Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Hey guys, Long Time No See

samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
So I don't know if anyone remembers me, but I was here in the beginning. Hey, guys!

I haven't visisted in a long time, but wanted to stop by and post this story

Way back during the good-natured "GREEN" vs "PURPLE" debates, I ended up creating a green aardvark avatar, which some of you may recognize:

That became my avatar across many forums. The original artwork did not have the boxing gloves or rocket pack; I added those later in response to what happened next.

Fast-forward a few years....during the production of Babylon 5: The Lost Tales, the direct-to-DVD B5 project, one of the FX crew who was working on the show--and who was also a member of the Firstones forums--asked for artwork submissions from forum members that he could use for Starfury "wing art". I submitted rocket-powered aardvark, as I thought it fit pretty well with the fighter squadron art theme.

Eventually, the FX artist e-mailed me to let me know that he ended up using my aardvark in The Lost Tales on a Starfury (it shows up during Sheridan's dream sequence). Here's the screenshot he sent me:

That was back in 2007, and many of the older FirstOnes.com forum members know about this.

Fast forward again to 2015.

I have become a board game fan, and over the last few years, have begun frequenting boardgamegeek.com, BGG has its own forums, and while browsing those forums earlier this year, I spied my familiar Aardvark avatar being used by another forum member. I PM'd him and asked him where he found it. This was his response:
I've used this image since highschool (prolly ~2002) and have used KillerArdvark as my callsign/gamertag since as well. Always shortened Aardvark to Ardvark because #1 two A's is just pointless, and #2 most of the time I have to shorten it due to character limits anyways. All the way down to KllrRdvrk sometimes.

I don't recall where I first saw it, but some time ago I set out to find where it was from. I was looking into getting a tattoo and your image was in the running. I ended up going for the skull Boba Fett has on the side of his armor. But your image is still in the running for a future one.

I did end up finding the FirstOnes forum and was excited to see that it was a "nerdy" image and was even in an intro for Babylon 5. So maybe in the future, with your blessing of course, I may sport it in ink!
And then, just this morning, I noticed that I had a couple of new PMs on the BGG forum. Here's the picture he sent me:

How insane is that?

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say "hi", and share with you guys something that started out on FirstOnes.com and ended up on TV and then on someone's arm.

Cheers!
samuelk

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Welcome back!

Haha that's awesome! A pretty sweet looking tattoo too!
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Good to see you!

Funny old world, isn't it?
  • "Firstones forums: Birthplace of the killer aardvark".
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Welcome back! :D

I remember how good it was to see a Firstone's wingart in the Lost Tales :D
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    edited August 2015
    Did I totally miss this? I don't remember ever seeing someone mention your aardvark being in The Lost Tales. Of course, I only ever watched it once, so obviously it's something I would miss.
  • samuelk! Been ages man, good to see you!
  • FreezeFreeze Disguised as a Trainee
    The Old One has surfaced. Hi there, man!
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    edited August 2015
    /me waves

Now I'm wondering what a b5 board game (or board game mod) could look like.....
  • shame about the color though ;)
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    edited November 2015
    One of my favorite SciFi artists Peter George Elson (RIP) did an Aardvark drawing... I wonder where his inspiration for that came from...

• JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    And good to see you around SamuelK! :)
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Hello, is this thing on? :)
  • Yes; we just haven't found any sci-fi to complain about for a few days.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    The expanse just aired!
  • As did Star Wars, but it looks like we ran out of things to complain about pretty fast for that one.
  • Well, I'm going to see it later today, so maybe I'll be able to complain about it then!