Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

'Ender' Series by Orson Scott Card

I JUST finished reading "Shadow of the Giant" by Orson Scott Card. The last in the 2 parallel quartets about Andrew 'Ender' Wiggin.

Fan-tastic.

I read 'Ender's Game' a long time ago when I was in University and when I was at Tor last Spring I picked up the whole series of 8 books. I had been reading through them slowly but surely- they are soo great.

I didn't think that I would like the 'shadow' series as much as the original but I would rank them (as my faves) as such:

1. Ender's Game
2. Ender's Shadow
3. Shadow of the Giant
4. Speaker for the Dead
5. Xenocide
6. Shadow of the Hegemon
7. Shadow Puppets
8. Children of the Mind

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Wow that is really freaky!!! I have literally just put down my copy of Ender's Shadow to come on here! Crazy!

And yes I agree, it is an awesome series!
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Wow. awesome!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Totally!
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    I keep meaning to get back to the rest of the Ender series. Read Ender's Game - excellent. But I keep getting tied up with other books.
  • I still have to read (and buy first!) the last "shadow" series book... overall I think it's a great duo of series.

Actually Card is one of my favorite SF authors, though I don't plan to read his fantasy books, the science-fiction ones are usually great.

There are a few additional short stories collected as "First Meetings in the Enderverse", maybe the most interesting one is the story about Ender meeting Jane (originally it appeared in another anthology: Far Horizons), it also includes the original Ender's Game novella. Not a bad book, but not essential IMO.

I wonder if the Ender movie will finally be made in this lifetime...
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Well, they are still trying to do an Ender's Game movie, but they still don't have a screenplay that Card likes. As a result, as I last heard, he was writing it himself. The biggest issue is the age of the main character: he changes greatly over the length of the book.

Card himself is a very diverse writer. The Ender series is the only one he's written in SciFi. He's done theater, screenplays, and novels all over the various genres, though.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    oh I just started "First Meetings" before bed last night
    I also heard he was writing the screen play himself.
    I was very fortunate to meet his editor at Tor, although I would have rather met him ;)
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I liked Ender's Game but I found the following books got increasingly less enjoyable :(

I haven't read any of the Shadow books, something I should do at some point.

Worf
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I likewise found the sequels less enjoyable, but the Shadow books are (so far) just as good as Ender's Game
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Yeah I feel the same way the rest of Ender's series is good in one way, but the Shadow series is really good.
    Series to series I think I like the Shadow series better.