Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

X2 (With major spoilers)

SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
I had to do this. There's lots of fun stuff to discuss. :-)

The magneto escape scene got *tons* of applause from the crowd. It was really just amazing, pulling the metal right from the blood of the guard. Just how the entire scene played out was amazing.

I was also very interested in the ambiguity of who was good and who was bad. While Magneto has tried to destroy humanity (or portions of it), he still doesn't have the feel of a typical "bad guy". His motivations would have us almost symathizing with him, understanding why he did what he does.

I also really was amazed at how well the introductory scene worked. Everything was filmed just perfectly. Instead of being a viewer, you felt as if you were in the scene itself, trying to defend against the chaos. The character of the Nightcrawler was also developed really well, and proved ot be one of the most interesting faith-based characters i've yet seen in a film.

I was a bit annoyed at the lack of explaination regarding the "Drug dots" on the back of the captured mutants necks, though. Yes, we did eventually link up who did it, why it was done, and such, but more detail would have been nice.

Comments

• Yep, everyone seemed to love that Magneto escape scene. Of course, with all that destruction from such an unlikely (on the surface anyhow) source, it's no wonder. Breaking stuff is amusing! :p

And, you can't forget, the best one word reply in the movie! "Art." Heh! :D

All in all, this movie was quite good. I liked it a lot more than the first one (which I thought was about average). I'm not sure if they're making another sequel (I don't keep up to date on that sort of stuff much), but it sure set up for one at the end there. :)
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Yea, the Drug Dots were NOT explained, how could he control a mutant with them? they never said...

The escape was VERY cool, loved it.
    and am I the only one that thinks Jene isn't dead? There were a number of little things that made me think she is alive (Mainly the Professor, after it happened, and at the end).

somehow I KNEW Pyro was going to go bad sometime in the movie. (Note: I never read X-Men comics, and only watched a few eps of the origenal X-Men series, so I knew the charectors, etc, but not much of the back story, other then Wolverines).

Speaking of Wolverine, can anyone explain why hes the most popular X-Men? Sure, as a charector hes neat, but everyone seems to like him based on his power...

Dunno, never could figure it out.
  • It seems to me the people who like him best are the ones that just view X-men stuff a little. A friend of mine seems to be a big fan, and Wolverine isn't his favorite character. I used to watch the cartoon series when I was younger, and I never thought too much of him.

I think he's easier to identify with sort of. I mean, he shows his anger a lot and his background (especially for movie goers) is the most clear. And he's got the cool claw things. You know, I've wondered that, too, heh.

Hmmm, I think I may have to go check out some of those old cartoons and such...

I agree the dots thing needed a bit more clarification after further thought. I want some biology behind how putting a few drops of some unknown stuff on someone's neck makes them into a controllable thing. A controllable thing that knows what it's doing, but can't stop it.
  • I was really impressed with the Wolverine/Deathstrike fight. All that impailing with those claws, amazing.
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    I don't know about anyone else, but when Deathstrike was killed and she made that "clang" at the bottom of the tub it gave me shivers... I know, I'm a wuss. :p

She was really hot too. At least Rebecca Romijn-Stamos is back! :D
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    they did explain the dots!

They were made from the fluid inside Jason strykers head and it allowed for mutants to be controlled easier.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    yes. But more of how it was installed so quickly.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    Is it me, or did Magneto get the best lines of all?

"When will you mutants ever learn to fly?"

"Once again, you think its all about you!" *looks up to see Nightcrawler in the trees*

:D
    one of my favorite shots from the movie had to be the X-Jet just sitting there, right in front of Magneto (Hand raised, showing no effort of any sort).

It was just so casual, so calm. The jet just hovering there, pointed right at him.
  • MTMT Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]Is it me, or did Magneto get the best lines of all?

"When will you mutants ever learn to fly?"
    :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, I think it was "people," not "mutants."

Magneto's line about how that fat guy shouldn't trust a beautiful woman, especially one attracted to him was funny. I wish I remembered how it went.

But as funny as Magneto was, Wolverine had the best line. When Deathstryke's claws came out, his response was perfect.
  • KeyanKeyan Ranger
    I really, really liked it, can't wait for the DVD release.

No more cheezy dialog, that "same thing that happens to everything else" line STILL makes me cringe from the first one. The humor was good, the action was sweet (they KILL PEOPLE), although I though it would have been funny if that kid had blinked and blinded that guys night vision. Good character development, and it sure didn't feel like just over 2 hours. Icemans's brother is a turd, I would frosted his willy off or somethin for that.

I think ppl like Wolverene because his powers aren't that obvious. I mean, he doesn't have a tail, he isn't blue, and he doesn't have an incredible power like Xavier or Magneto. He's more of an everyman who has had some..enhancement that isn't mutant that capitalizes on his powers.

Yes, they are making another one, expect this to be a pretty long run. They have a lot of source material, and it's obviously popular.

Ok, major huge spoliers ahead.
    R.E.: Gene Gray
    *[COLOR=darkblue][SIZE=1]Did you notice the glowing in the water? In the shape of..a..pheonix?[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    Also, the cheesy line...wasn't supposed to be acted that way. Ms. Berry has no talent. That's all. :P

Also, anyone notice that in the beginning...

the "X" from "20th Century FOX" stayed on a good deal longer than the rest of the letters?

Just something subtle that nagged me.
  • KeyanKeyan Ranger
    Umm..it did that in the first one too..that "nagged" you?

I thought that storm in general was better this time, not so timid.

It would have been cheezy NO MATTER WHAT, IT WAS A BAD LINE. No actor/actress could have salvaged that one.
  • Yea that line was bad, but this one made up for it:

Cyclops: "Wait how do I know it's really you?"

Wolverine: "Your a dick."

Cyclops: "Ok, Lets go."
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ricobirch [/i]
    [B]Yea that line was bad, but this one made up for it:

Cyclops: "Wait how do I know it's really you?"

Wolverine: "Your a dick."

Cyclops: "Ok, Lets go." [/B][/QUOTE]

Dude, if you're going to quote someone, atleast get it right. :p

Wolverine: HEY! Wait! Its me!
    Cyclops: Prove it.
    Wolverine: You're a dick!
    Cyclops: Ok!

I should know because I had that in my signature for over a year at SB. :p
  • KeyanKeyan Ranger
    That, and the single claw flick off, ruled.
  • well i got the spirit of the quote right and thats what counts:)

I don't know If you guys caught it but Mystique was flipping them the bird as she was sliding through the door.

As for the crowding of the theater, for me that is the only way to see a big summer movie. In my theater there were about about 550 people. And every single one wast screaming, clapping, and hooting along with the action. It made for a great experience.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Keyan [/i]
    [B]Umm..it did that in the first one too..that "nagged" you?

I thought that storm in general was better this time, not so timid.

It would have been cheezy NO MATTER WHAT, IT WAS A BAD LINE. No actor/actress could have salvaged that one. [/B][/QUOTE]

It's a good kind of nagging.

Although seriously think about the line. If it were said in a lighter manner, it would ahve worked very well.
  • Vorlon Ambassador KoshVorlon Ambassador Kosh Vorlonforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Keyan [/i]
    [B]
    Yes, they are making another one, expect this to be a pretty long run. They have a lot of source material, and it's obviously popular.

Ok, major huge spoliers ahead.
    R.E.: Gene Gray
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Yer, you're right, already rumours about X4 floating around. Ofc it's just rumours but the story about X-men could go on forever.
    About Jean Grey, it's more or less confirmed that what you meant in the spoiler is going to happen.
    The actress who plays Lady Deathstrike confirmed it (accidentally?) on a radio program, I want X3 NOW!!!!!!:mad:
  • How would she know, shes not going to be any sequals.
    She sure could be. She just needs a new contract.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ricobirch [/i]
    [B]How would she know, shes not going to be any sequals. [/B][/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be too sure about that.....

(Hint: Magneto is involved.)
  • [quote]Wolverine: HEY! Wait! Its me!
    Cyclops: Prove it.
    Wolverine: You're a dick!
    Cyclops: Ok[/quote]

when FOX aired x-men on tv, they replaced dick with dork... how could they!? they would have you believe wolverine is warm and cuddly! ack!

[quote]It seems to me the people who like him best are the ones that just view X-men stuff a little. A friend of mine seems to be a big fan, and Wolverine isn't his favorite character. I used to watch the cartoon series when I was younger, and I never thought too much of him.[/quote]

i think half of it is the claws... i don't know *what* about the claws people find so attractive, but... whatever, heh.

[quote]No more cheezy dialog, that "same thing that happens to everything else" line STILL makes me cringe from the first one. The humor was good, the action was sweet (they KILL PEOPLE), although I though it would have been funny if that kid had blinked and blinded that guys night vision. Good character development, and it sure didn't feel like just over 2 hours. Icemans's brother is a turd, I would frosted his willy off or somethin for that.[/quote]

bah - the first one made me cringe in a whole lot more places... the fights dragged on and one... storm took hit after hit and kept walking, as did sabertooth and mystique. it got old fast. in fact, it reminded me of dbz fights - where even if someone blows up into a billion pieces, they're still alive.

this movie did the fights perfectly :)

there's a scene where mystique says, in so many words, that she's helping magnetto so she can be her normal blue self without anyone prejudging her. i think this "motivation" is stupid... humans see the mutants as "freaks", but whose to say that mutants can't see each other as freaks? wolverine is a pretty normal mutant - heck - he could pass for a human, and has. so could professor x, cyclops (with shades), rogue (as long as she doesn't touch anyone), jean gray, storm, etc. mystique is a freak, even among mutants. killing all non-mutants won't change that.

and jean gray... in the begining she was unable to control her telepathic / telekenitic powers. she had to concentrate to lift a chair and she couldn't keep the random voices out of her head. soon after, she was holding nightcrawler in midbay and disarming fast moving missles at high velocities.

but... i don't think those really detracted from the movie - they were pretty small flaws and... yup :)

the scenes where the soldiers were invading xavier's school for the gifted and where magnetto was being interrogated by stryker were neat... they showed that mutants, out of their element, are pretty much just like humans. stryker, in contrast, is more powerful than many of those mutants. as magneto's element is metal his element is his son, wiith the mind controlling substances that his son's brain excretes.

something else i found sorta interesting... the most powerful mutant (atleast as far as the movies would suggest), professor x, is always being used. in the first movie, he was the person whom they first took out and in the second movie, they used him in an attempt to kill everyone. if you have an ultra powerful ability, people are going to want you to use it for their advantage - if not by choice, then by coersion. of course, mutants are just like this - magnetto and rouge, in the first movie, for instance. reading up about the comic book history of the x-men one has to wonder... will the mutants ever enjoy peace? it seems mutants (unlike normal humans) are in a constant battle to keep their power for themselves - they battle against other mutants (who don't have their power) and humans. at first "glance", being a mutant might be cool, but... the more you learn about the mutants of the x-men, the more you realize... perhapes being human is better, after all, than being a mutant.
    The best scene has to be when they are driving in Cyc's car and someone puts on the radio and it's Nsync's "bye bye bye" and everyone starts complaining :D
  • bobobobo (A monkey)
    One plot flaw I found...

When Xavier was "focusing" on all the mutants, they all were affected, except Magneto [I]AND[/I] Stryker's son. Magneto had the helmet, but what protected the other one? Why wasn't he incapacitated by Professor X, too?
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    he was. did you somehow mis the little girl getting REALLY frightened and out of breath? he managed to hold the illusion, but he was scared.
  • [quote]he was. did you somehow mis the little girl getting REALLY frightened and out of breath? he managed to hold the illusion, but he was scared.[/quote]

i think that was because storm was summoning an ice storm in there...

as for why stryker's son wasn't being affected... that's a good question, heh.

the best explanation i can come up with is that since professor x already knew where he (or she, as the case may be) was, he didn't lock onto him / her with cerebrum.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Or, also possible, since Stryker's son had similar abilities to Professor X, he was blocking him.
    Does X's powers through Cerebrum affect people in Cerebrum itself?
    Cerebro. :)