Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

bikes

ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie."London, UK
Specifically motorbikes. Does anyone here know anything about them or ride one? I'm currently seriously thinking about getting my licence and getting a bike. I've always wanted to learn to ride, but never been able to really afford it till now. I can drive already, and have been for 4 1/2 years, but cars are just so damn expensive and I've no real love for driving, but looking at bikes I think I'd enjoy it. Yeah I know it's way more dangerous than a car, but I'm not a risk taker and not at all a fan of going fast, so I figure that if I have an accident it's likely going to be from something unavoidable, in which case its not going to make much difference.

So, any comments?

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    One of my friends got a bike a year or so ago. One observation he made was that it's very easy to go faster on a bike than is safe or you would in a car. Why this is the case, neither of us could say, but something to watch out for. Keep an eye on that speedo.

The biggest benefit of a bike is that fuel consumption is significantly lower, and they're far easier to park.
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    I don't want to be negative, but I have yet to hear a good story about someone owning a motorcycle. EVERYONE (seriously, everyone) I know who has owned one has wrecked it at some point, usually injuring themselves pretty severely.

Also, don't you live in Scotland? I know it's a stereotype, but doesn't it rain an awful lot there? Motorcycles and rain are way no good together.

Maybe I'm just a big wuss. ;)
  • MungrelMungrel Earthforce Officer
    I guess it depends on what sort of bike you are thinking about, the traffic conditions you will ride in and if it's ya daily mode of transport or just for fun.

Is the cost factor the main reason?

[QUOTE=ShadowDancer;158624]but I'm not a risk taker and not at all a fan of going fast[/QUOTE]
    You are one of the minority then :) .You take a risk every time you ride!

[QUOTE=ShadowDancer;158624]in which case its not going to make much difference.[/QUOTE]
    There's a big difference between driving a car and riding a bike when u have an accident. Make sure you get good health insurance!

I don't ride anymore, i don't miss the bad weather or the bugs and i have more respect for being able to walk. :D Besides, i like my car's heater, my cd player and my legs!
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Live like everyone with a car is out to kill you when you're on a bike. A friend told me that people can pull weird turns and stuff right in front of him because they don't check their mirrors or blind spots enough for bikes. A car you see much more easily, but a bike can hide in some angles.
    But bikes are fun, been thinking of getting one myself, but can't afford one at the moment.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Ive been thinking of getting one for several years, but its too expensive for me right now..
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    tough to weigh up

I'd start with typical use.

How far do you go every day ? Through what sort of weather ? On what sort of roads ?

In other words, pick the mode of transport best suited to your needs.

Bikes are great for being naughty and making the proverbial 3rd lane to sneak past stacks of cars. They can cut peak hour travel times by half.

They carry bugger all aside from you unless you buy panniers.

Nothing is more nimble, or fast than a bike.

They take far more skill to ride than it does to drive a car.

They are cheap.

They can be dangerous, esp when surrounded by ignorant, dumb, selfish drivers.

If you do get a bike, buy a Super Motard or Supermoto... absolutely the best of both worlds. Good handling, speed, looks and creditable off-road performance. Husqvarna, KTM and Honda and Kawazaki, do good ones.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE=Biggles;158626]The biggest benefit of a bike is that fuel consumption is significantly lower, and they're far easier to park.[/QUOTE]

that and the cost of insurance are why im thinking of a bike not a car

[QUOTE=Space Ghost;158629]I don't want to be negative, but I have yet to hear a good story about someone owning a motorcycle. EVERYONE (seriously, everyone) I know who has owned one has wrecked it at some point, usually injuring themselves pretty severely.

Also, don't you live in Scotland? I know it's a stereotype, but doesn't it rain an awful lot there? Motorcycles and rain are way no good together.[/QUOTE]

true, but everyone i know from school who drives has done the same (in fact out of a year of 150 folk i can think of 1 other person besides me who hasnt had an accident

the west coast is pretty much like the stereotype, but over here on the east coast it's a lot drier but proportionally colder most of the time.

[QUOTE=Mungrel;158630]Is the cost factor the main reason?

There's a big difference between driving a car and riding a bike when u have an accident. Make sure you get good health insurance!
    [/QUOTE]

yeah it is pretty much; definitely cant afford a car for the amount i'd need to use it, but a bike would be perfect. and as for health insurance, we've got the NHS mate :)

[QUOTE=C_Mon;158631]Live like everyone with a car is out to kill you when you're on a bike. A friend told me that people can pull weird turns and stuff right in front of him because they don't check their mirrors or blind spots enough for bikes. A car you see much more easily, but a bike can hide in some angles.
    But bikes are fun, been thinking of getting one myself, but can't afford one at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've been practising checking those spots when I drive to get a feel for them, which I think is an advantage of being able to drive already: i should be more aware of where they are when on a bike

[QUOTE=shadow boxer;158638]tough to weigh up

I'd start with typical use.

How far do you go every day ? Through what sort of weather ? On what sort of roads ?

In other words, pick the mode of transport best suited to your needs.
    [/Quote]

basically i'd be running back and forth to uni most of the time, which would be totally impractical in a car, not for the distance but for the parking and all the permits to park at the flat and at uni (about £350+), which you dont need for a bike.

[QUOTE=shadow boxer;158638]Bikes are great for being naughty and making the proverbial 3rd lane to sneak past stacks of cars. They can cut peak hour travel times by half.

They carry bugger all aside from you unless you buy panniers.

Nothing is more nimble, or fast than a bike.

They take far more skill to ride than it does to drive a car.

They are cheap.

They can be dangerous, esp when surrounded by ignorant, dumb, selfish drivers.

If you do get a bike, buy a Super Motard or Supermoto... absolutely the best of both worlds. Good handling, speed, looks and creditable off-road performance. Husqvarna, KTM and Honda and Kawazaki, do good ones.[/QUOTE]

well Im definitely thinking more along the lines of getting a cruiser, so getting panniers wouldnt be an issue, and i've already mentioned about other drivers. and dont forget the coolness factor tho! :)
    What sort of cruiser?
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    a fairly inexpensive one :D

seriously, i dont really know. it probably won't be too powerful, kawasaki do a fairly respectable 125cc. it depends what i can afford really but for a first bike i dont want anything too powerful, even tho i will be able to ride anything including 500cc+
    Good idea going for a smaller bike. You probably would be in trouble starting off with a ZXR 750 or something, their pretty expensive to buy and maintain.
    Be careful though, modern 125's and 250's scream these days, but can be equally expensive and difficult to ride.

Btw, all this talk about bikes is getting me 'wanting' for another bike! :D
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE=Mungrel;158692]Good idea going for a smaller bike. You probably would be in trouble starting off with a ZXR 750 or something, their pretty expensive to buy and maintain.
    Be careful though, modern 125's and 250's scream these days, but can be equally expensive and difficult to ride.

Btw, all this talk about bikes is getting me 'wanting' for another bike! :D[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt reccomend a 750 for someon's first bike. I've owned several the most recent alas was about 7 years ago, i owned a 1985 Yamaha Maxim 450, that was a sweet bike. I sure miss it, but i sold it before i moved to NYC. This summer i'm definately buying a new one.

As to whoever said that they've never known anyone to own a bike and not wreck, i've owned 3 motorcycles, ranging from the Maxim 450 crusier, an Xt250, and a little 125, and the only one i've ever had not in an upright position, was the XT, and that was only when i dumped it because the kickstand sank into hot tar. If you ride safe, you are much less likely to wreck.

My advice, Go get your permit, go to a bike dealer and check out a couple different bikes of different sizes, see what feels comfortable, ALWAYS wear a helmet, and unlike in a car, remember that you are small and less visible, so you have to be much more aware of cars around you.

But there is nothing like having a bike.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I actually read an article about motorcycles yesterday and there was a point I thought was interesting. They said that when you are turning with a bike you actually get as wide as a car, so they just wanted to point out that in turns you're not on a small bike anymore and can't get through small gaps as easily.
    [QUOTE=Entil'Zha;158695]I wouldnt reccomend a 750 for someon's first bike. I've owned several the most recent alas was about 7 years ago, i owned a 1985 Yamaha Maxim 450, that was a sweet bike. I sure miss it, but i sold it before i moved to NYC. This summer i'm definately buying a new one.

As to whoever said that they've never known anyone to own a bike and not wreck, i've owned 3 motorcycles, ranging from the Maxim 450 crusier, an Xt250, and a little 125, and the only one i've ever had not in an upright position, was the XT, and that was only when i dumped it because the kickstand sank into hot tar. If you ride safe, you are much less likely to wreck.

My advice, Go get your permit, go to a bike dealer and check out a couple different bikes of different sizes, see what feels comfortable, ALWAYS wear a helmet, and unlike in a car, remember that you are small and less visible, so you have to be much more aware of cars around you.

But there is nothing like having a bike.[/QUOTE]

there's no way i'd get anything over 500cc for a first bike, and to be honest i probably wont go over 250 to start with. of course it all depends on how much i can get a decent bike for, given that i still am a student and dont have massive amounts of money to throw at this. i might wait to get a bike until after i finish placement in june to get one, as i wont be earning money for the month im away (on the other hand, turning up on a bike to hospital every day would impress the nurses :D)

we have to wear a helmet here anyway, and even in the car i drive i dont feel all that well protected, so i dont think im going to feel unduly uncomfortable being on a bike
    I loved my 450, not so much power that you'd be doing 150 before you know it, I also loved how much paid for it, granted this was 10 years ago, but i paid $400 for it, then over the next year put about $1000 of work into it. ended up selling it for $800.

But like i said, if you have the abillity to legally ride (permit or licence) go to a dealer, check out what feels comfortable, then try and find something like it used. i'm go ing to try and buy one this summer, or a boat, not sure which yet.

of course if i get a boat, my wife says i need to name it "Alimony"
    heh, my dad bought a yacht last summer, so really he's got no excuse for going on at me about 'expensive toys'!

yeah i'll definitely get the licence first, then look at getting a bike and try a few out first. then i'll see how much i can get one for 2nd hand maybe, as i doubt i'll be able to afford a brand new bike
    While not as expensive as cars, new ones can still be pricey, i'm not lookin for a Yacht, all i want is something small that maybe 4 or 5 of us can go out on the water in, I mean i DO live on an island, lol