like the old traditional 26 episode seasons. Because it also isn't a weekly episode like traditional tv the story telling will also unfold differently than traditional tv.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Ron Jeremy is listed as hairy Mexican in the cast member list. What could possibly go wrong? lol
    I find 12 episode seasons are actually good for storytelling, because you have a decent amount of time for the story without needing a lot of filler to make it last 20-26 episodes.
    Oh I agree that shorter seasons are better paced, but I often find that while the plot moves forward better I have a harder time connecting to the characters if it is a larger ensemble cast.
    I still do want to do a mini series to half season edit of season 1 of b5.
    Hmm, just watched the first episode and I can see why the reviews are saying those things. Not entirely sure I liked it actually.
  • Does it feel like it's trying too hard to be Orphan Black?
    I am not yet done with the season, so I haven't ready any reviews due to fear of spoilers. So far I'm liking it. Interesting enough it went opposite of my usual theory of character development suffers in short seasons shows. The first few episodes is all character development. As my husband put it that while things have been happening it doesn't feel like anything actually happened (this is what turned me off to lost), but the plot started to progress around episode 5.

I agree that some of the message is a bit heavy handed and preachy, but I am not as turned off by it as others. Some of the cinematography does get a little bizarre and odd for my tastes.

I do feel that it assumes the viewer is intelligent and there are good morsels that are open to implicit interpretation instead of explicit exposition. I also like how it seems like the characters are communication about what they are offscreen so we arnt inundated with the same exposition 7 times. I also like how not all the characters are directly involved with the conspiracy plot, and Lito's plotline is the same issue but manifested only in the real world.
    So I finished the season. I really liked it. I still think the critical reviews are valid, but it didn't bother me as much as some. I will say it can take a few episodes to get into it. It took me 2 and it took my husband about 4-5. Now that it is over I miss it and miss the characters.