Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

"Babylon 5: The Lost Tales" VFX Discussion (Spoilers)

124»

Comments

• I finally got to visit the USA border and bought a copy. Enjoyable couple of stories.

I liked the new computer graphics. Really nice job.

I have the impression that there is something wrong: diffuse shadows over B5. It's space, no one can hear you scream and for the same reason (no air) a beam of light does not diffract. There should leave sharp boundaries between lighted and non-lighted parts.

I may need to pay more attention but it seems that there are some soft shadows in space...

And we know that the Shadows are not soft!
  • Alec MAlec M Award Winning Poster
    Actually, light still bounces around in space, off one surface and onto others. Plus, B5 has a decent amount of lights around the structure. Also remember that it is near a planet, a huge and relatively diffuse (for space) light source. Take a look at some orbital photography of the space station or Shuttle as examples.

That being said, yes, it's not totally realistic. 100% realistic, "deep space" lighting in the pure sense looks really cartoony, graphic and fake on screen. It might be correct, but to the vast majority of audiences, it won't look correct. It's a dramatic sci-fi story after all, not a JPL/NASA mission animation.

Glad you enjoyed it none the less.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Plus, the local star will be large enough in the sky for shadows to diffuse at some distance, just like how the shadow of your finger will blur once it's more than a few feet away from whatever the shadow is being cast upon on a sunny day.
  • Hay Alec M have you gotten in touch with the B5 Podcast? I expect they would be quit happy to interview you.
  • Alec MAlec M Award Winning Poster
    No, I haven't. I cherish my position behind the cameras, or microphones....way behind.
  • Come on! The CGI people for the tv show did. Netter even was on the show! Ummm it will get your name out. Ya that. So do it. You can call me a jerk and get back at me on the air. Or not.

There number is 206-338-2259. Just call. They sed good things about your work.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Eh, I'd probably end up doing the same as Alec if I were in his position. Living behind the scenes and staying there can be so much more satisfying. You get to spend more time fiddling and less time talking. :p Though the though of telling off a forum member on a highly trafficked podcast would be appealing...
  • You get to talk about Alliance member ships and how all the best metals are gray. No matter what they are, they are gray. Even copper.

How the ship engines got smaller.

How I realy messed up on my viewing of the B5 station. You will get to call me an ass.

Summer sounds cute if that helps. Or Yarsto if it doesn't.

Just explaining your vision of the progress the Alliance would be good.
  • This show is about an hour long so just skip past the non 'over there' part if that is whats wanted. Theres some discussion on Alec M's work witch is why I posted this. :P
    There love of this DVD is infectious. ( Note: This is the 2ed part of there TLT critic. )

[url]http://www.babylonpodcast.com/2007/10/03/babylon-podcast-show-84/[/url]