Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Randy's Indepenedent company Idea

in response to my earlier post about costing the project, Randy estimated a bill of approximately 2.5 million to do the game. I was expecting a much higher figure to emerge...

The idea of a company set up around the game is something I find very appealing and would be very interested in seeing. Shares could be offered in the company as a way of creating initial capital. Sponsorship and advertising deals could be got from a whole host of companies.

A very high class and high profile web site would need to be developed and maintained as the nerve center for the game. FirstOnes have the hardware and getting a quality site together is something that could be done gratis. I work for a major multi national as a senior Web Developer and have a list of graphic designers, programmers, coders, hackers, editorial and production people the length of your arm. Getting a world class site out for free isn't a problem. (one less cost to worry about :-))

Remember the Blair witch project? Look at the money it made through using the Net to generate interest. There are enough fans of the game who are "tuned in" on marketing and advertising and who are - I am sure - willing to pitch in and make it happen.

"The game the fans wouldnt let die" ... What a superb headline!!

I believe the time is right for a bold and imaginative initiative. you got AOL/Time Warner trying to blaze a trail. You got Microsoft trying to be everyines friend. you got the whole world trying to make it big on the net. There is so much investment potential around at the moment that it would make a sound business venture like saving the game through an independent franchise, such an attractive proposition.

It would be interesting to do a survey of just how many people really would buy shares in the company and at what share price.

Enough on this stream from me for now. I am interested tosee what other people think.

the thing is this. It needs to be done very, very soon.

------------------
Babylon6 in orbit @
http://www.nomad-jedi.com

Comments

• RandyRandy Master Storyteller
    Noted and passed along. Thank you! [img]http://www.firstones.com/forums/biggrin.gif[/img]
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I would certainly be very keen to go along with it.

------------------
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

"Nonono. Is not Great Machine. Is...Not-So-Great Machine. It make good snow-cone though." - Zathras
  • RemmyRemmy Earthforce Officer
    I think everyone would be interested in joining... We shall win this one...

The Remster

------------------
    "I have always been here" -Kosh

"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place .. and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born." -Delen
  • Yeah, I think everyone who is able to buy will buy the shares.

------------------
    "Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war."

"I died on Z`Ha`Dum and all I will get is this lousy B5 game."
  • SolitaireSolitaire Moderator
    Yep, I agree!

This "FirstOnes"- company should have it's home in the US (it's easier most members here are from there).
    I think it would be more efficient to use small shares so members with little money wouldn't be seclouded.
    One problem - Who at the stock markets cares for our small project? - It is too limited!

------------------
    Just another lousy wannabe
    Starfury-Pilot...
  • i am not interested in owning stock, but i would put in $100+ if i knew everyone else was giving it their all.
  • TokalaTokala Earthforce Officer
    Count me in

Tok

------------------
    tokala@qisfl.net
    Security Chief, EAS Patriot
    American Fleet
  • AwlrichAwlrich Earthforce Officer
    I think this is a great idea, primerily because if 'we' are in control, then we know that the game won't have any more setbacks...

even though i live in the uk, i would buy shares, as would at least one of my friends, as many as we can afford, i might even be able to talk my parents into investing, as well as some of their friends, as a few of them play the stockmarket anyway...

Awl

------------------
    Capt. Awlrich: Squadron Leader 7.star squadron UK
    -------------
    [url="http://www.seven-point-star.co.uk/"]http://www.seven-point-star.co.uk/[/url]
  • When I used to go to science fiction cons more often, I remember there would be competition between various clubs to see who would get to hold future Worldcons. These groups would need funding for advertising, to throw parties at cons, etc. (vote-buying). What they would do would be to sell pre-membership to their cons. The incentive was that if they won, you already had your membership at a significant discount, but you were paying way ahead of time, and you knew that if you paid for pre-membership for Boston 2002 and New York won, you paid for a ticket to a convention that wasn't going to happen.
    Maybe something along these lines would be worth looking into. Instead of owning shares in a company which would be publishing B5:ITF, maybe the incentive to kick in money now would be that a) you were helping to get the game produced; and b) when it came out, you'd already paid for a copy of it, and maybe as a pre-supporting owner you'd get some additional little benefit, like getting a limited-edition autographed copy of the game CD or something.
    I'd personally fork over some bucks just to see it made if that's what it took, in the same way that you donate to PBS just to keep it on the air, the whole "viewer-supported" thing. To get something in return would be even better, but the idea of selling shares might raise some legal issues or just generally be more of a pain in the butt than it's worth. I would guess that out of all the people who'd be interested in supporting the game's development, it's a small percentage who'd actually be thinking about trying to make a profit off of it. The rest just want the game to be made, while hopefully getting something for their money in return. It might be easier just to define it in terms of pledge premiums as opposed to shares of a company.
  • Babylon6Babylon6 Earthforce Officer
    I agree in spirit with the concept of pl;edg bonds. Reason I said shares is because I am skeptical if loyalty donations will yield a large enuff financial base. I would happily donate money for the return value of mere satisfaction at seeing the game on the shelves. Shares however are possibly more realistic as raw currency is what is required.If it can be done without shares and all the associated crap that comes with it then brilliant!! That would be mega cool.
  • epakkoepakko Trainee
    How about if we would just buy the game and give it away free to some company? They would just have to promise that they would finish the game.
  • epakkoepakko Trainee
    How about if we would just buy the game and give it away free to some company? They would just have to promise that they would finish the game.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    Maybe we could ask JMS to pitch in a few.....

------------------
    Captain Tyco
    EAS Patton
    SF-74 Black Death
    [url="http://theproject.firstones.com/squads/b5america/index.html"]American Squadron[/url]
    [b]We may suck, but suck a lot less than everyone else.[/b]
    "In the War of Survival, There are no bystanders, If you dont fight for me you will be crushed!"
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I think the shares option is a great idea Babylon6. There should be the option to buy shares and to give pledges aswell which should increase the chances of revenue. And if there were shares out there to buy, I'd get some. I would be able to aford much but every little helps.

How about getting onto Netter Digital and JMS about this? It would be cool to get JMS to be part of it. If we put up aload of cash and JMS sides with us aswell, then we could all own the rights to the game including JMS himself. Would that work I wonder??

------------------
    'The future is all around us' G'kar

Visit my B5 site at: [url="http://babylon5.acmecity.com/alliance/110"]http://babylon5.acmecity.com/alliance/110[/url]
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Not sure if JMS would go for actually owning a part himself, but he would certainly support us.

------------------
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

"Nonono. Is not Great Machine. Is...Not-So-Great Machine. It make good snow-cone though." - Zathras
  • It's an old idea and we still have hope though. No offense but I (like Garibaldi) am very suspicious. I don't like just buyin stock for something that might not happen for a company i never heard of. I would give money and maybe buy stock if i knew I could absolutely trust this company. Codemasters didn't turn out that well (just like sierra). I do however support us getting the news out continually. I know it's an old idea also but if we get the publicity that game will get finished. We just gotta get a break somewhere that will get the news out. Money for an ad somewhere publicised like yahoo would get the word out. "The Game That won't die" would get a lot of gamers and publishers turned in our direction. As long as we stay open we have options. I just hope that we don't blow it like with codemasters. We should have been sending e-mails to other comapnies the most then. Now were starting over. To make a better future........

--------------------------------
    Life is a suicide mission
  • Babylon6Babylon6 Earthforce Officer
    If JMS was involved in some capacity it would be very useful. His indorsement would hopefully help to prick the interest of the wider B5 community.

Publicity is a big factor in such a venture and JMS would help generate it.

Fiona Avery of the B5 magazine would also be someone to have involved. More publicity. An interview with Randy and Marc and Dan and Jeff in the magazine would be a real coup as well as a great morale booster.

Netter digital have got money and technology and kudos so yes, they are worth involving.

In case I am not getting my point across - PUBLICITY IS KING. We need a splash like the second coming...
    I never said anything about "shares". I was talking about a "limited partnership" - which is a very much different thing.

I'm not sure about what kind of legal vehicle could be used as a way to both utilize your kind offers and also protect you so that, either your money would be returned if things don’t work out, or you would be fully aware that you could very well lose anything you offer without ever seeing the game.

Until we have legal council there's nothing that can take place. Drazi Guy and another fellow (who can make himself known if he wants to - but I'm not going to do it) are trying to put something together. For right now, everyone else just needs to sit tight. And I know that's difficult. I'm continuing to take note of your ideas.
  • MTMT Ranger
    NO, I don't think you should even consider a partnership of any kind. There is a huge problem with partnerships and sole proprietorships. What is that problem? UNLIMITED LIABILITY. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, that means if everything fails (and partnerships have a higher tendency of failing than then the other forms of business), you risk losing EVERYTHING, like your car.

A corporation would probably be the best way to go. Why, because it would be easier to raise money, and LIMITED liability (you can only lose what you put into the company). And sure, pledges are good, but the chance to make a profit is more attractive. This is a capitalist country (with some government regulation), after all.

Partnership
    Best case scenario: Success and a few people get all the profits.
    Worst case scenario: Things go bad and the bank takes the owners' homes.

Corporation
    Best case scenario: Success and a lot of people split the profits.
    Worst case scenario: Things go bad and you lose all the money you invested.

------------------
    "Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope... The death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender." -G'Kar, Z'ha'Dum

"I WILL extol thee, my God, O king; and I will bless thy name for ever and ever."
    Psalms 145:1
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I agree with Randy. The pertnership idea is good as well as the stock options, but I think that move should only be considered once something solid has been established. Everything is too fluid at the moment. We know nothing of whats going on in the background, and its esp frustrating for me being stuck here in the Uk on the other side of the atlantic with everything happening in the states.

Back on the topic of Netter Digital... have DraziGuy got in touch with them?? when I bought JMS's Offical Guide to Babylon 5 2 years ago, the inside sleve of the cd cover said that Netter Digitial would be releasing a Space Sim. Since Sierra took over the reigns, would Netter be interested in getting back on board. Netter are doing some really cool projects at the moment and are gaining alot of respect in the graphics industry. What better way to get this saddle on the horse than to get Netter on our side. At least they know what they're dealing with....

------------------
    'The future is all around us' G'kar

Visit my B5 site at: [url="http://babylon5.acmecity.com/alliance/110"]http://babylon5.acmecity.com/alliance/110[/url]
  • milodmilod Ranger
    Randy is talking about a "Limited Liability Partnership" or LLP, not a simple partnership. You are correct in saying that a corporation provides more liability protection, but there are other issues to consider. This page has a good overview of the differences [url="http://www.dtonline.com/ba/entities.htm"]click here.[/url]

------------------
    --milo
    [url="http://members.home.net/milod"]http://members.home.net/milod[/url]
  • MTMT Ranger
    Oh, I thought by limited partnership he meant that in the partnership agreement, one guy would have a lot more power, an the influence of the other guy would be very limited.

A corporation still seems a little better. Sure, double taxation, but it will be of easily (compared to everything else) earned money.

------------------
    "Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope... The death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender." -G'Kar, Z'ha'Dum

"I WILL extol thee, my God, O king; and I will bless thy name for ever and ever."
    Psalms 145:1
    Very basically, the Limited Partners invest money, do not have any control over the company, but can only lose the amount that they invest. They are not responsible for any losses beyond their investment.

General Partners are responsible for the day-to-day running of the business. If there are loses beyond the initial investment they are responsible.

But, the Limited Partnership company can, I think, also be a corporation. In this case the General Partners are somewhat shielded from losses that go beyond the initial investment, unless in the case of misrepresentation or outright fraud. In this case the corporate shield does not hold.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't have an MBA. So my understanding is limited. But I have been involved in setting up Limited Partnerships on two occasions.

[This message has been edited by Randy (edited 03-20-2000).]