Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

about b5mg.....

EternityEternity Elite Ranger
I get directed to [i]Beyond Babylon[/i].

Is this going to replace the [i]Babylon 5 Moddler's Guild[/i]?

Comments

• PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    At this point nobody yet knows what is going to happen for that place. Just wait and see.

- PJH
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    About damn time something was done with that place.

------------------
    [url="http://www.mdstudios.f2s.com/index.html"]Material Defender Studios[/url]
    [i]Fan Artwork[/i]
    [i]3dsmax tutorials ONLINE! More to come soon![/i]

[b]PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN![/b]
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Never ceases to amaze me...

The guy's just got out of a year long vocational course in Florida, is struggling to support his wife and family in Southern California, and everybody wants him to drop everything and go to Philadelphia and play web man for zero $$$ in support on his own server.

I think he should just leave the thing down, and forget it, for all the ungrateful reactions he has received over the last few years.

People really f***ing amaze me...
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Send them all here instead and give the guy a break.

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • EternityEternity Elite Ranger
    Just wondering! I liked the site!
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    Don't worry. I think there is something cool coming soon.

- PJH
    Wasn't refering to you Eternity...

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]

Just that it's not a commercial server with support from anyone...

The guy is(was) doing it solo...
  • RambieRambie Earthforce Officer
    I loved B5MG.com, it turned into "Beyond Babylon" a while ago but the url didn't change until recently.

I hope he can bring it back, it was a great sight, like Firstones, and deserves community support.

------------------
    Rambie
    [url="http://www.xmission.com/~rstulce/SE4-Index.htm"]www.xmission.com/~rstulce/SE4-Index.htm[/url]
    Jack, its not about him being so busy. Its not like he couldn't take five minutes to inform someone like Kier or Fabio to take over for him while he got things in order IRL.

------------------
    [url="http://www.mdstudios.f2s.com/index.html"]Material Defender Studios[/url]
    [i]Fan Artwork[/i]
    [i]3dsmax tutorials ONLINE! More to come soon![/i]

I'm sorry if I sound so harsh, but I'm a bit offended on his behalf over the comment that it's about time someone did something with that site.

The situation the server is in at the moment actually requires a physical body at the console. IE paid ISP tech time, since he can't be there in person.

The first time the server got hit with Nimda, he had to shell out $300 for someone at the ISP to clean it, install the security patches, etc. and damned if not 3 days later it got hit with a new strain of Nimda all over again. I know that wasn't easy for him to begin with, and to have to spend yet more?

It's one of those Wife and family vs. a hobby server type of situation.

I'm also not sure about the competance level(good or bad) of the tech who supposedly did the work either.

Really though, my point is, that many people seem to expect more than they get from the free service he provided, only because it became so popular.

Hey I miss it too, badly, but I also give him credit for putting up with all the stuff for as long as he has, when there are way more important things in his life.

I don't feel bad for defending him either...

Web hosting as it is is an expensive proposition, and co-locating your own server is even more costly.

Even though he has(d) a special arrangement with the ISP he co-founded, it still costs $$ for the IP address lease, the domain name, and tech time to get it back up and running.

How many people donated cash to keep it going? I know I did... $100 back when I could afford it, because I appreciated his generousity and willingness to provide the place and service.

anyhow, I didn't intend to make a long discussion, or get into an arguement with anyone, it just set me off that's all...
    Look, I didn't intend for my initial reply to this thread to sound the way it did and it looks like you took it the wrong way. (which I can really see where you're coming from) I was just happy that something was actually done to the place. It had been down for so long that I had already given up on it.

------------------