Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

It's almost done!

SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
Yes, yes. The computer is almost complete. Everything is so close to being complete.

Here's the final tally of components:
[ul]
[LIST]
[*]Antec P182 w/ Seasonic PSU of sufficient (but not memorable) wattage
[*]Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P
[*]Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
[*]Scythe Ninja Plus Rev.B w/ SCURK1 backplate
[*]2gb GeiL DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 RAM
[*]MSI 8800GT, 512MB
[*]Hitachi Ultrastar 750gb (It was a better deal)
[*]USB External DVD Burner for installation and most near-term use.
[/LIST]

A short term into the future, I'm going to be adding a SATA DVD burner and both a modern keyboard (Logitech G15 Rev.2) and modern mouse (Logitech G5). Once I receive the remainder of the pile of parts, I'll have a selection of three operating systems to choose from. My minimum requirement is having both Windows XP SP2 and MacOS 10.5.2 in a dual-boot configuration. I may also soon acquire an X-Fi from a friend and, upon the release of the conversion software, an 8500GT or 8600GT for use as a physics accelerator.

Total cost as configured in the list, just under $1200. Not too bad, but I think I probably could have saved a bit more by shopping with more care. With future components factored in, I'm probably looking at just about $1450 in total expenses to compete the package. I'll post pictures up once everything arrives and assembly begins.

I also need to go out and get some alternative LEDs to swap into the P182. the power LED, to my disappointment, is blue. White seems like it would look classy and given the size, be more than sufficient without being stupidly bright.

I do find it amusing that I have purchased a fairly large case with a good number of 5.25" drive bays but have nothing in them. :p I'll eventually acquire a 3.5" card reader of some sort, but I wish to find a model which allows for MicroSD without adapters (Suggestions?). And if I like it, I may get a breakout box for the X-Fi.

Once the system has proven itself stable for a while, I plan to expand its capabilities through overclocking. Likely a parent is going to inherit the memory as I upgrade to 4gb of DDR2 1066 and bump up the bus speeds a little bit. Bare minimum I hope to get is 3.0ghz per core, but depending on my success I may push as high as 3.2ghz.

So why did I build this? Supreme Commander! And probably some other games, too. But mostly to rock at supreme commander in massive 4v4 games on 80km maps. And maybe some Crysis.

Pics soon.

Comments

• C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    A good enough system. :)
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Crap. Utter crap. :laugh:
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE=Sanfam;170169]as I upgrade to 4gb of DDR2 1066[/QUOTE]Highest speed and/or lowest latencies aren't cost effective at all unless you play PiFast/SuperPi.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [QUOTE=E.T;170174]Highest speed and/or lowest latencies aren't cost effective at all unless you play PiFast/SuperPi.[/QUOTE]

$44 shipped doesn't leave much room for genuine negatives when it comes to two gigs of memory. :p Also was the reason I was leaning toward 800. Most of my games aren't terribly memory intensive (beyond utilizing huge chunks, that is). I doubted I'd notice much of any performance gained by choosing a faster speed given that 800 appears to be a relatively good price/performance region.

I'd also like to clarify that in the upgrade path, I had mentioned a plan to get DDR2 1066 for the future. This is mainly for offering a slightly greater range of overclocking potential if the current pair doesn't hold up well to my performance enhancements ;) shouldn't be a huge issue, though. mmm...asynchronous memory clock...
  • why not get Vista 64bit to take advantage of dx10?
  • Because Vista is a pile of crap. I'm hoping OpenGL 3.0 solves all the major problems related to modern PC gaming.
    Because It's an expensive pile of crap. I simply can't stand Vista and refuse to upgrade to something which *severely* impacts my gaming performance (-25% for many of my games versus the same configuration on XP) and offers me no measurable benefit. Re:DX10: Graphical prettyness is not a selling point for me when the trade-off is enormous bloat. Sure, I could see the water rippling about, but what would that actually offer me in terms of gameplay?
  • Btw, you really should change the heatsink from Ninja to Xigmatek HDT-S1283: [url]http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158187[/url]
    I'll pass on that given I already have it and that the cooler in question is a perfect fit for my use.

I intend to adapt some smaller bits of plastic to form ducts for the p182 case fans to pull air through while running the CPU [I]technically[/I] fanless before I overclock.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    So you'll be starting your list for your next computer soon then? :p
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;170215]So you'll be starting your list for your next computer soon then? :p[/QUOTE]

Heh heh! :D
    We'll have to see how it works itself out :p
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Money permitting I plan to build a new desktop this year too. No idea what I'll get tho, depends on the budget mostly
    It's got a pulse and thus far, makes almost no noise :D Idling at 27C but I need to install windows proper and get it going. Updates will be posted as they arrive.
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    i take it you didn't have to mess around with the jumpers then? ;)
    Not quite. As usual, I got the polarity of both the HDD and Power LEDs wrong, but that was about it. I did, however, spend twenty minutes fighting with a cable that is *just barely* long enough for the task. the 8-pin ATX power cable was just barely long enough to make the connection. I could have fallen back to the 4-pin, but when I have the option, I tend not to avoid using such things unless they are genuinely impossible (Rather than "Really really hard"). I guess it's more due to the fact that the ninja is friggin' huge and only leaves 1.5" of space for my giant fingers to work within.

Also, a sad note: My PSU has intense PFC/coil whine. It's a bit of a bummer and may lead to me returning and exchanging it for something else in the next few days. Corsair 520HX, here I come?

Also, it does seem as if I do need to re-apply my TIM. It's getting a little more toasty than it should, so I suspect an air pocket formed between one of the two different layers.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Sanfam was silly and spread it out manually. :p
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Doesn't it take some time for it to reach optimal thermal conductivity though?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Generally it's recommended that you break it in by letting it go through half a dozen thermal cycles (which means turning on the computer, using it for a day or so, then turning it off and leaving it off overnight).
    Currently in the process of doing just that. And yes, I was silly.

Gave it a good couple rounds of short-term testing and a quick overclock to 3.0ghz and properly set the timings on the memory. Currently running as stable as ever at 1.280v and idles cool. Load temps are within safe limits, but I'd prefer lower and will re-apply if the burn-in process will allow me. first cycle was completed earlier and I'm beginning to see some evening of the core temps (which I suspect is as much as I'll ever see). One week and I'll determine if I need/want to re-apply.

I'm pulling in 13,810 3DMarks right now (Up from 12,600ish at factory clock and timings), which I honestly don't know who or what to compare against, so it's fairly arbitrary to me.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Does this mean happy Supreme Commander?
    What are the temps under load? I'm just curious. :)
    I need to hammer down a result, but without re-applying the TIM and fans no higher than Medium, the system chimes in at <50C for the spreader and <60C for the hottest core (59, 58, 56, 54 now). Well within the safe range, but not what I want. Once I re-apply the TIM, I expect this to lower to a region I'm more comfortable with.
  • [QUOTE=Sanfam;170212](-25% for many of my games versus the same configuration on XP) and offers me no measurable benefit.[/quote]This is outdated information. With modern drivers, you will likely need an FPS counter to see a difference between the two operating systems.[QUOTE=Sanfam;170212]Re:DX10: Graphical prettyness is not a selling point for me when the trade-off is enormous bloat.[/QUOTE]On the contrary, general usage is often faster in Vista due to improvements such as SuperFetch. You're building a computer with four gigabytes of memory - in XP, that will simply sit empty doing nothing. Even when you open SupCom I doubt you'll exceed two or two and a half gigs. What people call bloat in Vista is actually SuperFetch actively caching your frequently used programs, so that when you open them for the first time, they're already in physical memory.

True, in screen shots that looks like "ZOMG TEH EVILS VISTA IS USING 2 GIGZORZ AT IDLE!" when in actuality, the memory is a cache which can be overwritten at a moment's notice if an intensive process (such as a game) requires it.
    Croxis: 2v2 full AI conflict on a 40km map with unit cap at its highest level, no problem whatsoever. It's mighty purdy, too. I can finally use strategies that will allow me to stay competitive! :D

[URL="http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMwNiw3LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA=="]The current prime example of the problem[/URL]. And here's [URL="http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/page4.html#3d_games"]another wonderful example[/URL] of trouble. (Yes, I do understand that some of these were done with earlier drivers that werent' properly optimized for Vista, but the latest benchmarks don't show much improvement)

And SuperFetch hasn't had too many benchmarks show it is actually performing a beneficial task. Superfetch aside, In almost every single case, Vista chimes in with lower synthetic and real-world scores.

And regarding 4gb of memory, given that a 32-bit OS won't register more than 3.25gb (per addressing limitations), it doesn't matter much. The biggest reason why I'd like that much memory is to enable me to not only game, but perform other background tasks as well. I do not want to stop everything I am doing and close down each and every task just so I can free up enough memory to play a game. (I am, however, only running 2GB at present)

The bloat is there, but not entirely in memory consumption. It's in the complete waste of system resources that is Aero. It's the massive UI elements, it's the incredible number of services running and the minimum requirements to prevent a system from being sluggish. Even Windows XP could run on a system that wasn't necessarily fast. I have it (admittedly, barely, due to insufficient RAM) functioning on a Crusoe 5600-based machine with 112mb of memory and it is suited for the basic tasks I tend to use it for. Keep in mind that this is barely even enough for 2000 and just enough for 98. Vista is a whale of an OS with *nothing* in it that even remotely tempts me.
    I tried Vista out for about a month. IMO it's not as snappy as XP in normal usage and didn't see much difference in the one DX10 game I own, so I jumped back to XP.
  • Vista Basic 64bit..yeap my next machine

[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7270757.stm[/url]
    Vista Basic...I hope you do realize that to be quite possibly the most handicapped version available in the US ;)
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Vista Basic...are you insane!?
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Especially since MS just dropped the prices on Vista... I paid a pretty penny for Vista Ultimate. but i got OEM, so saved a bit.