Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Rogue One

WORFWORF The Burninator
Now that is how you make a Star Wars movie.

Comments

• So I'm assuming this is a spoiler thread.

I really enjoyed the hell out of it. There were some cinematic cliches that are not found in the episodic Star Wars, but we knew that going in.

The last act was amazing.

And honestly, that Vader scene in the corridor made the whole fucking movie. Holy shit balls that was amazing. Regardless of the rest of the film, that is one of Star Wars' greatest scenes in the entire franchise.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    It was certainly my kind of fan service. I'd be spoiled on a couple of the "cameos," but the obscurer ones delighted me even more than the big-tickets.

I agree about that corridor scene. The first Vader scene kind of disappointed me a little (his suit looked weirdly cheap and ill-fitting. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be an even rougher precursor to the ANH version or his just-lounging-around-the-castle suit or what), and he closed with a lame prequel-style pun. But that last scene was the first time Darth Vader actually scared me, and he scared the [i]crap[/i] out of me.

I'm going to have to set this up as a double-feature with ANH sometime.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I watched A New Hope when I got home. Definitely felt like it added a lot (and to the rest of the trilogy that I've since rewatched) to the story as we got to see more of the Rebellion and the struggles they face.
  • Yeah the pun was fitting of Anakin from the Clone Wars rather than the films. I liked it, honestly.

The Red and Gold leader cameos were a really nice subtle touch!
  • Generally, if you guys like it it must be REALLY good, so I can't wait.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    We just saw it. I am quite pleased with the whole thing. The first half was slower, but I don't think that is a bad thing because we need to develop a relationship with the characters.

I agree about Vader looking cheap in the castle scene. The helmet seemed oversized and too plasticy. I think part of it could be attributed to our modern HD movies that make such issues pop.

The intro to ANH made Vader intimidating, but the final scene made him terrifying.
  • CanavandriveCanavandrive Registered User
    I liked it, it was hyperactive toward the half. For an ADD kid like me I loved that about it. Deserves a second watch to catch all the nuances from a second watch. I digged the actor who played the "director" guess they never filled the position after he...he...well lets not spoil it for everyone. Grand Moff Tarkin aged well, "You may fire when ready!" The darth vader cameo was alright but to be honest he didn't sound like darth vader...he sounded like James Earl Jones! lol
  • I thought it was great. I liked Episode 7, but as time's gone on I've come to agree with the criticisms of it being practically a remake of the first movie, so that's something I loved about this one, that I genuinely had no idea how things would go. I really felt like anything could happen, no character was safe. It also did a great job showing the desperation of the Rebellion, and I loved that they actually showed them doing bad things, instead of being the shining heroes. I absolutely will have to buy this when it comes out.
    Worf! You liked it! I wasn't sure if you were just going to boycott the Disney movies or not. I do feel sorry for you fans of the old EU, now that it's gone. I guess Dash Rendar didn't get the Death Star plans anymore for example! Um, at least, I seem to remember that happening in Shadows of the Empire.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    edited December 2016
    I also agree about Darth Vader's suit. It just didn't look right. Was it intentional?
    Also, I forgot to mention this, but something I loved about the movie is that it actually took the war seriously. One problem I really had with Episode 7 (and lots of movies really) is that everyone was just joking around too much, so it never felt desperate. When everyone seems relaxed and yuk yuk yukking, you don't really feel like it's real, like it all really is just fiction. In this movie, it felt like people were actually risking their lives and fighting for something greater. Also, rewatching B5's first season for example, I really like how Sinclair talks about his traumatic memories of the Battle of the Line.
    So apparently Grand Moff Tarkin was CGI wow they totally fooled me...I thought they just put some makeup on the guy a little extra eye shadow and called it a role. http://www.slashfilm.com/grand-moff-tarkin-in-rogue-one/

Just goes to show how far the details have come with the power from all the software and hardware have really come.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    edited December 2016
    A friend of mine told me about how he was in it, and we could tell it was CGI. I could also tell with... Um, another character that shows up at the end. Should I not spoil this? It's really good, but there are certain things that still give it away, like how the light doesn't quite go on them perfectly, and some ways that their face moves. I thought the voice actors for those two characters were great as well. They sounded just like them.
    I know who you're talking about for me the nose was a dead give away it was just too ball shaped.
  • I think that the vader suit thing was because of new camera technology. They used the classic suit on a hi-res camera, meaning that we saw all the flaws that the 70's and 80's era cameras hid.

Agreed, the CGI characters were noticeable, but not distracting. In terms of effects, props to skywalker sound as well.
  • Mr_BesterMr_Bester Earthforce Officer St Louis MO
    The CGI characters were noticeable AND distracting for me, but I enjoyed it overall. Hopefully, it won't be as bad on my second rewatch.
  • saw it in both standard and 3D.
    I kept hearing in 3D the CGI characters were better, and by golly were they ever. You could barely notice that it wasn't them in 3D. In 2D, I found them quite distracting and bad. Felt like I was watching Final Fantasy the Spirits Within again...
  • AnlaShokAnlaShok Democrat From Hell
    Hey, I remembered my password! I think the Vader scene in the corridor was the best minute of film ever recorded, but I may be biased....
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I'm a bit late to the game, but I didn't have a problem with 3D Tarkin or 3D Leia. I'm watching a movie about Space Wizards and the criminals who want them deaded, it's fine.

I felt less good about the cartoonish characterization of our heroes, or their unnatural and unrealistic decisions, and its "Just tell, never show" approach to storytelling and plot advancement. Its lead had no agency, and that was boring.