Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

HBO series A song of ice and fire cast presented

2»

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Are those toy dragons, like toy poodles? :D
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Um except toy poodles don't have the ability to fry someone...

Jake
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Perhaps not in your part of the world but around here...
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    And if you think that's bad, try toy aardvarks. Especially the purple variety, which is far nastier than the other, unnameable, abhorrent variety.
    edited August 2014
    Currently finishing up the 4th season of Game of Thrones and I must say, this series is some serious excrement. It's definitely not for the faint hearted and I'm trying hard not to like it. Between all the violence, the sex, the killing, the sex, the raping, the sex, the back stabbing, the sex, the intrigue, the sex, the dark humor, the incestuous sex, the sword fighting and the gay sex, this show has something for everybody. Since I never read the books, it took me a while to understand this was not about some of our own medieval past but a story that uses some aspects of our own historical and/or mythical past and just runs with it... well, the exact point of my epiphany was at the birth of the dragon babies if memory serves. I'm glad I didn't skip this show, but I'm most certainly not the man I used to be before I started watching. Never saw so much human depravity before or since. In a dog eat dog world, it won't leave you unaffected. Wow!!
    Well, season 5 of GoT was quite a ride, the finale will leave a few people scratching their heads. At this point they basically jumped the dragon. People who read the books so far actively try not to watch the show. If you can believe that. ;-) Not having read the books, I can imagine why. They should have killed off everyone in the pilot episode and called the whole thing off!! lol
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I read the books and actively watch the show.
    There are two complaints about season 5. One is the Dorn story is a bit weak, but I thought it was in the book as well. The second is that, there was a reddit comment that but it better: In almost all fiction there is some level of cheating by the writer to help the protagonists get out of trouble and solve problems, sometimes it is deus ex machina, sometimes it is bad writing, but often it is the writer setting up circumstances so enable the protagonists to survive.

Martin does not do any such cheating in Songs of Ice and Fire. Sometimes circumstances help the characters, sometimes they hurt them. Sometimes the characters are successful, sometimes they are out maneuvered. I felt the writers for season 5 have swung the other way, that they are cheating so the protagonists fail. John Snow suffers the same final consequence in Dance of Dragons as in season 5. Why it happened though differs. In the book the consequence makes sense because of certain choices John made. In the series John made different choices, but the consequences felt forced and didn't make as much sense.
  • Well, it's TV. Some simplification of themes has to be present.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Game of Thrones makes a big thing about doing what's realistic and often what's contrary to what you'd expect in a story like this. Sometimes I think they take being contrary too far to the point that you're left wondering how is this fun?

Still going to keep watching but the most recent season has left me with very few characters I actually care about.
    edited July 2015
    I agree, if there is nobody left to care about what is the point? I never liked the killing off of main characters (cough*RonDMoore*cough). I suppose by having so many they think some of them are expendable. I stopped caring a few years ago when they started cancelling promising shows. I can't believe the entertainment media are speculating about Kit Harington's (Jon Snow) hair, because he's keeping it long, he might be back next season. I'm guessing he'll be back as a zombie at some point. Just like Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) whose story got interesting and whose fate seems sealed (no hairdo to give us a hint). Then you have characters we might care less about that they continue to expand on. I obviously have no clue what they are thinking.

The 9th episode is still my favorite of the 5th season, epic battle, surprisingly well done.
    The battle didn't make any sense. Where did the Boltons get that kind of army?
    Sorry, I was referring to the battle beyond the wall, not the one about the Boltons. But I agree with you, what a mess.
    Ah yes. Wasn't int he book but that was a good battle
  • CanavandriveCanavandrive Registered User
    So I just caught up with Season 5 the level of brutality on this show can't be matched.
    Even Spartacus in all its bloody gore is a step down from GOT.
    Spoiler:

I found the sex in this season didn't really do it for me but thats most to do with the zealots destroying the brothels.
    I did shed a tear when Dinarus jumped the dragon and flew away.
    I was a little upset over John Snow's death what a shitty way to die.
    And all this time there was talk of John Snow being the true heir to the Iron Throne.
    Man that shame march must have been really a scar to the queen, even as an actress thats pretty demoralizing having to walk naked like that.
    Good thing she gets paid for it! hah
    I see this show going only one way White Walkers raiding Kings Landing and Dinarus and her dragons fighting them in a last epic battle.
    With some random kid taking the iron throne with naked bloodied corpses surrounding his/her court.
    Could be wrong though?!
    I do not read the books, don't spoil it! :)
    Aye, in the books we see one of the "one true god"'s power tht has not been shown in the tv show, so I'm hesitant on one of your points.
  • CanavandriveCanavandrive Registered User
    Wait are we talking about the same theory? The one about disrobing in public places? Oh Croxis thats another kind of theory! ha I think you may be hinting about a possible resurrection for John Snow?
    I know nothing!