Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Save B5:ITF promotional MPEG movie

Picture this....

Black

In fades a beautiful starscape, with the lower half of the screen the gently curved horizon of a glowing blue-green jewel of a planet.

The camera slowly pans upwards to get an undersides view of two spacecraft in orbit of the planet, filling half the screen. One is an EA omega, the other is an EA shuttle.

Cut to a closer scene, with the EA shuttle in the foreground, bearing the large ensignia "firstones.com", the centre section of the Omega rotates majesticly behind the shuttle, and the Omega ensignia is visible as "Sierra".

The camera cuts to a close up front view of the Omega's launch bay, as lights flash, indicating an impending launch. Moments later, a single Starfury emerges from the red light of the docking bay into the full sunlight. The camera zooms in, and gives chase to the star fury, looking down on it from behind. The wing art is clearly visible. On the left wing "B5", on the right "ITF".

Wide shot from behind. With the sun flaring against the three ships in convoy, they head for a jump gate, heading out into the unknown.

---- scene change ----

On the other side, the jumpgate activates, and the Star fury and Shuttle exit hyperspace. The Omega is a bit further behind. The low camera angle and wide angle lense make the sudden appearance of the Omega from the jumpgate seem omonous and scary. Forboding music plays, as the Omega closes on the two helpless craft.

Suddenly the Omega's hull becomes dark and mottled. Long sharp spines grow from the hull, and the ship screams a high-pitched, long scream as if it is in pain. A bright red beam eminates from the shadow Omega as the Sierra logo glows a blood red.

The beam passes over the Star fury, slicing two of the wings off, and causing the 'fury to tumble on the spot in space. The Shuttle turns and moves to the 'fury, seemingly wanting to help the stricken craft.

The shadow Omega turns as if to leave, but the jump gate suddenly opens, as a new ship appears. The Hyperion-class EA Codemasters approaches the three craft, and pulls up into formation with the others.

A tractor beam comes from the hyperion, attempting to retrieve the stricken starfury. But the shadow Omega locks it's own, stronger tractor beam onto the Hyperion!

The Hyperion shakes and shudders and its lock on the starfury falters. All the while the Shuttle floats near the 'fury. Soon the powerful beam becomes too much for the Hyperion, as pieces of the ship detach, and spin off into space. Discontinuing it's tractor beam lock on the 'fury, the Hyperion turns for the Jump Gate.

The shadow Omega stops its own beam, and lets the now badly damaged Hyperion leave. Moments later the shadow Omega thunders past the camera, Sierra logo still glowing, as it makes it's own jump point and exits, leaving the two remaining craft for dead.

The camera returns to a close shot of the two craft, the fury in pieces and leaking oxygen, spining slowly in space, and the shuttle floating neaby, as if it is a mother looking after its wounded young.

Fade

---- scene change ----

Shilouetted against a bright nebula, all seems lost for the two small ships, when suddenly a jump point opens up! Out of the swirling orange cone comes the gigantic shape of a Warlock class ship, the EA [company name - whoever we are targeting, perhaps Microsoft?].

The Warlock approaches the tiny ships, dwarfing them completely, as we can only see the bow of the huge ship. Four tractor beams lock onto the star fury, and its still spining pieces, and draws them into the docking bay. The shuttle follows eagerly behind them.

The warlock turns, makes a jump point, and leaves as spectacularly as it arrived.

---- scene change ----

Back at the planet, the view is over the half lit globe with the jump gate in the foreground, and the bright sun beyond it.

The jump gate activates, and three ships emerge in formation, the Star fury in the lead, followed closely by the shuttle, and then the gigantic Warlock.

The camera pans to follow them, as they decend to the planet, amid fireworks.

Fade out.

Fade in :
Faith Manages
Fade out

Fade in :
Babylon 5
Into the Fire
Fade out

Fade in :
Never underestimate the power of one individual to change the universe.

Help bring back B5: ITF
[url="http://www.firstones.com"]www.firstones.com[/url]
Fade to black

END

We could make this 3d animation into an mpeg and a real video file (for slower connections), and put it on a "Save B5:ITF" campaign site. Publicise the movie by posting cool screenshots to all the games sites and message boards, even magazines - maybe some magazines would include the movie on their cover cd's?

I think the folks over at b5mg.com would be more than happy to help out with this - 3D is their specialty after all.

I think it would have quite an impact [img]http://www.firstones.com/forums/smile.gif[/img] Don't you? hehehe

Neil

Comments

• I like it!

------------------
    -Sir, the Plingons are answering.
    -Good, put it on tv.
    beep...
    -Damn how ugly they look!
    -Captain, I would recommend a more diplomatic tone.
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    Great idea!
    I wonder how much it would cost to get this ad on TV...
  • GrondGrond Earthforce Officer
    it might do some good

---------------
    Captain Grond
    Pokémon Mercenary Fleet
    CO of Sun Squad
    CO of the destroyer "Apophis"
    -Onix-

"Long had it been forging in the dark smithies of Mordor, ...on it spells of ruin lay. Grond they named it, in memory of the Hammer of the Underworld of old"
    -LotR V
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Any modellers want to try and pull this off?

------------------
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

"Nonono. Is not Great Machine. Is...Not-So-Great Machine. It make good snow-cone though." - Zathras
  • SolitaireSolitaire Moderator
    I think the boys over at Spacebattles are a good choice - their works are very good and I think they're active here.
    The B5 Modellers Guild is another(?) group and this guy who runs B5 Animations is also a very talented modeller.
    I think the reactions will be positive if we ask them.

------------------
    Just another lousy wannabe
    Starfury-Pilot...
  • WombatControlWombatControl Earthforce Officer
    Well, I can do a few shots for you if you'd like... I can't do the whole animation, but I'm sure that there are other B5MG members who would like to work on this...

------------------
    Faith Manages
  • FubarFubar Ranger
    VERY GOOD IDEA!

Change the EA Microsoft (or whatever company)
    to a logo which says . Or something like that, i beleive would have more of an impact.
  • ForallForall Earthforce Officer
    Speaking as a person who does some lightwave work, there are three major hard parts about this sequence.

1: Morph from Omega to Shadow Omega
    2: Tractor Warfare Sequence and the breaking peices of the Hyperion
    3: Getting that Warlock for Max converted to LW

After that, this entire thing could be done in about 3 or 4 weeks max.

PS: May I make a small rewrite and see how you like it?
    Transport Warfare Sequence:
    Instead, the Hyperion comes out, trys to pull in the Star Fury but the Omega opens fire on the poor ship, damaging it's weapons and the hanger, the Hyperion jumps out leaving the omega standing over the Starfury. Then it leaves and the Starfury and shuttle are left for dead. More action that would bring in some ship-ship combat into the mpeg, though it would take longer.

PSS: Good idea about using a Warlock, that ship is so cool and very interconected with this game!

------------------
  • I agree with you that actual weapons fire/combat would make it more exciting, but I was trying to be very symbolic with the whole thing. The omega getting a tractor lock on the hyperion was symbolic of Sierra demanding too much from Codemasters. If you have the omega firing on the hyperion, then it implies that Sierra actively tried to stop Codemasters from buying the code. In fact they acked to much of them, that it shook them apart, and they lost parts of themselves (perhaps as a little in-joke, one of the fragments of the hyperion could have the letters "KC" on them? hehe).

I chose the warlock for a couple of reasons - first it's relatively new and exciting, and has a positive feel about it, second it only appeared in the show for a total of a few seconds (last ep of Crusade) so it's kind of an unknown, a "dark horse", and finnally, since we're thinking microsoft, what other ship would you choose to portray the software juggernaut?

But I do agree, if we can work some weapons fire in, then it would be more exciting.

I think this would make a great colaborative project, so if we can get several people coordinated to work on it, it would be better than one individual trying to do it all.

Thanks for your positive response to the idea, keep the ideas rolling in, and the flame burning!

Neil
  • Okay, I'm a little late in joining this conversation, but I have to say to gravitoncity: WOW.

------------------
    "I am become Grey. I stand between the darkness and the light, ... between the candle and the star."
    -- Delenn in Babylon 5:"In the Beginning"
  • hehehe thanks I Am Become Gray [img]http://www.firstones.com/forums/smile.gif[/img]

The thought of seeing that little movie played out on my screen makes me excited too. The idea that it might be played out on throusands of screens around the world, and help get support for our cause makes me even more excited [img]http://www.firstones.com/forums/smile.gif[/img]

Neil
  • You know, this actually would work.
    I am a Special Effects Technician by trade, and in the industry you can't get anywhere without a demo reel.
    Actually hitting companies with a fan made MPEG would blow the minds of the Execs, most of which have never seen B5.
    If you can somehow get a PC GAME mag to place the MPEG on a cdrom (pretend the licencing issue isn't there for now I am just brainstorming), then, we the fans could distribute them by marching right into their offices and playing it (we would really have to co-ordinate this)...

Getting portal sites to host it for download would also attract big attention.
  • I like that idea for a movie. I think the people over a spacebattles would do a great job.
  • Y'know - I might have a bash at this myself [img]http://www.firstones.com/forums/smile.gif[/img] I mean my 3d skills are okay, and I know I'd have pleanty of help. And I need something for my folio, and what would be better? hehehe

I'm pretty busy, but I'll try and do a little each day [img]http://www.firstones.com/forums/smile.gif[/img]

Neil
  • you need Nadab Göksu of eon 3d on this.
    he is the best, and a member.
  • nadQui is his username, I think.
  • FlashfireFlashfire Earthforce Officer
    Consider this started... I have the original post saved locally and will begin drawing up some storyboards.

Any others who wish to jump on the bandwagon can email me and we'll co-orinate the tasks at hand: flashfire@b5mg.com

Cheers!

------------------
    Joe
    [b]Columnist - Beyond Babylon[/b]
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    This is the best idea! This must be done. It IS the only way. I mean, if you get it done. There will be lot's of companies who are willing to get the game, you see. How many games would get this much attention? (Daikatana perhaps...=))
  • cool [img]http://www.firstones.com/forums/biggrin.gif[/img]
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    This maybe what we need alright. But the trailer clips from the old Sierra site were very impressive too. I've shown them to some friends of mine and they were very impressed by what they saw. I think Randy and the other developers if they had the time should mock up a slick movie sequence and send it to prospective publishers. Lots of explosive action should capture the minds of the chief execs!!!
  • Sound.....

You guys will need sound. I know you'll find people to do that, but I just wanted to remind you. [img]http://www.firstones.com/forums/smile.gif[/img]
  • SolitaireSolitaire Moderator
    So let's get started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    Just another lousy wannabe
    Starfury-Pilot...
  • Music in the reel why wont we Email to Fanke and ask can we use his music in the MPEG movie that would get the movie would be much much better AND I LOVE THE IDEA !!!!!!!!!

------------------
    I'll be back!
  • Music in the reel why wont we Email to Fanke and ask can we use his music in the MPEG movie that would get the movie would be much much better AND I LOVE THE IDEA !!!!!!!!!

------------------
    I'll be back!
  • Music in the reel why wont we Email to Franke and ask can we use his music in the MPEG movie that would get the movie would be much much better AND I LOVE THE IDEA !!!!!!!!!

------------------
    I'll be back!
  • can we use Frankes music ??????????????

------------------
    I'll be back!
  • Can we use Frankes music ??????????????

------------------
    I'll be back!
  • CAN WE USE FRANKES MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    I'll be back!
  • Can we use Frankes music!!!!!!!

------------------
    I'll be back!
  • How about Mr. Frankes MUSIC!!!!

------------------
    I'll be back!