Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Star Wars Episode 7

124»

Comments

• Saw it last night. It was great. There were two issues I had with it, but didn't have to do with the plot of characters.

I thought this movie had the weakest score. I watched all the movies the past week and the prequels had some amazing scores to them, but this wasn't endearing. Seems to be a common complaint online as well.

Also, while it felt more like the OT than the prequels did, it did have a bit of JJ Abrams stamp on it, in terms of cinematography. Some of the shots didn't feel Star Wars-y, especially the last shot which was clearly a helicopter shot.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    It was enjoyable, but I really did come away thinking "I wish they'd just left it at ROTJ"
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I have to admit, having seen it again (in IMAX 3D, which was actually pretty awesome) my opinion of it has improved a fair bit. I think being able to relax and just appreciate it, knowing what was coming, made me enjoy it more. It still isn't perfect, but I would give it a higher score now that after the first viewing.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    edited January 2016
    I really liked it. It felt more fun like the first movies, and I think that was something really missing from the prequels. I thought the characters were well done and that there was a good balance to them, with them all having their individual strengths and weaknesses, and none of them feeling like the special character in any way.
    I was worried about this movie after the disappointing Star Trek movies, but I think that Abrams got it right with this one.
    To be honest, it was the Star Trek movies that were causing me to worry the most. If you ignore that they're supposed to be Star Trek then they're not bad movies. As Star Trek movies they absolutely suck.

But as Star Wars, this one got it pretty well right. Not perfect, but as you say it was more like the first movies
  • Out of curiosity: Has anyone else still not seen it yet?
  • clickbait url, not looking at it out of principle ;)
  • CanavandriveCanavandrive Registered User
    Watched Star Wars 7 last week and It was really good. The 3d thing made it come alive. I felt like I was really there. I found the plot to be linear as in it seemed really logical the way the story unfolded. It was an adventure in its own right. Might be a spoiler I don't know but the Falcon took a really big beating the whole way. Still I was impressed I digged the whole Darth Vader I want to be like you dad deal. ha I look forward to episode 8 and I hope the force will still be with us in the next installment. :)
  • It's a bunch of illustrations in Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes style, but with the characters from Star Wars 7. The illustrations are inspired by certain drawings that appeared in the comic itself, which I've read through so many times that I could tell what each one was inspired by.
    So I read that the next one is going to be about Han Solo when he's younger, with a new actor playing him. Do we really need this? Is there any point? So now we're going to get an actor who probably looks nothing like Harrison Ford, who is supposed to be him only a few years younger than when we first see him? Yeah, that's a vital movie that needs to be made.
  • There's a lot of pushback on the 'net against a Han Solo movie. People are clamoring for a Kenobi movie though, which is perfect because Ewan McGregor is the perfect age to play a Kenobi in isolation on Tatooine between Eps 3 and 4.
    I still maintain that none of them need to be made. RoTJ ended the series perfectly, nothing more needed to be done.

That said, if they're determined to proceed down this route, I agree that a Kenobi movie would make more sense. I'd also hope that Ewan McGregor would finally get a script to work with that would do some justice to his abilities, as he's actually a fantastic actor
  • He mentioned in an interview a month or two ago that he has an NDA about his involvement with an anthology movie. So its probably going to happen.
  • CanavandriveCanavandrive Registered User

Hmm that sounds strange the way it
    Spoiler:
    hung off at the end with Luke
    you would think they would persist into Episode 8. I took it the new republic still had enemies how I wish they would throw in some Timothy Zawn, Thrawn anyone? That was so a pun on his name too. Wish they would throw in some of the Tie Fighter ships too those Tie Defenders did some major damage in the game would be great if Lucas would chance it and say screw it lets merge some of our other lucas arts intellectual property and tie it all in. (see what I did there!)
    I hope they will continue where they left off instead of starting a new story to follow in the works of a prequel.
    Just this firstones humble opinion.

Yeah, I know, really. It totally ends with OMGWTF IT'S LUKE!!!!! And now they're planning on making some pointless Han Solo movie? What's it going to be? Episode 3 1/5?
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    That's the plan. A Star Wars movie every year, alternating between the "saga" (Episode #) and "Anthology" films that take place in the Star Wars universe, but aren't part of the main storyline. So in 2015 we got Episode VII, and in 2016 we're getting "Rogue One," which is set just before "A New Hope," then 2017 is Episode VIII, and I guess 2018 is the Han Solo movie. 2019 is obviously the epic conclusion to the new trilogy in Episode XI, but I don't think they've confirmed what 2020's movie is going to be. The rumors are stories about Boba Fett, Yoda, or (and this last one I think is more fan speculation than rumor) Obi-Wan on Tatooine.
    I don't think they'll hold to that formula for long if Rogue One does well. I think they'll then ratchet it up to 2 movies a year :(