Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

The Martian

WORFWORF The Burninator
Saw the film today, thought it was excellent. Let's hope Ridley Scott remembers what made this good when he makes Prometheus 2.

Anyway, it's well worth going to see and I think I should read the book now.

Comments

• Really excited to see what you guys will find to complain about it.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I really enjoyed it! I thought it was an excellent adaptation of the book, which was itself an excellent read! They missed out some bits that would have been good to see on the big screen, but nothing that subtracted too much from the story.

The only thing that bugged me was the time lag in communications between Earth and Mars. I know sitting for half an hour waiting for a reply to arrive wouldn't have made for an entertaining movie, but there were times when it felt like they were having an IM conversation, and then later they make a big deal of how everything will be over before Earth even hears they've started.

Overall though, 8.5/10
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Agreed about the time lag. It would have been nice for them to say more about it when they were setting up communications, so it would be something the audience could keep in mind when the film made it look more instant.
  • I'm guessing that that scene was in the script at some point, and was cut due to time constraints. It might be in the extended edition release, if that ever becomes a thing.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I'm looking forward to seeing it this weekend. Hopefully this plus the new of flowing water helps with NASA's struggling public perception.
  • No news of mysterious ancient black spider-like spaceships yet; still disappointed.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    edited October 2015
    I was able to keep the time compression in mind during the communication scenes. I actually had the opposite problem: Did it take days or weeks for Purnell to go from thinking of his idea, to mocking it up on paper, to computing it, to telling someone? It almost seemed like it was a couple of days just from the idea occurring to him to sitting back down at his desk, given how much time had been taking place between other scenes during that part of the film.

I get that rocket science is difficult, but they could've made it look like he was getting some work done in the meantime.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Reading the book first made the movie more suspenseful for me, for I had no idea if this or that disaster was going to happen!

It was a great movie, but the book is better.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Yeah several friends have seen the movie and really enjoyed it, so I've been recommending to them all that they give the book a go.
  • Since when is the book not better?
    Fair point, but this book is just so much better than the already excellent movie! ;)
  • I saw the movie last week and really liked it. I mean, this is real science fiction, where they're obviously doing their best to keep to real science. I loved how he used human waste for growing plants and it reminded me of Medea: Harlan's World, where the humans colonizing the planet do exactly that as well, expanding fields on the planet to help their colonies survive (I'd really recommend that book by the way).