Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

American football - quick question...

Just a quick question, I promise you - but does any out there know, roughly, what the guidelines are on game-legal handwear?

About a month and a half ago I broke my hand rather nastily, splitting two bones along their length, and taking a knuckle clean off - much to the amusement of the casualty department staff.

The result is I still have a very precarious looking knuckle, which is still out of position, and leaves the hand rather vulnerable.

Ideally I'm looking for some kind of gauntlet, with a wrist strap to boot, thanks to some wonderful damaged ligaments - I don't want it to look like I'm over-armouring myself simply to be more effective in the line, but I don't want to risk an injury to my hand at this stage.

Am playing at uni level, in the UK... so suggestions, rule corrections, advice, all would be appreciated. Cheers :)

Comments

• Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    yes
  • Don't suppose you'd care to dispense with some of this knowledge?

Or should I be checking my inbox?
  • I wish I could answer the question for you....

But how popular is American rules Football in the UK, and Europe as a whole? I've see some games from NFL Europe but it didnt look that there were many people in the stands.

Always wanted to know......
  • You've got a problem here - because while the larger rules (the on field stuff) related to US football are similar when it comes to NCAA (University) football and NFL football the smaller rules for instance regarding elegability and equipment differ a great deal.

The fact that you are playing Uni football in the UK makes this an even more difficult question to answer. Your athletic dept. should have a person who is there just to answer this kind of question.
  • Well I don't know about in the UK but over here, College and NFL players routinly play with casts on thier wrists and arms.
  • MelkorMelkor Elite Ranger
    There's a few different options you can probably go with. They offer armguards in a number of different flavors that have padding in such a way to protect your hand/forearm or just your hand. Unfortunately those offer almost no protection for your fingers. Your best option in my opinion, are what as known as "Lineman Gloves". Basicly leather palmed gloves that (can be full or "fingerless) have padding on the back of the hand as well as along the lengths of the fingers. Some of them are simply padded gloves, others have a "sticky" texture on the palm and are meant more for Linebackers or Tight Ends who need both padding and the ability to grip the ball. Either option can be found at any good store that sells football equiptment, at least that's the case here in my area anyway.

Though I would reccomend checking with your coach or someone similar to find out exactly what options you do have as defined by your school/organization/league/etc... You MIGHT be able to get away with a plasitc splint under one of the above options, particularly the Lineman Gloves.. that would be what I'd shoot for anyway since that would offer the most support and protection.