Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

my exams

ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie."London, UK
Its coming to the end of that time of year again of the dreaded exams. I only had 3 spread evenly over 2 weeks this time, as opposed to the 7 I had in 2 weeks when I was in edinburgh before I switched course from geology to do radiography in Aberdeen (a shithole btw, if u ever have the chance to visit.....dont!). The first two exams I had were fairly easy and what you would expect for a medical-type course (anatomy and physiology, and pathology) but the last one is the one I really want to have a rant about now! :D

Sociology and Psychology. To be truthful, radiography is a kind of glorified photography with some very expensive pieces of equipment; the patient comes in, sits/lies/etc in from of the x-ray machine or MRI or whatever, I push a few buttons and we're all done.

So why on earth do I kneed to know how a patient's social class background is going to affect their health, or the models of learning theory, or how their beliefs affect their behaviour?!? Its bloody Politically Correct bullshit that the PC lobby is pushing on the rest of us to try to waste more time and money. Why am I having to learn this crap, when I could be learning about things that Im actually going to be using in practice?

[SIZE=1]Basically I can't be bothered studying right now, so Im procrastinating :D[/SIZE]

Comments

• MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Hehe, my brother had the same reaction. But I guess its good when you meet the patients, you know some about why it could be. Then again, there is a little too much PC all over right now..
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    maybe, but to be honest i dont care where the patient comes from, how rich they are, what sex they are and all that crap.

all the patient wants is for me to be good at my job, treat them well and get on with it. there, thats the essence of the whole course distilled into 1 sentence. :rolleyes:
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Well now you know how to answer the exam. :)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    somehow i dont think thats the answer they're going to be looking for ;)

unlike my other exams, im not aiming to do well in this one. as long as i just pass it i'll be happy. and then i dont have to do any more on this crap (for a while at least i think). on a slightly more worrying note, i get let loose on the x-ray machine in about 3 weeks.....and on patients in just over 3 months :eek:
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    I *still* find this exams after Christmas stuff weird.. how can you not worry about your exams over break? It would ruin my holidays.. I love being finished before hand
    We don't have that problem here. Universities finish by mid November and don't start again till the beginning of March unless you're foolish enough to do summer school (which begins in early January). :)
    when i was in edinburgh we also had our exams before xmas, so yeah it is a little weird having them after. it doesnt ruin the holiday if you do enough studying before hand ;)
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Biggles: well you are just weird ;)
    well, my time of procrastination has nearly come to an end. in 12 hours i'll be starting the exam, and in approximately 20mins time i expect i will be leaving the exam hall :D

whats the worst that can happen? they can only fail me! besides, its only 1st year, it cant be that hard.

[SIZE=1]can it?[/SIZE]
    :D
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dax [/i]
    [B]Biggles: well you are just weird ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Not at all, this is standard practice for universities here, and it's not just NZ either. :) Look at the dates for yourself:

[url]http://www.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/for/currentstudents/academiclife/academic-dates/2007-academic-dates.cfm[/url]
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    *sigh* sarcasm is apparently lost :P
  • @shadow dancer you sound like your going to be a social worker?
    *cough* *choke* *splutter* you mean deal with people like you?!? i dont think so! :D :p

nah im training to be a radiographer, but as part of the politically correct crap they sling at us these days we have to do a course in basic psychology and sociology to try and "understand the patients and their needs" which tbh i think i understand pretty well already.

1)they're going to be in pain
    2)they're going to need a doctor
    3)they dont want me standing there giving them false sympathy
    4)instead of standing there giving said false sympathy, get on and do my f**king job

simple:rolleyes: