Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Attack of the Clones......Spoiler Alert

Man what a great movie!!!

The "Love" parts between Anakin and Padme' was pretty cheezy but it served the purpose of setting up what happens....

The CGI is excellent, can't wait for the DVD to see it for real. The battle scenes at the end were awesome, blew me away!!!!

And when Yoda broke out the whoopass against Count Dooku, THAT WAS SWEEEET!!!!

No spoilers here but, figured I'd place the warning here for future posters....hehe

Comments

• RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    Yeah [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]
    I totally agree..
    though some people think the Yoda-dokuu fight was a bit cheesy too... and that GL overdid it with that..
    but i loved that fight... somehow yoda reminded me of a mosquito [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    Just got back from watching it...
    It was good, but I was a little disappointed, somehow. (maybe because I read the script and expected more)

I thought the Yoda-Dooku fight was very very cool. Don't mess with Yoda!

I also found the connection between Yoda - Dooku - Qui Gon - Obi Wan - Anakin to be rather interesting.

[This message has been edited by Arik (edited 05-16-2002).]
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Yoda + lightsaber = ****ing cool.
    Anakin + Amidala love scenes = painful, "make it stop".
    Battle sequences = pretty cool effects.
    Rest = OK.

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    "Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • Admiral AndyAdmiral Andy Earthforce Officer
    Death Star.
  • [quote]Originally posted by Admiral Andy:
    [b]Death Star. [/b][/quote]

Took em long enough to build it.....hehe
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I love how everything is finally coming full circle.

I had to laugh at the simplistic graphics for the Death Star in that hand held holographic image. A nice way to make the smooth transition to A New Hope when R2 downloads the Death Star data to the view screen they used in the 70's! heh heh!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [quote]Originally posted by ZocaloHobo:
    [b]
    Took em long enough to build it.....hehe[/b][/quote]

~30 sounds about right, if you ask me. It's a pretty big piece of equipment.

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    "Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • [quote]Originally posted by Biggles:
    [b]
    ~30 sounds about right, if you ask me. It's a pretty big piece of equipment.

[/b][/quote]

What about the one in Return of the Jedi?
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    [quote]Originally posted by ZocaloHobo:
    [b] What about the one in Return of the Jedi?[/b][/quote]

They cloned it?

My guess is, it took 20 years to build the first because they ran into all kinds of problems and had to find out solutions to them...also there could have been delays in Darth Sidious' plans.

The Second Death Star wouldn't have taken so long because they know how everything works, and since the first Death Star nearly bankrupted the Empire, they probably found ways to cut corners to decrease the cost and build time.

Worf

------------------
    Captain Gideon: I thought you said you dont hold a grudge?
    Galen: I dont, I have no surviving enemies...at all

Ave Primo-Populi (Hail the Firstones)
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    A couple of things I really liked that weren't necessarily very big things:

SPOILERS

1 - Obi Wan (to Anakin): "Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me?"

2 - The Deathstar hologram that Jack mentioned

3 - We finally see C-3PO sit down.

4 - The inclusion of Owen and Beru Lars was a nice touch.

5 - The recreation of Owen and Beru's home was really well done.

6 - On Coruscant, there was a brief shot of a holographic billboard advertising the Mos Eisley Cantina Band from Episode IV.

7 - We get to see R-2 climb stairs.

8 - We see some of Yoda's sense of humor.

9 - I think Mace Windu was channeling Shaft in the battle on Genosia ("This party is over)"

[This message has been edited by samuelk (edited 05-19-2002).]
  • "You don't want to sell me death sticks. You want to go home and rethink your life."

GREAT movie. More than repaid for Episode I. Every story has to start somewhere, and it's not going to start at full blast.

The love scenes were somewhat painful, but they would have been less so if Lucas had more time to tell his story. This way it seems like he's diving in too quickly. What IS painful is that she loves him despite homicidal tendancies, admiration of dictatorships, etc...

Loved the way they made Jar-Jar responsible for the downfall of intergalactic civilization!

Also loved the Yoda/Dooku fight, great CG...the whole theater broke out in a combination of clapping, cheering, and laughter. Esp. When the fight's over and he starts walking all hunched over his cane again.

What I don't get is

1. What's with Dooku's curved lightsaber? Maul's was one thing, but I see no point in this.
    2. Is Siduous really Palpetine or just a big huge coincidence that they have similar voices? (This would lend truth to Dooku's claim when trying to get Obi-Wan to join him. Just didn't mention that he was [i]working[/i] for that particular dark jedi...)
    3. Why didn't Yoda just force push Anakin and Obi-Wan out of the way of that huge thing instead of trying to lift it?
    4. Wasn't the order only for 1,000,000 clones? Sorry, but with the Death Star's compliment alone, and those relegated to each Star Destroyer, I [i]don't[/i] think that that's enough.
    5. Wouldn't the senators without their judgment clouded realize that a clone army couldn't be produced this quickly?
    6. Come on. Did they really make THAT much progress with prosthetics between this episode and ESB that Anakin couldn't have a natural-looking arm like Luke's?
    [quote]Originally posted by Vertigo_1:
    [b]
    What I don't get is

1. What's with Dooku's curved lightsaber? Maul's was one thing, but I see no point in this.
    2. Is Siduous really Palpetine or just a big huge coincidence that they have similar voices? (This would lend truth to Dooku's claim when trying to get Obi-Wan to join him. Just didn't mention that he was [i]working[/i] for that particular dark jedi...)
    3. Why didn't Yoda just force push Anakin and Obi-Wan out of the way of that huge thing instead of trying to lift it?
    4. Wasn't the order only for 1,000,000 clones? Sorry, but with the Death Star's compliment alone, and those relegated to each Star Destroyer, I [i]don't[/i] think that that's enough.
    5. Wouldn't the senators without their judgment clouded realize that a clone army couldn't be produced this quickly?
    6. Come on. Did they really make THAT much progress with prosthetics between this episode and ESB that Anakin couldn't have a natural-looking arm like Luke's?[/b][/quote]

1) Every Jedi (and i'd say that is also true for the Sith) builds his own lightsaber, fitted to his own needs and tastes.
    2) To tell you would be reveal a spoiler [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]
    3) could have hurt them..
    4) Stormtroopers are not clones...
    5)people tendto believe what ever is most comfortable to them... and the cloners know how to accelerate the growth...
    6) yeah.. thats a bit... odd
    [quote]The love scenes were somewhat painful, but they would have been less so if Lucas had more time to tell his story.[/quote]

Tell me what love scenes involving an immature 17-year old AREN'T painfully cheezy...

[quote]What I don't get is

1. What's with Dooku's curved lightsaber? Maul's was one thing, but I see no point in this.[/quote]

Why not? There has never been a rule stating how lightsabers should look. They're all different.

[quote]2. Is Siduous really Palpetine or just a big huge coincidence that they have similar voices? (This would lend truth to Dooku's claim when trying to get Obi-Wan to join him. Just didn't mention that he was [i]working[/i] for that particular dark jedi...)[/quote]

Yes, Sidious is really Palpatine. This was obvious since quite early in Episode I.

[quote]3. Why didn't Yoda just force push Anakin and Obi-Wan out of the way of that huge thing instead of trying to lift it?[/quote]

Because it's much safer to stop the giant column. If he had force-pushed them out of the way, the column might have hit the ground, bounced or rolled over on them anyway. He also didn't know what injuries they had, and probably didn't want to risk injuring them further. Plus, it's more damatic. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

[quote]6. Come on. Did they really make THAT much progress with prosthetics between this episode and ESB that Anakin couldn't have a natural-looking arm like Luke's?[/quote]

Remember that Luke was on a Medical Frigate when he got his new hand. Maybe the resources weren't available to provide Anakin with a realistic prosthetic at the time. Or maybe he didn't want one.

[This message has been edited by samuelk (edited 05-19-2002).]
  • JamboJambo Scriptkiddie
    RubberEagle -- Stormtroopers ARE clones, didnt you watch the movie?

Im sure the Empire would have order a lot more stormtroopers though.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by Arik:
    [b]
    I also found the connection between Yoda - Dooku - Qui Gon - Obi Wan - Anakin to be rather interesting.

[This message has been edited by Arik (edited 05-16-2002).][/b][/quote]

You forgot one thing, its Yoda<>Doku<>Qui-Gon<>Obiwan<>Anakin BUT, there's also Yoda<>Luke Starting the Cycle over again [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

The only things i really didn't like, were, #1 C-3PO's one liners and swapped head, Silly and not needed (funny tho)

And, WHY wouldnt Owen and Beru Recognize C-3PO when they bought him in EpIV, why wouldnt ObiWan Recognize R2D2 and C-3PO?

and Yoda with the light saber! KICK ASS, the entire audience cheered when he dropped his staff and kicked ass
  • AnlaShokAnlaShok Democrat From Hell
    A very enjoyable movie!

As for construction time of this Death Star, they did not have full control over the Republic's resources yet. The project had to be built in secrecy from not only the possible opposition, but from the government accountants as well. This is not an issue later for the second one.

Also, was the first Death Star really the first, or did they sensibly build a prototype to be certain it worked? They built such a prototype in the novels, but I don't consider those canon sources.

Hmmm, Palpatine and The Emperor are played by the same actor. Coincidence? Nope.

I love how Sidious is playing both sides against each other. It's interesting to see how it all is being played out.

Anakin's hand is quite likely not completed yet. It will probably have a synthetic skin put over it when it's fine tuned. Luke lost just the hand, Anakin lost damn near his whole arm! OUCH!

Notice the blue lightsaber that survived the duel? It's the one Obi-Wan uses in Ep IV. Another full circle.

And hey, I always knew the little guy had it in him somewhere!

------------------
    AnlaShok, Captain of the Gray Hand of Fate Squadron
    Sidhe-1
    Wielder of the Big Heavy Hammer of Obvious Truth
    "FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC!"
  • Admiral AndyAdmiral Andy Earthforce Officer
    Y'know I get really sick of the "Oh my, are Palpy and Sidious the same guy?" It's only been established that the Emperor and Palpy were the same person since Episode V. So naturally when you see Sidious and hear the Emperor's theme in the background you can only come to the logical conclusion.

As for the Death Stars, I don't think that the first one was actually being built until end of Episode III or later. The Republic would probably be more interested in updating their existing fleet to claim technological superiority over the separatists.

The second dreaded Death Star actually had quite a few differences then the first one, most notably the size (DS I: 120km in dia; DS II: 160km in dia), method of ventilation (DS I had a two-meter wide exhaust port, DS II had millimeter wide dispursement ducts), and the reactors are much different (compare DS I's reactor from Incredible Cross-Sections and DS II's reactor from RotJ).
    The completed Death Star we see in Ep IV is actually the second one to be built according to the timeline (albeit based upon the novels as mentioned above). The incomplete Death Star in Return of the Jedi was the third in the series.

In the novels, the prototype was to be refitted for use by the Remnant.

-----

Remember that the clones warriors were the forunners of the Storm Troopers. The Empire doesn't exist just yet. Wehn Palpatine takes control as emporer the storm troopers will likely be started from the remaining clone warriors.

Senetor Palpatine will get his new army at the cost of the Jedi and the Old Republic eventually. Talk about Irony! [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]

This is all very good. Reminds me of when JMS wrapped up the goodies in War Without End and a few other episodes... [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Something else I am enjoying here, which I have been vindicated for since Ep I came out, was the subtle indication in the acting concerning the Jedi. I was noticing the smugness of the Jedi, and was wondering how it would be shown that they had been sitting around getting too fat for too long...

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]
    I just really have to say that the battle scene towards the last 1/2 hour of the movie just really kicked ass!!!

I think it is on par with the battle scene in Return of the Jedi at the Death Star, and actually surpases it in many ways due to the atmospheric content of the surface warfare.

I also liked seeing the early versions of the Star Destroyers, and that they could work within at planets atmosphere...

Just too f**king cool IMHO!! [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]
  • AnlaShokAnlaShok Democrat From Hell
    Let us not forget the proto-AT-ATs! Those were pretty sharp as well!

I'll just say this: I never thought I'd be rooting for the white-armored troops in a Star Wars movie!

------------------
    AnlaShok, Captain of the Gray Hand of Fate Squadron
    Sidhe-1
    Wielder of the Big Heavy Hammer of Obvious Truth
    "FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC!"
    [quote]Originally posted by jambo_jimmy:
    [b]RubberEagle -- Stormtroopers ARE clones, didnt you watch the movie?

Im sure the Empire would have order a lot more stormtroopers though.[/b][/quote]

I did see the movie. 3 times.
    those were CLONE-Troopers. Didn't you see that they had other helmets than Stormtroopers? I'm sure you have seen the original trilogy, the stormtroopers had not all the same voices... and why is Kyle Katarn no Clone?
    [quote]And, WHY wouldnt Owen and Beru Recognize C-3PO when they bought him in EpIV, why wouldnt ObiWan Recognize R2D2 and C-3PO?[/quote]

Who said they didn't recognize them?

Owen probably remembered R2 and 3PO once Luke mentioned Kenobi's name. That's why he told Luke to take R2 to Anchorhead to have his memory erased.

And Obi-Wan probably recognized 3PO and R2 immediately. He just hid that fact from Luke.
    [quote]Originally posted by samuelk:
    [b] Who said they didn't recognize them?

Owen probably remembered R2 and 3PO once Luke mentioned Kenobi's name. That's why he told Luke to take R2 to Anchorhead to have his memory erased.

And Obi-Wan probably recognized 3PO and R2 immediately. He just hid that fact from Luke.

[/b][/quote]

yeah but that doesn't quite make sense with Owen, because he wanted luke to know as little as possible about his father, so why would he buy the droids in the first place, knowing who they were, Granted the droids themselves would HAVE to have had their memory erased at some point between Ep 3 and Ep 4

Obi-Wan, perhaps was just keeping that from luke, but again, why? since he was tellin luke just about everything else.
    [quote]yeah but that doesn't quite make sense with Owen, because he wanted luke to know as little as possible about his father, so why would he buy the droids in the first place, knowing who they were, Granted the droids themselves would HAVE to have had their memory erased at some point between Ep 3 and Ep 4[/quote]

Like I said, he probably DIDN'T recognize them at first. After all, there was a lot of stuff going on when 3PO and R2 were on Tatooine. I doubt they paid much attention to a couple of droids which are just as commonplace as someone's car.

And like you said, they probably had their memories erased anyway, so Owen probably wouldn't have thought twice about it.

[This message has been edited by samuelk (edited 05-20-2002).]
  • [quote]Originally posted by Admiral Andy:
    [b]Y'know I get really sick of the "Oh my, are Palpy and Sidious the same guy?" It's only been established that the Emperor and Palpy were the same person since Episode V. So naturally when you see Sidious and hear the Emperor's theme in the background you can only come to the logical conclusion.
    [/b][/quote]

Sheesh, I was already pretty sure, but I just wanted to be certain. I thought I remembered seeing a scene where they were in different places at the same time.
    [b] I doubt they paid much attention to a couple of droids which are just as commonplace as someone's car.
    (edited 05-20-2002).][/b][/quote]

Ok, But i'd recognize any of my cars if i bumped into them again, (in fact i have, one that we sold like 15 years ago).

I dunno, it just seems a little bit odd thats all.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [b] Who said they didn't recognize them?

[/b][/quote]

Thats possible. Its also been established that the designs for the two droids are quite common so they might have not recognized them immediately. After all, Owen and Beru are atleast in their mid to late 20's when we see them in EP2. They aren't even married yet.

------------------
    [url="http://www.3dap.com/hlp"][b]Hard Light Productions[/b][/url] - [i]Our last best hope for Freespace[/i]

"Isn't the universe a wonderful place? I wouldn't want to live anywhere else! Love to stay! Can't! Have to go. Kiss kiss, love love! Bye!" - G'Kar
  • Just saw it.. SW has returned to its pre-ep1 quality alright [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]

Damn but Yoda was cool. He'd have probably kicked Dooku's ass if his powers weren't needed elsewhere.. which reminds me. It seemed as though Yoda wasn't using his power very wisely. Sure suspending the falling pillar looks dramatic, but basic physics says that'll expend alot of unnecessary energy. As any martial artist will tell you, you don't defend against a blow by tring to push it back, you deflect it sideways. Of course this [i]is[/i] the force here; it may not work the same as conventional physics.

As for the romance aspect, maybe I missed something but it doesn't seem clear to me how the Jedi feel about love. Do they view it as a distraction to the force? If so maybe it's no surprise they lost the galaxy to the dark side.

"Only those whose lives are brief can truly imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received." - Lorien

------------------
    There are 3 things in life I never forget: my friends, my enemies, and my access codes.
    Never put gasoline in a fire extinguisher.
    "No government, no dictator can hold an imprisioned population by force of arms forever. There is no power in the universe greater than the need for freedom. Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies [i]cannot stand[/i]." - G'Kar, [i]The Long Twighlight Struggle[/i]
    Then there's that Asteroid scene with Jango and Bobo Fett vs Obi Wan!

I just love the Jedi Fighter and it's long rang support ring! I gotta have one of those! [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]