Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

What is the World Coming To??

RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
These are the type of people I hate. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:See the end of the article for more of my opinions on the subject.
Taken from [url=http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-oe-allhoff7may07,1,5122497.story]here[/url]

She's Almost Too Good to Be True, and to Prove It She's Going to Sue
Asked to share her valedictorian honors, a New Jersey teenager files a $2.7-million lawsuit.

By Hans Allhoff, Hans Allhoff is a graduate student at the London School of Economics.

"Who is Blair Hornstine?" may be a tougher question for most Americans than "Where is Osama bin Laden?"

It shouldn't be. Hornstine is a high school senior and straight-A student from Moorestown, N.J., who thinks she should be the sole valedictorian of her graduating class.

Her school district wants her to share this honor with two other students, whose GPAs are only slightly lower than hers — essentially because they took gym classes, which receive no special weight in a GPA calculation. Hornstine was excused from gym because she suffers from chronic fatigue syndrome.

Now, Hornstine has asked a federal judge to intervene on her behalf. What's more, she has sued her school district for $200,000 in compensatory damages and $2.5 million in punitive damages.

She is being discriminated against and humiliated on account of her disability, she claims. (Her father is a state Superior Court judge and is on her side publicly.)

"Not only does the conferral of co-valedictorian status inaccurately suggest that plaintiff Blair Hornstine was not at the top of her class, but it actually raises a derogatory implication that her performance is not what it seems," said her attorney, Edwin J. Jacobs Jr.

One hopes Hornstine will either drop her case or lose it, and then stand proudly with her two equally accomplished classmates on graduation day, June 19. It is a little too early to tell, however. U.S. District Judge Freda Wolfson has scheduled a hearing for Thursday. The Moorestown Board of Education has planned a May 12 meeting of its own.

Meanwhile, Princeton, Stanford, Harvard, Duke and Cornell all admitted Hornstine to their classes of 2007. And for understandable reasons: Aside from her stellar academic record, she scored a 1570 on her SAT, is an accomplished orator and debater and founded the Tri-County Prom Dress Drive, which collected and distributed more than 400 prom dresses to girls from low-income families.

She also helped raise money for 10 Chinese orphans to have oral surgery, which earned her an invitation to China to address a global conference there.

She was even an Olympic torchbearer.

Yet while her academic and extracurricular accomplishments are not up for discussion, Hornstine's character now is: What kind of student decides that simply doing well is not enough? What kind of person, when asked to share such an honor as valedictorian, claims an exclusive right to it?

Although Princeton — just to pick a school — has a compelling interest in filling its classrooms and dormitories with accomplished young men and women just like Hornstine, it also has an interest in making sure those young men and women have an appropriate attitude toward learning and academic success.

It is unclear whether Hornstine — whose ego and litigious instinct appear to drive her — has such an attitude. Someone who simply loves to learn would not do what she is doing.

It is too late for Princeton to rescind its offer of admission to Hornstine. She has reportedly decided to go to Harvard. This timing is unfortunate. Princeton, and every other school to which she was admitted, could have — and should have — made a powerful statement by saying, "Blair Hornstine, we were wrong about you."

Hornstine may seem to possess something special; but in fact, she's just a member of a hyper-accomplished generation for whom getting good grades and doing good deeds has become a way of life.

It would be better for the nation's elite colleges and universities to offer admission to those candidates with a more sophisticated sense of success and deeper appreciation for academic life.

MY OPINIONS FOLLOW

Being a high school student who is currently number one in his class, I can understand how hard it is to become valedictorian (and how much work is entailed). But part of life is sharing the title who worked just as hard as you. I have NO respect for people who work the system as she is trying to. And I also hope my parents would have the good sense to kill me if I was like this... I would, personally, bitch slap this whore if I ever met her. I am sorry- but this is exactly what the world does not need. I will also probably send letters to all four of the colleges pleading with them to revoke her admission. This is the kind of bitch that should not be congratulated for her actions... But please feel free to correct me, and I also relize that you may find my opinion harsh. But thats the way I feel. I know what its like to work hard like she did. But she is not the only one who worked hard (the two others did also). And just because she worked the system doesnt mean she should be the only valedictorian (just as I will be happy to be part of a group of people who worked hard when I graduate). Oh- and the "condition she has", um yes, how can she do all those great things that take a hell of alot of time and effort but not be able to take a PE class??? I mean for fucks sake you dont even have to run much. Yet she is able to run with the Olympic torch? Score a near perfect score on the SATs?

One last thing- the fact that she is sueing for such an outrageous amount sickens me. In a period of time when education is having enough problems, a frivolous case like this should be immediately thrown out (or I would countersue her for being a bitch whore idiot). Ok, thank you, just had to get that out of my system...

Comments

• bobobobo (A monkey)
    The longer I live, and work as a professional, the more I learn that there is more to learning than a formal education. Apparently, this girl (not young woman), has received an education, but not learned very much.

bobo
    (a monkey, but smarter than this chick)
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I have a similiar condition called M.E. (please dont ask me to spell it properly). It has the same symptoms but lasts years instead of months.

I [b][COLOR=red]HATE[/COLOR][/b] using it as an excuse. I know there are things I cant do but I still try to do everything I can.

Just my thoughts.

[COLOR=red]AND I HAVE 1000 posts! BWAHAHAHA[/COLOR]

Worf
  • KonradKonrad Ranger
    What a sniveling little brat! So help me this girl will never be employed under me – she’s going on the black ball list right now. Can you imagine what it would be like to work with her? There is no way she’s a team player AT ALL.

I’ve found that people like her, but not her for certain, do those “nice” things like the prom dress drive JUST to pad their resumes. There is no honest caring or feeling behind it. What a crock. I think I can guess what her “character” is right now.

I don’t know who should get most of the blame here – her or her parents. I’d spit on her if she was in front of me. She needs a HUGE taste of reality. She’s the kind who would cry if she got a B. I say force her to take a PE class that involves nothing but team sports, watch her closely, and feel free to give her a C or better yet a D.

THIS is exactly the problem with AP classes and the bullshit grading scales that they create. It’s nothing but grade inflation.

I can’t wait till she gets into school – she’ll have her e-mail listed in the school directory and she’s getting a letter from me!
    :mad: :angryv: :mad: :shadow1:
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Ack. Those people are starting to become as bad as mosquitoes, and just as common.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    /\
    ||

What he said
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I have to agree about her reasons for doing such charitable things being a little fuzzy. It's good that she did them, but she does sound like the sort of person who does them for herself more than for others. The world's full of people like that.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Egoism. It leads to hatred. Its the most evil feeling I know of. The world would be a much better place without it.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    little miss will get her comeuppance...

one day she'll step on someone on her climb to the top.... and they'll teach her humility.

and all the prom dress PR bullcrap will fall away and the world will see the ugly little toad for what she is.

heres hoping shes stripped of valedictorian status... it would be all too easy to review her academic record and mark her down just enough points to f@#% her in the arse.

or on review of the other students... mark them up...

suddenly theres no contest...

or just award her the 'biggest ego' award for 2003
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    CFS is also the easiest condition to fake....

all that extra study time not taking gym class probably helped... not to mention she could take my GPA enhancing subjects instead...

I bet shes pissed that the school district turned her 'Ace in the hole' into a joker....

bitch...

soul free nasty golddigger ho...
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    That puny little brat is in need of some serious bitch-slapping.

:p :D

Seriously..... she'd need a good lesson, a lesson of respect.

- PJH
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    Re: What is the World Coming To??

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rhett [/i]
    [B]I would, personally, bitch slap this whore if I ever met her. I am sorry- but this is exactly what the world does not need. [/B][/QUOTE]

Rhett... man that MADE my day! :)
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Re: Re: What is the World Coming To??

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyvar [/i]
    [B]Rhett... man that MADE my day! :) [/B][/QUOTE]

He he he... Glad to be of service... And believe me I would do it too... :D Id make an exception to my rule of not hitting girls...

Who thinks we should start one of those online petitions to have her admission status's changed to "rejected, bitch"? Im seriously all for a campaign to make sure she does not:
    A) Get admitted
    B) Be Valedictorian.

There is nothing that I hate more than people who play the game to get a high GPA. I am going to work my ass off and take what classes I want to take. This includes non weighed classes that could jeapordize my class rank. And you know what? I could care less. I would rather make myself a better person by being a part of ASB and taking Journalism classes than playing the "GPA game".

So whos with me for the petition idea? Or the massive spam letter campaign? Im seriously willing to organize it if you guys (or girls- or whatever the hell you are :D) think it would be worth it.
  • Reading stuff like that makes me sad. It also reminds me why I'm an underachiever--people I've known like that who made me want to [B]not[/B] be how they are.

The worst thing is that people are like that for no real reason. I mean, it's easy enough to get into college (or whatnot) with significantly less work...so much work going to waste.

I wonder how she's going to react when she runs across other people who do as much as she does? Will she be hoping she can throw around some more lawsuits when she's not number one then?
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Konrad [/i]
    [B]I’ve found that people like her, but not her for certain, do those “nice” things like the prom dress drive JUST to pad their resumes. There is no honest caring or feeling behind it. What a crock. I think I can guess what her “character” is right now.[/B][/QUOTE]

Which reminds me...

[url=http://www.theonion.com/onion3912/soup-kitchen.html]Soup-Kitchen Volunteers Hate College-Application-Padding Brat[/url]