Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Babylon 5 3rd Season DVD set available for pre-order

Well, the Babylon 5 Shop is really on a roll. They already have the Babylon 5 3rd Season DVD set available
for pre-order! The cover looks really cool!! :)

Check it out at the link below.

[url]http://www.UncomynGifts.com/Main/Recreation_Room/Babylon-5/DVDs/Season3/index.html[/url]

Comments

• RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Looks very cool.
  • Yeah, the cover does look great, doesn't it?

This may be my favorite Babylon 5 DVD set box cover so far. :)
  • Well, the word is that the 3rd season DVD set should be shipping out
    in about 2 weeks or so. Can't wait till the box arrives! :)
  • Guys, what is the picture quality of the Season 1 and 2 DVD box sets? (I was very disappointed with the In the Beginning DVD, which had a suprising grainy picture quality.)

Regards,
    Morden
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    It varies considerably from episode to episode, and even shot to shot. In general it's pretty good, but there are some shots where it's blurry and others where it is grainy. It just depends on how well that particular piece of film was stored. We know that WB didn't exactly take good care of the film stock.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]It just depends on how well that particular piece of film was stored. We know that WB didn't exactly take good care of the film stock. [/B][/QUOTE]

I thought all of the tapes would have been digitally remastered for the DVD to overcome poor picture quality, no matter how they were stored originally.

Regards,
    Morden
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Digital remastering won't fix film that was eaten by rats.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Digital remastering won't fix film that was eaten by rats. [/B][/QUOTE]

Jesus, do Warner Brothers treat any of its other serials as badly as it did B5? :rolleyes:

Regards,
    Morden
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Okay, I feel I need to make some corrections here....

First, the rat problem only applies to The Gathering, and even then only in relation to creating the Special Edition of The Gathering that first aired on TNT. Such problems don't apply to these sets.

The problem with the blurriness and graininess in these sets results from using the originally aired transfers whenever there are composite shots, effects shots, or edits -- in simpler terms, any time what you see on the screen wasn't [i]exactly[/i] what the camera recorded, the originally aired transfers were just cropped from 4:3 to 16:9 to create the widescreen versions. This was done because 1) they don't have the resources to re-do all the special effects, and 2) WB opted not to re-do the editing. The result is that any time you see credits, fades between scenes (instead of straight cuts), PPG fire, establishing shots with CG elements (for example, the garden), or anything similar, you're seeing a cropped and zoomed version of the 4:3 broadcast. This has the effect of magnifying all the errors in the film, including grain and blurriness.

For most eps, this isn't much of a problem, since most scenes are shown exactly as filmed, and most cuts are just straight cuts from one scene to the next. "And Now, For a Word," however, is an absolute mess because of all the scenes with extra elements in the frame, such as the little bars across the bottom of the screen that give character names and the like. I would love to see that one re-edited for widescreen, since most of those elements could be re-created without the CG models that WB lost.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]"And Now, For a Word," however, is an absolute mess because of all the scenes with extra elements in the frame, such as the little bars across the bottom of the screen that give character names and the like. I would love to see that one re-edited for widescreen, since most of those elements could be re-created without the CG models that WB lost. [/B][/QUOTE]

Bloody hell, my favorite episode of Season 2 and it's been messed up... Glad i've still got the bugger on video. :rolleyes:

Bekenn, do you think this will be a problem with the other ISN documentary style episode "The Illusion of Truth" from series 4?

Regards,
    Morden