Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Your Opinions on LOTR

StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
Well, I must say that this looks to be a VERY worthwhile and promising series. I especially liked the end where a bit of the B5 Season 5 music was played and the Babylon 5 station was shown.

The graphics were different than other seasons...and they seem a lot more realistic than other series.

Your thoughts?

------------------
Chase
Web Hosting Provider for FirstOnes.com
http://www.radiusco.com/

Comments

• Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by Striker:
    [b]Well, I must say that this looks to be a VERY worthwhile and promising series. I especially liked the end where a bit of the B5 Season 5 music was played and the Babylon 5 station was shown.

The graphics were different than other seasons...and they seem a lot more realistic than other series.

Your thoughts?

[/b][/quote]

I look at it a lot liek i look at The Gathering, Stiff acting, Good plot, needs time to flush out both the plot and the actors characters.

I liked it, i want more.

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    I am in a state of euphoria right now. This is the first time I have ever watched an episode of B5 that was not on reruns, and it is so great to have something fresh. I though the way that combat was done was cool, but looked pretty funny. (IMHO) God I hope they make this a new series.

------------------
    [i]"Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain."[/i] G'Kar, Season 3
    Please check out my Babylon 5 RPG/Stratagy game [url="http://rhett12.freeservers.com"]here[/url].
  • As per the combat looking funny...was the part with the weapons officer screaming and flailing drama or comedy?
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [quote]Originally posted by Vertigo_1:
    [b]As per the combat looking funny...was the part with the weapons officer screaming and flailing drama or comedy? [/b][/quote]

That was an odd scene. I ended up thinking it was a little of both drama and comedy.

Still, I do like the idea of a virtual reality weapons system. I'd love to have that kind of my power [i]literally[/i] at my fingertips.
    [quote]Originally posted by samuelk:
    [b]
    That was an odd scene. I ended up thinking it was a little of both drama and comedy.

Still, I do like the idea of a virtual reality weapons system. I'd love to have that kind of my power [i]literally[/i] at my fingertips.[/b][/quote]

I did like the idea of it, but like, why would a 20 year old ship have it, but not whitestars, unless they just decided that it was not worth the energy, so they designed it out of newer ships.

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    ...I don't know...maybe it was an add-on/upgrade?

The captain did say it was a "Ranger Attack Ship"...so I guess it has some special things in it.

------------------
    Chase
    Web Hosting Provider for FirstOnes.com
    http://www.radiusco.com/
    [quote]Originally posted by Striker:
    [b]...I don't know...maybe it was an add-on/upgrade?

The captain did say it was a "Ranger Attack Ship"...so I guess it has some special things in it.

[/b][/quote]

I think they deliberately left a lot out, so that they can put it into A SERIES!

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • RambieRambie Earthforce Officer
    As for the VR combat thing, um... dunno, I'd rather like to see CGI with the ship firing more often.

For a pilot is was good, I hope Sci-Fi makes a series and/or brings back Crusade.

My other beef is this Hand people... Ok, Lorien was "The first one" and at the end of the Shadow war all the "first ones" went with the Vorlons, Shadows, and Lorien beyond the rim... So where did this Hand come from?

Rambie

------------------
    Rambie
    [url="http://www.xmission.com/~rstulce/SE4-Index.htm"]www.xmission.com/~rstulce/SE4-Index.htm[/url]
    [quote]Originally posted by Rambie:
    [b]As for the VR combat thing, um... dunno, I'd rather like to see CGI with the ship firing more often.

For a pilot is was good, I hope Sci-Fi makes a series and/or brings back Crusade.

My other beef is this Hand people... Ok, Lorien was "The first one" and at the end of the Shadow war all the "first ones" went with the Vorlons, Shadows, and Lorien beyond the rim... So where did this Hand come from?

Rambie

[/b][/quote]

they came back when the other first ones left, because now there is nobody to oppose them (thats my thoery anyway)

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    So many things really caused me to think low of what could otherwise be a good movie. I stated most in my little review in my other thread.
    [quote]Originally posted by Sanfam:
    [b]So many things really caused me to think low of what could otherwise be a good movie. I stated most in my little review in my other thread.[/b][/quote]

But as i've said in other threads, could you forsee B5 being as good as it was from "The Gathering"
  • [quote]Originally posted by Sanfam:
    [b]So many things really caused me to think low of what could otherwise be a good movie. I stated most in my little review in my other thread.[/b][/quote]

Well I must say that I am very impressed. I'm watching the second showing of LOTR on Sci-Fi right now. Now to be perfectly honest I'm not sure if I like it so much just because I'm a die-hard B5 fan or not, but all in all I do hope they make a series out of this. I think it could really go places. It may make it a bit more interesting if they are able to bring a few more cast members for an episode or two (aka Deleen, G'Kar, maybe even Sheriden) Ohh and the weapons officer "gone mad" was pretty funny. Well, I've said my peice, anyone else?
    Well, the Gathering showed many things. It also hinted at many more, but did not simply introduce what seem to be absolutely HUGE aspects of the series right in the open. It did things with finesse. Rangers did not.
    [b]Well, the Gathering showed many things. It also hinted at many more, but did not simply introduce what seem to be absolutely HUGE aspects of the series right in the open. It did things with finesse. Rangers did not.[/b][/quote]

I think thats a matter of opinion.

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
    [b]Well, the Gathering showed many things. It also hinted at many more, but did not simply introduce what seem to be absolutely HUGE aspects of the series right in the open. It did things with finesse. Rangers did not.[/b][/quote]

LotR did the same thing... The "haunted" ship, the "Hand", the original disappearance of the Liandra....

But I will say this much.... I have no idea where a series would go from here; and that's a good thing.
  • RambieRambie Earthforce Officer
    "But as i've said in other threads, could you forsee B5 being as good as it was from "The Gathering" "

No, I thought The Gathering was OK when it first aired. Now, as then, I thought it showed promise and wanted more. Remember, The Gathering was a "test" just like Rangers is now... so I'm hopeful that Sci-Fi will make a series.

Rambie [url="http://www.xmission.com/~rstulce/SE4-Index.htm"]www.xmission.com/~rstulce/SE4-Index.htm[/url]
    Moderator: SE4@yahoogroups.com
    [quote]Originally posted by Rambie:
    [b]"But as i've said in other threads, could you forsee B5 being as good as it was from "The Gathering" "

No, I thought The Gathering was OK when it first aired. Now, as then, I thought it showed promise and wanted more. Remember, The Gathering was a "test" just like Rangers is now... so I'm hopeful that Sci-Fi will make a series.

Rambie [url="http://www.xmission.com/~rstulce/SE4-Index.htm"]www.xmission.com/~rstulce/SE4-Index.htm[/url]
    Moderator: SE4@yahoogroups.com[/b][/quote]

that was my point

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • Dune MasterDune Master Earthforce Officer
    I liked it. I mean, The Gathering was pretty bad compared to this pilot, so there is hope for the series.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I'm not convinced that "The Hand" are First Ones, or Thirdspace. I think JMS has a nice twist he is building up for.

It is entirely possible that "The Hand" and whoever exiled them, are totally unknown to Lorien and the so-called First Ones.

Maybe the Ancient Ones is more suitable a name?

One thing is for sure. "The Hand" originated in our universe and was banished. Thirdspace aliens originated on the other side when the Vorlons made their gate.

There is a lot of history that can be lost in such a big universe.

Maybe the First Ones were arrogant to think that they were first?

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]
    [quote]

Maybe the First Ones were arrogant to think that they were first?

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img][/B][/quote]

That's a possibility, Jack. We've already been shown that the First Ones were arrogant in many ways (especially the Shadows and Vorlons).
    I would have appreciated more info from the City that was being excavated...

...but, maybe JMS is holding that card back fo the series?

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]
  • Been awhile since I posted here, but overall, I think the show has promise. I think the "Captain" did pretty good. He showed he can pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat on several occassions, especially when he "bit The Hand", so to say (loved the "BOOM!" on the duct tape).

Of the other characters, the First Officer reminds me alot of Lennier for some reason, the weapons officer enjoys her job too much, their covert ops officer seems to enjoy his job (and toys) too much as well, some others like the Engineer and Tirk I think needed more screentime. Tirk gave off the notion of being a few bricks short of a load, yet I've seen B5 Episodes which show the Drazi as having some measure of intelligence. As for the others, not too sure about.

The ship looked cool, but I'm trying to figure out just where that design came from. They stated the ship is twenty years old, seen 2 wars, and something else. I'm speculating the two wars bit is the Shadow War and Earth-Minbari War. I don't think this was some testbed for Vorlon tech, unless the Vorlons conspired with the Minbari long before meeting Earthlings.

As for this "Hand" group...They might be Thirdspace Aliens, they might not be. I'm leaning them towards being some ancient enemy of the First Ones. Maybe of the Shadows...Shadows are by far the second oldest race of First Ones if I recall correctly, Vorlons are one of the youngest. Walkers of Sigma 957 were pretty old as well. Maybe at the time of the Shadows and Lorien's race's existence (and what ever other younger First Ones existed), they all fought a great war, and these guys lost. Maybe they were one of the original First Ones that left voluntarily eons ago, and when they learned Lorien had finally left with the Vorlons and Shadows, they decided to return (as per someone elses theory). Whomever they are, I think they've been here for some time atleast, working in secret...and they sound quite nasty. I would not be surprised if Drakh ships turn up working for them either. They reward loyalty, and the Drakh were very loyal to their masters.

As for the series...I think it's a high possibility. Anyone else notice at the beginning, the movie was given a title like a normal TV Episode? And all of the hanging threads left over, like the ghost crew...we really don't know if that is solved yet. The traitor originally started out on the Valen, not the Liandri, so I wonder if that satisfies the requirements of the ghost crew or not.

Oh yeah, that ambassador guy, what was with the cigarrette butt looking devices impaled in his cheek?

--Kumba
    [i]"Der Wille zur Macht"[/i]

[This message has been edited by Kumba (edited 01-20-2002).]
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    [quote]Originally posted by Kumba:
    [b]

As for this "Hand" group...They might be Thirdspace Aliens, they might not be. [/b][/quote]

Thirdspace ships had shields...these didn't.....
  • Timelines;

Thirdspace occured after The shadow war but before Sherdian liberates Earth.

The telepath war sounds like its over [hence Gkar's friend being "gone now"]. But likely it has not been over for long [<1yr?] hence could play into the story a bit.

The Drahk war has not happened yet. "A call to Arms" is the fallout over the Drahk losing that war.

Crusade takes place a few years after "To live and die in starlight"; There is never any mention of this new enemy in crusade at all, so this kind of leaves the lid close on any great war beyond whats been mentioned unless it all really ties into the Drahk war. Perhaps they are the gatekeeper so to speak; the war is over making sure that gate is closed? And because the alliance beats the Drahk, the new enemy is never worth the mention in Crusade or a call to arms?

[This message has been edited by mreddin (edited 01-20-2002).]
    These are some suspicions of mine, and some points to consider.

1. The Story of the Rangers takes place over thousands of years if not hundreds of thousands. From the past (Valen's time when he instituted the Rangers), through the time of B5, and on into the future during the Great Burn where the Rangers are the keepers of Earth's defense and rebuilding (Season 5 episodes). I believe there was a reason he (JMS) placed that out into the B5 domain, to be able to come back and use it later.

It becomes evident to me that the Legend of the Rangers series could have all kinds of stories that take place in many different time zones.

We could be seeing this crew taking on missions many years down the road from "To Live and Die in Starlight".

2. I believe the pilot show is setting up a story somewhere down the series if it gets established. This story (involving "The Hand") will ultimately take place after the Drakh war in the time line. My suspicion is that it may have something to do ultimately with the Great Burn.

I wonder how many out here ever got to see the Season 5 Episode of Babylon 5 where the Humans have become beings of light with encounter suits just like the Vorlons, and are looking back through the Ranger history banks 1 Million years to the time of the Babylon 5 Station, just before they leave Earth to join the other races on the Rim because our sun is dying?

It implies a whole lot when you mull it over... [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]

3. John and Delenn's son still has some part to play in all this down the road. We really haven't seen much about it, we've heard some things.

4. JMS has the ability to introduce things that don't make sense right away, but are brought together in an episode or two rather nicely.

5. The universe is old, it's big, and not one of it's living creatures could know everything that has ever happened everywhere. The Story of Babylon 5 only takes place within our Galaxy for one thing, and mostly in a small bit of known space for that matter.

Have you stopped to consider the amount of other galaxies there are, and the vast amount of space between them? Now let's add the amount of time from the present back to the formation of the universe so far which we perceive to be roughly 4.5 billion years.

I'd say there's LOTS of room for a new bad guy to come into the picture...

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by JackN (edited 01-20-2002).]
  • [quote]Originally posted by Sanfam:

This is probably gonna get a few people mad at me but this is my opinion. There was all this hype and everything for this movie and I found it to be a great disappointment. I'm gonna have to say this...I found the acting to be very poor, they tried to make it look too different with the cgi, and "The Hand" comes in here from right field.

[This message has been edited by Ranger1 (edited 01-21-2002).]
  • I'll say it straight up, guys. I couldn't even get past the first couple minutes. It came
    off as so... artificial. I think I can deliver lines better than that. I literally couldn't
    stand to watch it. At least with Crusade (which I *don't* like at all) I could stomach watching
    a few episodes. But this I found painful right from the start.

Don't want to sound too negative, I would love nothing more than to get to see more Babylon 5
    (at the quality level we are accustomed to), but from what little I saw, it doesn't look like
    this will be it. Oh well, I suppose it was too much to hope for. I don't guess we'll ever
    see another new sci-fi series that can measure up to Babylon 5.

One more reason that B5:ItF must be made eventually. It may be our last chance to see more
    Babylon 5. The *real* Babylon 5.

Anyhow, just being honest.

[This message has been edited by Dunedain (edited 01-21-2002).]
  • Here's a possible theory about "the hand." We know that the shadows and the vorlons used races as pawns (human, minbari, drakh, etc.) Could it be possible that other races used the vorlons and shadows for their own purposes? Didn't that ambassador say that the hand made the shadows look like amateurs, or words to that effect?

As a side note, I really enjoyed watching G'Kar in the show. His growth is quite evident from the original B5 pilot (from radical to mystic).

As far as pilots go it was pretty effective. I've seen better that have turned out to be mediocre series, and I've seen worse that have turned into pretty darned good series.

One more thing, then I'm done. People keep comparing it to B5:TOS (nyuck, nyuck), but it's really apples and oranges. B5 was an epic in the tradition of classical theatre, heavy in pathos and drama, with some action thrown in. B5:LoTR is about rangers, action with some pathos and drama thrown in.
    Just a note:
    Something people have brought up both here and on IRC is that the story of Babylon 5 is closed. It is done with. Crusade was another story taking place in the Babylon 5 universe. It was not B5, nor was it intended to be. Same for the rangers. It is not Babylon 5, and is probably only labeled as such for marketing reasons. It is intending to tell a different story in the same universe. In addition to this, each story had a different style. While Babylon 5 was drama-focused and crusade was more adventure-focused, this appears to be heading towards more fantasy. When looked at this way, it is clear why you really should not be expecting another Babylon 5. It's a different show, a different story.

Just posting some of what I've observed and some of what I believe. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/vsml.gif[/img]
  • JackN said:
    >1. The Story of the Rangers takes place >over thousands of years if not hundreds of >thousands. From the past (Valen's time when >he instituted the Rangers), through the >time of B5, and on into the future during >the Great Burn where the Rangers are the >keepers of Earth's defense and rebuilding >(Season 5 episodes).

If memory serves me, it was the holographic AI of Garibaldi that touches off the war by warning the part of Earth loyal to the alliance of the plans to malign the historical memory of Sheridan. (Obviously war was going to happen anyways, he just gave it the push over the edge). This is not to preclude that the civil war did not evolve without outside influences, as the Shadows had a part in the rise of President Clark, but that does get old as a plot device fast. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]

But agreed, JMS said he plotted out B5 stories in thousands of years from the original shows point of view and that was just one of many potential stories.