Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Rock Band and Guitar Hero 3

So I tried out Rock Band for the first time last night (we get ours tomorrow) and I have been a Guitar Hero fan for a while- GH3 is pretty cool- what do you all think?

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I suspect it's going to add to the nightmare of "Parts nobody knows what to do with" in five years ;) And here I thought the Mario Paint Mouse was bad...

Still, I'd love to give it a good shot. I'm just not good enough at precise motor skill to make guitar hero work for me, so Rock Band seems like it'll offer up some variation that may enhance playability. All they need to do is integrate a DDR pad and the performance is complete.
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    Mario Paint! I have some fond memories from that game.

I like Guitar Hero I just suck at it.
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    I played Guitar Hero. It turns out that in addition to no actual musical talent, I don't have any ability to play a musician in a video game either.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    guitar hero is fun. The trick is to not get confused. Guitar hero has absolutely NOTHING to do with being musical, playing the guitar, carrying a tune, or playing a song. Its a game, the borky fisher price "guitar" is a controller and your pushing buttons.

My neighbors got me into guitar hero. We were at the store together and they made me try it. I am good at it because I am a gamer. They aren't because they are casual gamers, but they like it anyway, they just call me over to beat the bosses on GH3.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Space Ghost;168730]I played Guitar Hero. It turns out that in addition to no actual musical talent, I don't have any ability to play a musician in a video game either.[/QUOTE]

No real musical talent, no virtual musical talent?
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    My dad has both guitar hero 2 and singstar. Guess he should get rockband too, huh?
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Although the colored buttons do make the GH guitar toy-ish I would disagree about musical talent, if you do not have musical talent then you will still suck at GH but if you have a bit you might do better... The rock band guitar is pretty neat, it looks a lot cooler than the GH one.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Musical background can be helpful. Guitar Hero and DDR are rhythm games so knowing how to move fingers (and for marching, feet) in time are obvious benefits. However one may be good at rhythm but have no other musical talent (pitch, dynamics, etc), which is not needed for Guitar Hero.
    Now you see Dax, I have to disagree. I cannot carry a tune in a bucket with a lid on it. I just can't. My wife says Im tone deaf. I can't sing on key, I never leaned to play a musical instrument outside of the recorder in the 4th grade, and I always managed to make that sound like I was jumping on a duck.

I am however, a gamer. So to me, its just a game, and a controller. It may be a tad awkward at first, especially at medium difficulty when you have to move your pinky finger, but once you understand it, its not so bad.
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=Biggles;168739]No real musical talent, no virtual musical talent?[/QUOTE]

Yes. ;)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    SpiritOne: out of interest, have you ever tried jumping on a duck to see what it sounded like?

I have absolutely no musical talent at all, and I'm tone deaf and cant sing to save my life. I let none of that stop me from (attempting to) play the bass guitar and sing in the shower :D
    You can have musical talent and can't sing for the life of you ;)
  • as a guitarist...all I have to say is this:

[url]http://www.southparkzone.com/episodes/1113/Guitar-Queer-o.html[/url]
  • [QUOTE=croxis;168752]You can have musical talent and can't sing for the life of you ;)[/QUOTE]

haha, yes, so true.

In discussions on Musician's Forum, a lot of people there are led to believe that generally musical talent hinders ability to play GH at first, because you have to adjust to the quirks of the game. When I played Rock Band at my friend's house, I could not drum how I or others drum, I had to adjust my playing to fit the workings of the game. Which is often more difficult for experienced musicians.
    awesome episode, as usual...
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Try this: Play guitar hero with the audio on mute. You can do just fine in most cases. The music created is more or less a result of your success in playing, rather than your play resulting from the music. It's a game of coordination, reflexes, and multi-tasking, not one of musical talent. Interest in music can certainly make it more enjoyable and those who are drawn to it are likely those already into such things. Games such as Rock Band (and related tonal registers) *do* draw their results from musical talent. Your ability to do well in those games requires you to accurately reproduce a range of sound with your voice.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    croxis- so true, I am a drummer and I suck at melodic percussion
    You and seafroggys will get along just fine then :D
  • But I don't suck a melodic percussion! Bastard!
  • My Thursday and Friday nights [i]are[/i] Guitar Hero, and Rock Band so long as the friend who owns it is in town.

On the one hand, I don't have any musical experience beyond junior high and I can do just fine on Expert (mostly--the final tier of GH3 is more of a challenge on Hard than any other song on Expert); on the other hand, I have a friend who plays guitar and piano, and who could probably destroy [url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=W4M7f4-bhbE]Through the Fire and the Flames[/url].

Almost all of my other friends are musically talented, and their skill ranges from abysmal to proficient. It's definitely more about manual dexterity and coordination than anything.
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    Oh wow I remember Mario Paint too.

God I really want to get a Wii so I can do Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    bought GH3 for PC....basically it sucks regarding performance, it needs a monster Pc...
  • Tip of the day: Remember to stroke the spine on the monster PC.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    ZOMG. Ok, so we got our own Rock Band. Drums = amazing. wow.
  • Drums are amazing. Especially mine.

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/seafroggys/Drum%20Pics/P1010652.jpg[/IMG]
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    ba dum pa pssh!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Why do you have to play in the driveway? Aren't you allowed to play inside?
    No he isn't =p
  • Playing outside is such a blast, too.
    If you enjoy playing with a sweater!