Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

NAT, LAN, and Routers oh MY! (aka Tech Time I: The fellowship of the eathernet).

croxiscroxis I am the walrus
When i cam home this summer my father announced that we will be wiring out house for 10/100 LAN. While this is nice networks are my weakest point. Currently our network run off a hub with my dad's computer with the modem (and the evil Windows Internet Connection Sharing). Not I hear of things called routers and NATs (running linux) and switchers, except I have no idea what these things are. SO please educate me :-)

Comments

• BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    NAT: Network Address Translation

This is a type of firewall that differentiates between your IP address as it appears to the outside world and your IP address within your own intranet. Other computers linked directly to yours might see you as 192.168.0.1, while computers outside your intranet would see you as 43.54.116.97.

There are a few different types of NAT, namely M:M (Many to Many) and 1:M (One to Many). With 1:M NAT, you can actually have multiple computers share one IP address. Within the intranet, they'll all have separate IPs, but they'll all use the same IP address to talk to the outside world. Windows Internet Connection Sharing is one form of this.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    1. Get old computer (P200 works well) with 2 network cards.
    2. Connect modem to one card, internal network to other.
    3. Install Linux.
    4. Download and use Shorewall, the easiest way to set up a good, solid firewall.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Shorewall kicks ASS!!!

;) :D

I'm using Mandrake 9.1 distro...

When I installed as server, it also set up shorewall for me during the install...

SHWEET!!!
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Well! I have leared something here today also, sweet! :)
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]1. Get old computer (P200 works well) with 2 network cards.
    2. Connect modem to one card, internal network to other.
    3. Install Linux.
    4. Download and use Shorewall, the easiest way to set up a good, solid firewall. [/B][/QUOTE]

You forgot:

5. ???
    6. PROFIT!

;)
    Step 5 is Take over the world.
  • JamboJambo Scriptkiddie
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by CurZ [/i]
    [B]You forgot:

5. ???
    6. PROFIT!

;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Underpants!
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    OK, so I have an old 133 P1, will that work?

Also, does the modem have to be external or can it be internal and replace the 2nd network card? (I know about winmodems and stuff like that). Also will each computer be able to remotly connect and disconnect the modem?
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Wait a minute... you mean you're [i]not[/i] replacing an old, cruddy dial-up modulator/demodulator with, say, cable or DSL??

Are you friggin' NUTS?
  • KeyanKeyan Ranger
    It's not worth all of that if you are still on a modem, you might as well just use ICS.

Routers and such are more of an "always on" concern kinda thing, for modem users they are pretty pointless.
    When you started going on about routers and so forth I assumed you had an always on connection. :)
    With a modem, there's no point in really bothering if you already have a satisfactory situation. You can set up a linux computer (a P133 will do) to be a router and firewall with an internal 56k modem (assuming said modem works in linux) or an external modem and provide connection sharing. I did it myself for about a year before going on to DSL. Remotely connecting and disconnecting the modem is a tad tricky, though. In the end I wrote a client/server program to handle it for me. Each person on their own computer would log into the server/firewall using this program. They could then see who else was using the connection, and connect/disconnect it. Plus it gave fortunes.
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    soooooooooo wait

so next year at school when i wanna share my one internet connection (t1) i could use my old ass p133 16mb ram as a router type thing OR shell out a 100bucks and buy a router to use?

yea answer that one smartypants.

WE ARE THE UNDERPANTS GNOMES!
    [B]Plus it gave fortunes. [/B][/QUOTE]

:D
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rogue Trader [/i]
    [B]soooooooooo wait

so next year at school when i wanna share my one internet connection (t1) i could use my old ass p133 16mb ram as a router type thing OR shell out a 100bucks and buy a router to use?

yea answer that one smartypants.

WE ARE THE UNDERPANTS GNOMES! [/B][/QUOTE]

Simple. Use the P133 and save yourself $100. Consider your question answered.
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Stay tuned for part two and three of the trilogy:

[i]The Two Routers[/i]

and the stunning conclusion:

[i]Return of the Firewall[/i]
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [B]Simple. Use the P133 and save yourself $100. Consider your question answered. [/B][/QUOTE]

Heck with a p133. My router is a 486 50mhz machine running FreeSCO

And one of the BEST machines to use as a linux router, is an IBM PS/2 386, with 2 microchannel ethernet cards.
    but the machine is big and bulky and slower then crap.

but i guess if i use the 'linux' thing it may not matter.

i suspect im the stupidest member at firstones when it comes to computers.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Ahhhh, me sees. Is there any alternative to Windows ICS? It majorly sucks.

(Now if my Dad wasn't downsized, we would have the money for broad band. But sence money is tight...... enough whining on my part)
    Yes, there are alternatives. All the windows ones require money though. There are ones available for linux, and most of those are open source.

[B]but the machine is big and bulky and slower then crap.

but i guess if i use the 'linux' thing it may not matter.

i suspect im the stupidest member at firstones when it comes to computers. [/B][/QUOTE]

Since you won't be using it directly, this isn't a problem. It's more than fast enough to be a router.
  • KeyanKeyan Ranger
    hmm, a 4x5x2" router or an entire extra PC in your dorm room? I would think the answer to this question is simple. And you can get straight router/firewalls (no wireless) for about $60.......
    i was looking at a wireless router hub thingee. cuz my second computer is a laptop, so wireless broadband would be awesome.

hows about this [URL=http://www.pcconnection.com/scripts/productdetail.asp?product_id=310298]one[/URL]
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I have a much better suggestion.

First, Don't buy linksys. Ever. I've repeatedly bought their products, and ended up returning them for hardware deficiencies.

Second, Buy D-Link. Their products are dirt cheap, incredibly reliable, and their customer support is just...wow. Not only that, But their router config is very easy and straightforward, but their card drivers do not require any special applications to configure (a major plus).

There's also a pakcage I purchased, came with one card and a wireless router (DWL-614+, I think). The two combined can be used to reach speeds of up to 22 megabits per second, too. They are all wifi certified, as well.
    D-Link make great stuff. I have one of their firewalling, routing DSL modems. Not that I actually use the firewalling or routing part, since a Linux router is infinitely more configurable and flexible, and easier to maintain too. But the modem part is great. :)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Keyan [/i]
    [B]hmm, a 4x5x2" router or an entire extra PC in your dorm room? I would think the answer to this question is simple. And you can get straight router/firewalls (no wireless) for about $60....... [/B][/QUOTE]

Hmmmm a 4x5x2 Router for $50-$100 bucks
    Or an entire extra PC in your dorm room that you can prolly get for free. Yep, you are right, the answer is very very simple.

Why would you spend $60 on a router, when 486's are being given or thrown away left and right, Heck, I've got 4 486's sitting here that are in perfect contition that i found sitting on the street being thrown out.

Don't waste your money on an NAT router.
    [B]D-Link make great stuff. I have one of their firewalling, routing DSL modems. Not that I actually use the firewalling or routing part, since a Linux router is infinitely more configurable and flexible, and easier to maintain too. But the modem part is great. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

If you HAVE to have an NAT router, I like the SMC's, i had 2 SMC barricades before i had to switch to a linux router, the first one was great cause it had its own print server and modem port, so if your DSL/Cable went off line, it would autodial in via dialup.

and the 2nd one i liked cause it was WiFi.

I've never used the D-Link routers, but i do use D-Link NIC's, and they are very nice. Netgear makes decent hubs/switches.
    well link me to a dlink router with wi-fi capable AND works for both mac and pc.

yea, find that and get a magic mushroom.
    My friend has one like that. He thought he was getting a normal DSL modem/router, but due to a mixup at the wholesaler he got one with a wireless hub built in as well.
    [B]My friend has one like that. He thought he was getting a normal DSL modem/router, but due to a mixup at the wholesaler he got one with a wireless hub built in as well. [/B][/QUOTE]

The only problem i had with my wireless, was that when i had both the wireless router and my wireless access point on at the same time, only one of them worked. Go figure.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [B]well link me to a dlink router with wi-fi capable AND works for both mac and pc.

yea, find that and get a magic mushroom. [/B][/QUOTE]

DWL-614+

I use it upstairs. :D

Works great with my dad's iBook (on airport and ethernet) and all of my PC systems. Using my laptop through 802.11b right now.

Is that good enough? :D
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

I have a LinkSys 10/100 5 port Switch Hub that works like a champ...

I used to have a D-Link 5 port Workgroup hub before that that only did 10 Mbits...

?