Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

The Color Purple Wins!!!

Well go Figure they have chosen Purple to go with the 5!!!
After so many years i have decided to go with purple. Purple rules all!!!

The 5 looks familiar.

[url]http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/20/news/economy/abe_bill.ap/index.htm?postversion=2007092013[/url]

Comments

• Green still controls the other 5 major bills, and 10 if you include the rare bills
  • But purple is on the 5!!!!!!
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    And so we prove that Purple has Defeated the Green Dominance of Money!
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Are they [i]ever[/i] going update to the $1? It's like three generations behind all the other bills, now, and it's getting stupid. Maybe they should focus some of the energy they spend trying to get people to start circulating the $1 coins into that.
  • My god I couldn't imagine my pocket full of 1 dollar coins... ugg..
  • defeated? its still 5 to 1 odds in Greens favor, not to mention, purple on the 5 bill itself is SURRPUNDED by green. it's like a foothold in a small outlaying position in the middle of no where surrounded by the enemy! LOL
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I think they are trying to say purple is on the 5 like Babylon 5, but I care not. The 5 euro is green.
  • Purple on the 5 today and who knows whats next tommorow. All green dollars has had it day and its over. Purple Rules!!!!!!
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [QUOTE=David of Mac;165196]Are they [i]ever[/i] going update to the $1? It's like three generations behind all the other bills, now, and it's getting stupid. Maybe they should focus some of the energy they spend trying to get people to start circulating the $1 coins into that.[/QUOTE]

Updating the $1 bill is a logistical nightmare. the $5 is going to be bad enough, but with the upgrade of the $1 means upgrading every single electronic receptacle and bill scanner across the entire country to accept it before circulating the new bills. There are relatively few scanning systems that look for bills in $100 and $50, with a few more scanning for $20 and a handful more for $10. The real difficulty comes in with $5 and $1, but only a small portion of scanners accept $5 versus those that take the smaller bill.

I'm still not sold on the new bills. they just don't look quite as nice as the old greenbacks.
  • Blah... I hardly ever carry cash on me anyway. Yay debt cards!
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE=Trident;165197]My god I couldn't imagine my pocket full of 1 dollar coins... ugg..[/QUOTE]Agree, there was enough work in counting those cents while in there.
    Paper money is much easier to keep organized.

In "east neighbour" you're again counting piles of paper money, got three hundred bills left from trip to Moscow... worth little over three euros per piece. :p
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I'm quite happy with $1 and $2 coins, and being able to differentiate the $5, $10, $20 and $100 notes by colour alone.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    The reason why $1 bills are not "updated" is that they are rarely counter fitted.
  • Heh, my debit card is green, but my credit card is purple.
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    Yeah I can't see many counterfeiters bleaching 10's to make fake 1's :D
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    I've always loved the AU currency.

We make sensible money.

They are polymer which is well nigh impossible to counterfeit. Strong vibrant colours and most importantly bill sizes which increase with face value, so you never end up handing over the wrong bill by mistake.

$1 and $2 coins are also great, I even like our much maligned, crinkle cut 50c piece.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    [I]Blah... I hardly ever carry cash on me anyway. Yay debt cards![/I]

you mean [B][I]debit[/I][/B] cards don't you... credit cards are 'debt' cards... ;)
    [QUOTE=shadow boxer;165226]We make sensible money.[/QUOTE]

[i]Mostly[/i] sensible money. The $1 coin being larger than the $2 coin doesn't make much sense. :p
  • [QUOTE=C_Mon;165199]I think they are trying to say purple is on the 5 like Babylon 5, but I care not. The 5 euro is green.[/QUOTE]
    Actually, the 5 euro bill is dominantly grey and 100 euro is green. However, the 500 euro banknote is purple... :p
    [QUOTE=Sanfam;165205]Updating the $1 bill is a logistical nightmare. the $5 is going to be bad enough, but with the upgrade of the $1 means upgrading every single electronic receptacle and bill scanner across the entire country to accept it before circulating the new bills. There are relatively few scanning systems that look for bills in $100 and $50, with a few more scanning for $20 and a handful more for $10. The real difficulty comes in with $5 and $1, but only a small portion of scanners accept $5 versus those that take the smaller bill.

I'm still not sold on the new bills. they just don't look quite as nice as the old greenbacks.[/QUOTE]
    It's pretty expensive to reprint those bills because there are just so many of them. Although I guess that just the same it might be easy to replace them since one's are recirculated the most frequently, every 18 months.
    [QUOTE=shadow boxer;165226]I've always loved the AU currency.

We make sensible money.

They are polymer which is well nigh impossible to counterfeit. Strong vibrant colours and most importantly bill sizes which increase with face value, so you never end up handing over the wrong bill by mistake.[/QUOTE]

See, I'd hate that, because I always keep my money folded in half, with the smallest denomination on the outside, and the largest on the inside, both for organization and so it's hard to tell if I'm carrying a lot of money. Having big $20 bills sticking out of the middle would ruin my system. And since the only time I've ever handed over the wrong amount of money is because I misheard what I was being charged.

And plastic money freaks me out. It feels like it's covered in packing tape.
    Very well sir, you are correct.
    [QUOTE=Eclecticonaut;165234]Actually, the 5 euro bill is dominantly grey and 100 euro is green. However, the 500 euro banknote is purple... :p[/QUOTE]

very well sir
  • [QUOTE=shadow boxer;165227][I]Blah... I hardly ever carry cash on me anyway. Yay debt cards![/I]

you mean [B][I]debit[/I][/B] cards don't you... credit cards are 'debt' cards... ;)[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec-5vjD4eZY[/url]
    I remember learning from an interview on "Fresh Air" that people like me, who pay their bills on time and in full, are called "deadbeats" by the credit card companies.
  • I use my credit card the same as a check. I don't use it to spend money I haven't got in the bank.

Still they give me a free card.
    [QUOTE=David of Mac;165253]I remember learning from an interview on "Fresh Air" that people like me, who pay their bills on time and in full, are called "deadbeats" by the credit card companies.[/QUOTE]
    If you're paying on time then you aren't paying insane interest rates then somebody is not getting rich. How irresponsible of you. You must spend more! Buy Buy Buy! Hmm... I guess that makes me a deadbeat too.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Even if you are paying ontime, someone is getting rich, remember the person who accepts your card is losing money as well,. we lose 3.5% of every credit card sale, just for the privilidge of accepting Visa/Mastercard (amex/discover was well over 4.5% which is why we dont take them anymore)
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    I don't get why people don't like dollar coins. Ok, granted the Susan B Anthony dollar coin wasn't large enough and is VERY easy to mistake for a quarter in your pocket, but I have absolutely no problem with coins. I don't like paper money at all, it's too easy to lose and too easy to destroy, not to mention fake. Though, this conversation does bring back the amusing memory of my trip to England and trying to fit all my pound coins in my then skinny wallet. :D
    We, like Australia, have not just a $1 coin, but a $2 coin as well. We also, like Australia, [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_dollar]use polymer notes[/url], which are actually difficult to destroy (they will quite happily go through the washing machine any number of times) and extremely difficult to fake.

Of course, this is all becoming increasingly irrelevant, given [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eftpos#New_Zealand]how little we actually use cash[/url].