Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Email Tracing...

Is there any way I can find some info on the origin of an email using the following information? The guy used a fake email address; something simple to do. I've done it before a few times to freak out my friends. I just never try to send them viruses like that.

Return-Path:
Received: from INSU1 ([193.118.251.61])
by sparrow (EarthLink SMTP Server) with ESMTP id 192QbO5QM3NZFjV0
for ; Tue, 8 Apr 2003 03:18:52 -0700 (PDT)
To:
Subject: Re: Document
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 12:30:28 +0100
Importance: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
boundary="CSmtpMsgPart123X456_000_0016B7EB"
Message-Id: <200304080318.192QbO5QM3NZFjV0@sparrow>

The virus is known (at least at [url=http://www.avast.com/w95info.htm]this website[/url]) as the Sobig virus. I, in my infinite wisdom, wanted to know just why MS Outlook thought it was smarter than me and blocked my attachments. Fortunately, when I executed the file, I had my XP task manager handy, noticed the considerable CPU usage spike, and terminated the process. I did a search for the process name, and voila!, I found that site above. Got rid of all the registry keys and files that sneaky bugger put all over the place. I'll probably re-install my firewall just in case (It's been off since my latest reformat; I don't have cable or anything, I usually just install it so I can try to figure out what XP thinks is so important that it can eat up my bandwidth). Only thing left is to try and figure out who would do this...probably some bad mailing list I ended up on, but, then, there's always the possibility it's someone I know...

Boss.com, btw, is inaccessible using internet explorer and does not respond to pings.

Edit: Is there any way I can hack the executable to get info on who it's broadcasting my IP to?

Comments

• Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    Solution: Stop using outlook! That thing has more security holes than there are fat slobs at McDonalds.

What you might want to do is [url=http://www.spamcop.net]go here[/url]. It'll do the trace for you, and send a complaint notice to the idiot's ISP if you want.
  • Actually 'that outlook' blocked the file. I had to forward it to a webmail service to be able to download and run it. Curiosity.
  • This is what the spam thinger spit out:

"whois [email]193.118.251.61@whois.ripe.net[/email]" (Getting contact from whois.ripe.net)
    Found inetnum admin-c = gm3560-ripe
    Found inetnum tech-c = gm3560-ripe
    whois.ripe.net 193.118.251.61 (nothing found)
    host 193.118.251.61 (getting name) no name
    Falling back on IP addressing:postmaster@[193.118.251.61]
    193.118.251.61 not listed in dnsbl.njabl.org
    193.118.251.61 not listed in proxies.blackholes.wirehub.net
    193.118.251.61 not listed in proxies.relays.monkeys.com
    193.118.251.61 not listed in dnsbl.njabl.org
    193.118.251.61 not listed in relays.ordb.org.
    193.118.251.61 not listed in query.bondedsender.org

So that means I'm SOL?
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Probably...

You know, the virus could have mailed itself to you via a friends address book without them even knowing it took place... I've seen that happen before too...

Virii suck! Those who make them should be shot.

:mad:
  • I actually had a little fun off one once. Back a few years, I picked one up in, of all places, a Jedi Knight game. The guy gave me this address as a place to download hacks for MotS. Program did nothing. Thought nothing of it. Several months later, typical trojan stuff starts happening: messing with the colors, IMs without AIM being open, our printers spontaneously printing, etc. Of course, the dummy (probably some stupid 13 year old) told me he'd given me a virus. I run out and buy a firewall, then challenge him to a game of JK - except he couldn't use hacks. Kicked his butt. Very satisfying. Amazing he was civil to me after repeated attempts to turn him into officials at the Zone. (of course, as a 13-year-old myself, I naively didn't know that they couldn't do anything to him anyway.)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Regarding why Outlook blocked the exe: If you're using Outlook XP, it's set to do that by default.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people

% This is the RIPE Whois server.
    % The objects are in RPSL format.
    %
    % Rights restricted by copyright.
    % See [url]http://www.ripe.net/ripencc/pub-services/db/copyright.html[/url]

inetnum: 193.118.251.0 - 193.118.251.255
    netname: CARPHONE-WAREHOUSE-LTD-THE
    descr: CARPHONE WAREHOUSE LTD (THE)
    admin-c: GM3560-RIPE
    tech-c: GM3560-RIPE
    notify: [email]ripe-notify@uk.psi.com[/email]
    mnt-by: PSINET-UK-SYSADMIN
    changed: [email]sysadmin@uk.psi.com[/email] 19990806
    source: RIPE

route: 193.116.0.0/14
    descr: EUNETGB-116-AGG
    origin: AS1290
    mnt-by: PSINET-MNT
    changed: [email]network-ripe@uk.psi.com[/email] 20021015

person: Greg McCall
    address: CARPHONE WAREHOUSE LTD (THE)
    address: Wales Farm Road
    address: North Acton Business Park
    address: North Acton
    address: London
    address: W3 6RS
    phone: +44 181 896 5226
    nic-hdl: GM3560-RIPE
    notify: [email]ripe-notify@uk.psi.com[/email]
    mnt-by: PSINET-UK-SYSADMIN
    changed: [email]sysadmin@uk.psi.com[/email] 19990719

Looking up 193.118.251.61 at whois.radb.net.

NOTE: More information appears to be available at AS1290.

route: 193.116.0.0/14
    descr: EUNETGB-116-AGG
    origin: AS1290
    mnt-by: PSINET-MNT
    changed: [email]network-ripe@uk.psi.com[/email] 20021015

pri2.dns.psinet.ch. (an authoritative nameserver for 251.118.193.in-addr.arpa., which is in charge of the reverse DNS for 193.118.251.61)
    says that there are no PTR records for 193.118.251.61.
  • UK...meaning it was either an honest accident (virus hacked some address book), or someone's good at spoofing their IP.

Thanks guys. I appreciate this.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo_1 [/i]
    [B]Actually 'that outlook' blocked the file. I had to forward it to a webmail service to be able to download and run it. Curiosity. [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't count on it doing that in the future. Get a better e-mail client pronto.

[url=http://www.mozilla.org/]Use Mozilla[/url] instead.
  • KeyanKeyan Ranger
    Or..umm..use a virus scanner?
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    or use a Mac...:D
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]or use a Mac...:D [/B][/QUOTE]

Here in NY we have curbside recycling, and people toss their old computers, which i tend to bring home for spare parts.

Day before yesterday, i found a Performa 6320CD and a 15 inch Multiview Mac monitor, its only an 603 120mhz, BUT, its got the full video kit in it, so i can put it in my office and watch TV on it :)

Only took me about an hour of work to pull it apart and fix what was wrong with it.

Its amazing what people throw away. my FreeBSD server is a k6/2-450 that i found on the street as well :)
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    I wish I could do that. Next time you find some good stuff- ship some of it my way :D
    heh

You should go dumpster diving sometime. :D You would be suprised how much good stuff that retailers throw out.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]heh

You should go dumpster diving sometime. :D You would be suprised how much good stuff that retailers throw out. [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh i do know, i noticed when i parked by the dumpster at staples and blockbuster,

Its amazing what people throw away!
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Hmm... Somehow someone I knew would see me and give me hell :D
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rhett [/i]
    [B]Hmm... Somehow someone I knew would see me and give me hell :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, but when you get yourself a perfectly good 3 gig hard drive that only had a fubared MBR out of it (easily fixed in like 3 seconds using fdisk), I don't really give a shit what people would say. :D