Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Red Mars

RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
No I am not just being redundant. :) I am talking about the trilogy of books Red Mars/Green Mars/Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. I read the first book only because I recieved it as a gift- had glanced at it a few times but it just looked like some corny scifi book. However, I have really enjoyed all three of the books (well, I am just starting the last one, Blue Mars). How many of you have read it? Did you like or hate it? What did you think of the writing style/quirks (such as telling you about the death of the main character at the start of the first book and then working back)? How did you like the jumping from one character to the next?

Secondly, I think a movie trilogy of these books would be damn cool- but that is just me. What do you think? I know it is not very feasable, but what the hell... So anyways, this ends my blabbering for tonight. :)

P.S. Or it doesn't... What about a PC game based on the trilogy? Has anyone seen any good space type games similar to Alpha Centauri (or more based on terraforming a new planet, interactions between different factions on a new planet, ect)? Thanks again.

Comments

• Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO HAS READ THEM!

AWESOME AWESOME STUFF!

its actually been quite some time since ive read those books, i read them when i was like 13 or 14 and i personally cant remember blue mars that well (at all to be honest) thats because i loved green and red sooooooooooooooooooooo much.

green was my favorite because it was insane but red holds a very special place in my heart because it rocks hard.

like how it opened with the death of john boone and then the whole book is about why his death is important because he was such a great man. so when it got to be when he was dead I missed him!

do i see a game based on this? no.

BUT a while ago james cameron was talking about doing a tv series based on it then an imax movie so i dunno.

It could work as a series but only if there was one guiding focus behind it.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Isnt Total Recall based on those books?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I haven't had the chance to read them, but they're high on my list.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I haven't read them, but perhaps I will buy them when all of you like them!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Messiah [/i]
    [B]Isnt Total Recall based on those books? [/B][/QUOTE]

oh hell no, thats some phillip k dick short.
  • While we are on the topic of semi-obscure sci-fi..has anyone else read these trilogies:

The Conqueror's Trilogy by Timothy Zahn:
    Conqueror's Pride
    Conqueror's Heritage
    Conqueror's Legacy

And the trilogy by C.S. Lewis:
    Out of the Silent Planet
    Prelandora
    That Hideous Strength
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    I've read Out of the Silent Planet and started on Prelanda. Good books, it interesting that C.S. Lewis has writings in such a wide range of genres.

I read Conqueors Pride. I just couldn't get into the story, I think it may Zahn's writing style.
  • The first one is a bit slower than the last 2...he changes the point of view to only the conqueror's in the second book, then does a split plot in the third book, bringing everything to a great conclusion..

Zahn, as usual, focuses quite a bit on politics and several interacting plot lines..it can be a bit slow or tedious to some readers..but having read the entire Dune series, it seems quick and uncomplicated ;)
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    I would love to see a movie trilogy based on these books. So cool (if you could get the right director/actors- James Cameron would be bitchin). I still think that a game that involved colonizing another planet would be damn cool (or just another Alpha Centauri :D )
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    I liked all three,(though all the characters seemed to be a little over-sexed at times).

The reality of the science was what impressed me the most. I guess I prefer hard-science fiction to fantasy scifi.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by bobo [/i]
    [B]I liked all three,(though all the characters seemed to be a little over-sexed at times).

The reality of the science was what impressed me the most. I guess I prefer hard-science fiction to fantasy scifi. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree about the over sexed part (seemed like everybody was getting some every day from different people- frigging Hiroko with her stolen children...)

I also liked the non-fantasy type style. Very cool.

So does anyone have any suggestions as to a game that incorperates Terraforming (besides Alpha Centauri)? Thanks!
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I should pick up the Trilogy and give em a shot...

I haven't read any good books since Larry Niven's Smoke Ring series.

:)
    there really lengthy and VERY VERY detailed, which is what i liked about it. gave me such a sense of reality that i loved it.
    Whats made me not read it yet was because I thought it was Total Recall... Now I gotta buy them of course :)
    Nothing like the crap that was Total Recall. Buy them, you must! Yoda am I!
    it is by no way total recall
  • my brother has read the mars trilogy, he like them very much. i didn't have the head to read them yet. if you want weird/sick/fascinating sci-fi get Peter F. Hamiltons "Night's Dawn" Trilogy, that was the weirdest thing I held in my hands lately :eek:
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Hey! I like Total Recall!
    Are there any more books like "The hitch hikers guide to the galaxy" ????
  • eric idle - road to mars :D
    I still need to get the guide to the galaxy...
  • Yes! The Conquerors Trilogy is excellent!!

Read all three of the books. If you read the first one and stopped, you need to read the other two. What I liked the most about the second and third books is that Zahn nailed the points of view of both the humans and aliens perfectly and how one simple misunderstanding started a war.

And the Copperheads ruled!!!!

Gotta read those again...

Anyone ever read The Forever War from Joe Haldeman? Its old school but its an excellent book.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rhett [/i]
    [B]I still need to get the guide to the galaxy... [/B][/QUOTE]

You havent read it?!
  • I liked the resturant at the end of the universe.... the ambiance was just imaculate... and teh food... to die for :D

However Im more of a fantasy reader, like tWoT or the Liveship Traders trilogy :)
    If you liked the liveship traders books, read the farseer trilogy. Its immense.

Im on the 10th book of WoT myself, and I dont like it. I think this might be the last book I buy that Robert Jordans written.
    I like David Eddings books and other fantasy!